Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:30 AM

209 posts, read 657,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Cool, but my statement wasn't necessarily directed towards you.

ahhh I see... and I agree with you somewhat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 11:40 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
I live in an older subdivision in my city. I wouldnt really call it suburban because this is an older area built in the 70's as more of an addition to the side of the main road, but its also not fully urban as it is located a few miles south of downtown, and the surrounding area is more suburban in appearance. Its really mixed. Its also somewhat rural actually, as the city has a lot of undeveloped land in it (which is quickly beginnig to fill up lately). I suppose my city is a bit unique. It isnt called the heart of Acadiana for nothing.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:51 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
Uh oh, we must've offended a suburbanite! I'm not opposed to suburbs on principal. It's the traditional strip mall, subdivision, drive in your car for 45 minutes to an hour to work with a guy in a minivan and a 'Rush is Right' bumper sticker next to me type of suburb that I don't like. There are actually some really cool suburbs. I used to live in the St. Louis area for instance, and Clayton, MO is a cool place with a pretty urban feel actually.
No a suburbanite, live in Cleveland. There are NO cookie-cutter box type homes in the inner-ring suburbs around Cleveland. That's just a fact. Here's the Gold Cost in Lakewood (omg a suburb!).. the city is about 10k ppl per sq mile.

From my experience, the explanation you gave above certainly isn't true for all suburbs. In Cleveland for instance Lakewood, Cleveland Hts, Shaker Hts, Euclid, East Cleveland, Rocky River, University Hts, I could go on and on.. aren't really suburban. All are minutes from downtown, densely populated, and unique architecture that by no means is cookie-cutter. These areas certainly have little to no subdivisions either.

I believe the media is to blame (once again) for the misconception of suburbs. But I do agree about the strip malls and subdivisions being horribly ugly and not appealing. That's a HUGE reason why I don't like Columbus, OH (outside the city) because of the cookie-cutter / strip mall feeling.. but Cleveland in general has MANY suburbs which are the exact opposite of what you are describing.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:30 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
I guess in my mind there are four types of living environments. 1. urban 2. suburban 3. small town rural 4. completely out in the sticks rural. I prefer urban and completely out in the sticks rural.
I agree 100%!!

I either want a lively urban environment, or (in my current case), I want to look out the window and be able to see 2 or 3 miles with fields, barns and silos in the distance!

Living in the suburbs or living IN a small town (not to be confused with living outside of a small town) are my least favorite options.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:37 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejake21
I don't want to live in cookie cutter sub divisions with 100 homes that look almost the same.

This sentiment always cracks me up because it often comes from from folks who enjoy living in urban neighborhoods with houses that almost look the same, the only difference being that they're crammed closer together.
LOL. That is kinda true.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:11 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
No a suburbanite, live in Cleveland. There are NO cookie-cutter box type homes in the inner-ring suburbs around Cleveland. That's just a fact. Here's the Gold Cost in Lakewood (omg a suburb!).. the city is about 10k ppl per sq mile.

From my experience, the explanation you gave above certainly isn't true for all suburbs. In Cleveland for instance Lakewood, Cleveland Hts, Shaker Hts, Euclid, East Cleveland, Rocky River, University Hts, I could go on and on.. aren't really suburban. All are minutes from downtown, densely populated, and unique architecture that by no means is cookie-cutter. These areas certainly have little to no subdivisions either.

I believe the media is to blame (once again) for the misconception of suburbs. But I do agree about the strip malls and subdivisions being horribly ugly and not appealing. That's a HUGE reason why I don't like Columbus, OH (outside the city) because of the cookie-cutter / strip mall feeling.. but Cleveland in general has MANY suburbs which are the exact opposite of what you are describing.

If the Cleveland neighborhoods you describe are "minutes from downtown, densely populated, and unique architecture that by no means is cookie-cutter", than I wouldn't really classify them as typical suburbs. I mean if they are just minutes from downtown would they really be that suburban?

I don't find anything inherently wrong with living in suburbs..It's more just a matter of personal choice. If a suburb is dense and walkable, has it's own cultural amenities, decent nightlife, recreation, etc--it really doesn't feel like a suburb to me. Which is more of what I mean when I said I didn't prefer to live in the suburbs or small towns.. I find them boring, it's just my opinion and feeling..Yes there are nicer older suburbs, but I just don't enjoy the feel of typical suburbs.

I've just always prefered to be either in the thick of the urban action or out on the edge of the wilderness. Funny how this thread started out as people just describing a similar preference and turned into a defense of the suburbanites!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:06 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
If the Cleveland neighborhoods you describe are "minutes from downtown, densely populated, and unique architecture that by no means is cookie-cutter", than I wouldn't really classify them as typical suburbs. I mean if they are just minutes from downtown would they really be that suburban?

I don't find anything inherently wrong with living in suburbs..It's more just a matter of personal choice. If a suburb is dense and walkable, has it's own cultural amenities, decent nightlife, recreation, etc--it really doesn't feel like a suburb to me. Which is more of what I mean when I said I didn't prefer to live in the suburbs or small towns.. I find them boring, it's just my opinion and feeling..Yes there are nicer older suburbs, but I just don't enjoy the feel of typical suburbs.

I've just always prefered to be either in the thick of the urban action or out on the edge of the wilderness. Funny how this thread started out as people just describing a similar preference and turned into a defense of the suburbanites!
I pretty much agree with you completely. Maybe that's where there was misunderstanding. I think it is good to note, most older suburbs have entirely different feel then the newer suburbs due to the urban sprawl. I feel a lot of east coast cities have the older suburbs, which in turn, don't feel suburban. The same can be said about many Cleveland suburbs (and other rust belt cities as well).

Cookie-cutter homes and strip malls really don't appeal to me. Walkability is also something that appeals to me.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:04 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
People move to the suburbs to get closer to nature which apparently involves driving a tremendously huge car to Wal*Mart and complaining about crime.

ABQConvict

Wow - sounds like you live in my extremely boring west St. Louis County suburb. We're getting out of the 'burbs as soon as the youngest one graduates from high school. To the CITY!!!

inahandbasket

Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
This sentiment always cracks me up because it often comes from from folks who enjoy living in urban neighborhoods with houses that almost look the same, the only difference being that they're crammed closer together.
I gather you've never seen the incredibly varied architecture of St. Louis city neighborhoods...

inahandbasket

Old 08-03-2009, 08:01 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
I gather you've never seen the incredibly varied architecture of St. Louis city neighborhoods...

inahandbasket
You mean like the row housing in south city that looks pretty much alike?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning