Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
You mean like the row housing in south city that looks pretty much alike?
I lived in St. Louis for a couple of years, and I agree that some neighborhoods of the city have many 'row-houses' or whatever. I do think that most of the newer neighborhoods in the 'burbs have a more generic or sterile feel though, and it's not appealing to me. Something about older neighborhoods in urban or more densely populated areas makes them more interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 05:50 PM

306 posts, read 476,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
Everyone in my family, and most of my friends have chosen to live in generic suburbs around Midwestern cities. I think most suburbs are pretty much the same everywhere around the country, and I can't imagine living in any of them. I want to be either in the center of a large city like NY or Chicago, or out in Montana in a log cabin near some mountains with a couple of horses grazing in the yard. In my opinion, suburbs (and even small towns) are the worst of all the options.

I guess in my mind there are four types of living environments. 1. urban 2. suburban 3. small town rural 4. completely out in the sticks rural. I prefer urban and completely out in the sticks rural.

In a strange way, to me, both of my preferred lifestyles offer a certain amount of privacy and anonymity that aren't available in small towns and suburbs. I grew up in a small town (too gossipy and provincial) and lived in a couple of subdivisions in the 'burbs (a little gossipy, but very boring and un-original).

In a city no one gives a crap about your business and out in the sticks, no one's around to bother you. I'm guessing that many people choose the 'burbs out of necessity because of convenience of jobs and schools if they have children, but I wonder how many people who live in one actually LOVE it? I'm still trying to figure out why someone would prefer a close-minded and gossipy small town (remember that I grew up in one).

Am I strange or what? lol! Does anyone else prefer these same 2 city and country extremes?
I'm feeling you. Idk about the sticks, the Urban life is whats up. If I need attention, I go downtown and do something crazy. If I need privacy, I got about my day normally.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:16 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,788 times
Quote:
You mean like the row housing in south city that looks pretty much alike?
That's not the only type of architecture in STL and you know it! Would you call the beautiful houses along Forest Park Parkway boring? How about the Shaw neighborhood? How about Utah Place and all of Tower Grove Heights?
The inner ring 'suburbs' of University City and Clayton have incredibly varied architecture as well.

You're probably one of those city haters who thinks that PF Chang's is authentic Asian food.

inahandbasket

Old 08-06-2009, 07:09 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
You're probably one of those city haters who thinks that PF Chang's is authentic Asian food.
Boy how little you know about me. It is true that I live in suburbia, for reasons that are my own, but I enjoy my forays into the city. My point is that you can go into any urban neighborhood and find clusters of houses that are similar in architecture and layout -- no different than what you find in suburbia. The only difference is that they are older and were built closer together because of the era in which they were built. So, I find the "cookie cutter" statements a bit silly.

For the record, I've eaten at Chang's only once. I'm not much on Asian food, although I've been known to venture into Chicago's Chinatown every now and then.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:08 PM

167 posts, read 435,249 times
couldn't stand living in Arlington, TX even though its between Dallas and Fort Worth the whole metroplex was just to suburban for me. Grew up in LA and if I lived in the suburbs I'd pick some place like Burbank cause its barely suburban (at least to me)

Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM

28 posts, read 38,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
People move to the suburbs to get closer to nature which apparently involves driving a tremendously huge car to Wal*Mart and complaining about crime.

ABQConvict
I agree it is strange that people in the suburbs spend most of their time indoors, either in their cars, houses,or malls and big box stores. I seldom saw my neighbors outside when I lived i n the 'burbs and now that I live in the city, I see people out all the time ( well not as much in the winter, but even then more than in the 'burbs). I think that having front porches and places to walk to really makes a difference.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
This sentiment always cracks me up because it often comes from from folks who enjoy living in urban neighborhoods with houses that almost look the same, the only difference being that they're crammed closer together.
In my city the only neighborhoods that have houses that "almost look the same" are the ones that were created in the 60's and 70's by developers trying to compete with the suburbs. My neighborhood of 100+
year old houses are full of variety and interest, and no, it is not an official "historical" area.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
While I totally understand where people are coming from, and I agree with them on cookie-cutter sprawl, but many suburban areas are not like this.

Many suburban areas of many major cities often have significant amounts of protected land nearby to recreate and enjoy nature. I know here in the Forest preserves of the Chicago suburbs I can take someone to places they would swear was way out in the boondocks. There are 68,000 acres protected in Cook County alone, and there are 5 million people in the county!

Marin County north of San Francisco is largely protected parkland, and I know areas outside LA. there are mountains that are protected under National Forests (San Gabriels, Santa Monica Mtns.)

Near New York City the Appalachian Trail runs through the exurbs of New York state and New Jersey.

The REAL issue is that many people don't know and parents don't take or encourage their kids to enjoy the places.
It is unfortunate that people often do not take advantage of sites that are close to them. Some cities also have large protected areas within their borders. The city I live in has many areas that look like national forests as well as meadow land, and of course more groomed parks. I live in easy walking distance of several parks as well as an extensive trail system (about 22 miles within the city limits) that connects with natural areas outside the city.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB27 View Post
Eh, let them hate the suburbs. I'll continue to enjoy them. I've visited friends who live in a dense, urban area in Brooklyn. Boy, what a terrible way to live IMO. Couldn't pay me enough to live like that.

It is ok to enjoy living in the suburbs, but if you do, realize that suburban living requires a much larger carbon footprint, thus increasing global climate change, and most suburban living uses much more energy and creates more pollution per person than urban living. Yes, urban schools generally are not as good as suburban ones, but that is more due to the fact that most urban school students are from poor or lower middle class backgrounds, and there is less per pupil expenditures than in the suburbs. When I was in school (back in the olden days) the urban schools were better than those in the 'burbs (at least where I grew up). I went to both urban and suburban schools, and received a better education in the city.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsdaddy View Post
It is ok to enjoy living in the suburbs, but if you do, realize that suburban living requires a much larger carbon footprint, thus increasing global climate change, and most suburban living uses much more energy and creates more pollution per person than urban living. Yes, urban schools generally are not as good as suburban ones, but that is more due to the fact that most urban school students are from poor or lower middle class backgrounds, and there is less per pupil expenditures than in the suburbs. When I was in school (back in the olden days) the urban schools were better than those in the 'burbs (at least where I grew up). I went to both urban and suburban schools, and received a better education in the city.
Oh, bull puckey! I live 4 1/2 miles from my job. If I lived in "the city" (Denver), I'd live a minimum of 25 miles from it.

Re: schools, most urban schools have a higher per-pupil cost than suburban schools. There have been several discussions with good links posted about this issue on this forum.

Your experience is anecdotal. I'm glad you think you got a good education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning