Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is more sustainable?
Manhattan 58 79.45%
Suburban Sprawl 15 20.55%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:55 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times

Advertisements

Manhattan, hands down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 04:57 PM

804 posts, read 2,402,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
lol, which has more beer in it, the supermarket or my pool?
Yeah... you killed it.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:49 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Yeah... you killed it.
yep.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:08 PM

31 posts, read 36,828 times
Manhatten had the greatest designers and architectual minds in the world. The subway sytem, infrastructure, water system are the best in the World. The average developer in these urban sprawl areas like Florida only know how to tack drywall together with a stable gun. The comparison is laughable. Manhatten has stood the test of time, these urban sprawl areas are filled with vacancies and tired digusting structures that are 20 years old and look like they should be condemned.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:10 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Who cares which is more sustainable? The more important question is which type is more amenable to a superhero crimefighter? You need the ultra-high density urban environments like Manhattan for that. Spiderman's preferred mode of transportion is rendered completely ineffective in a place like Phoenix. Monitoring a city the geographic size of Houston is far too big a project for a loner like Batman.
ROTF

Best post I seen in a while, lol. Your logic is clear, precise and to the point.

Although, now that I think about it, Batman lives in the suburbs!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:26 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Manhattan easily... one of the things that bothers me about suburban sprrawl... If more people moved back into cities which it looks like it is trending too we'll have a lot more green space to play in.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:14 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
well, you could grow more food in a suburban backyard. You could put solar panels on your roof, you could drink well water, you could telecommute or drive a prius, etc

Old 07-31-2009, 06:53 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Manhattan, NY or sprawling suburbia in the sunbelt?
You're the one who lives in the burbs up there in New York. My Sunbelt-dwelling lives in the middle of an urban neighborhood in Atlanta.

BTW, density doesn't always equal sustainability. I would argue that areas like Greenwich Village, Chelsea, and SoHo are sustainable areas given the scale of development and the re-use of existing buildings. Midtown Manhattan is not really that sustainable given the amount of energy highrises consume (HVAC, lighting, etc). Also, an intense concentration of highrises--while appealing to the eye from far away--doesn't provide an ideal neighborhood environment as residents in highrises live over 100 feet above the street--where all of the day-to-day neighborhood activity and interaction takes place.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-31-2009 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: language

Old 07-31-2009, 03:49 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
What kind of poll is this? It is obvious what you're trying to say.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:23 PM

411 posts, read 1,165,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
well, you could grow more food in a suburban backyard. You could put solar panels on your roof, you could drink well water, you could telecommute or drive a prius, etc
High-rises can have big solar panels. There is talk about "skyscraper farms." You can use collected rainwater for toilets, etc. Instead of driving, you can take the subway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
You're the one who lives in the burbs up there in New York.
I never said I lived in New York. I just said that I live in a small suburban city (somewhere I will not mention in the USA) but wish I lived in Manhattan.
Quote:
Midtown Manhattan is not really that sustainable given the amount of energy highrises consume (HVAC, lighting, etc).
Well it also wouldn't be sustainable to spread all those offices out in low-rises. Renewable energy can be used for HVAC and lighting. And sure skyscrapers as a whole use a lot of energy, but what about each unit per capita? If all the units in a skyscraper were spread out into individual buildings, the units would use more energy.
Quote:
residents in highrises live over 100 feet above the street--where all of the day-to-day neighborhood activity and interaction takes place.
What's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning