Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:19 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times

Advertisements

Stillfresh,

Believe me if you lived in an environment where mass transit was very efficient, you would adapt quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 12:23 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Stillfresh,

Believe me if you lived in an environment where mass transit was very efficient, you would adapt quickly.
That is true.. It's kind of relaxing and if you live in a good sized metro, it's very convienent

Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Stillfresh,

I agree, I lived all my life in areas with good mass transit and when I moved to Orlando FL for a short time I was dying with their horrible public transportation.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:26 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I agree, I lived all my life in areas with good mass transit and when I moved to Orlando FL for a short time I was dying with their horrible public transportation.
I had the same experience there! The busses ran once an hour an a couple ran like every 75 minutes

Old 08-18-2009, 12:28 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
Large scale paratrooper drops.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:38 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Best mass transit

Old 08-18-2009, 01:37 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times
Anyone who has spent significant time in NYC, DC, or any city in Europe would understand why truly efficient mass transit is much more desirable than having to drive to everything. So many headaches are relieved when you can just sit back and let someone else do the driving. People who are all about driving to everywhere for everything like to talk about freedom and independence. I’m sorry, but my idea of freedom is being able to relax and listen to my iPod or read a book and just get off the train when I arrive at my destination. Being stuck in traffic, having to constantly pay attention to everyone else around me, worrying about parking, watching for speeding tickets, dumping thousands of dollars into car maintenance, gas, and insurance….not really my idea of freedom. Now I will say that cars are great for taking road trips and excursions into the countryside. But I when it comes to urban areas, cars are more of a hassle than anything else, especially if your city offers viable mass transit options. And please, don’t give me the “Well, I like to look good in my ride” argument If you need luxury leather seats to be comfortable you’ve been sheltered way too much.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:43 PM

250 posts, read 246,247 times
negative the car gives you more freedom than trains regardless of how dependable they are. on an average day i travel from my house, to school, to work, to the store for lunch, back to work and then home. i would have to plan out my trip according to the schedule the bus or trains im planning to take in order for my day to work out. having a car takes all that away, the only thing i have to do is leave my house early enough to make it to my destination on time. that's literally all the planning involved. huge transit systems like ny's don't exist everywhere, and even if they did they'd only be worth the time if there were massive traffic jam areas like in manhattan that made driving a nightmare. and since i dont live in one of those areas, the transit system is more expensive than driving and less convenient

Old 08-18-2009, 01:48 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times
After I come home from work in the afternoon, I try to avoid going anywhere until after 7 PM due to LA traffic. If it's a Friday afternoon, make that 8 PM. Not my idea of freedom. And huge transit systems do exist everywhere. They just don't exist everywhere in the United States.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:53 PM

250 posts, read 246,247 times
that is what i meant, i dont care about what other countries are doing
L.A traffic is notoriously garbage, and that is one place where a huge transit system would definitely help
living in the bay area i have none of those problems. i dont have to commute into SF from the bay bridge so at worse i encounter 40mph traffic in the freeway. if current conditions remained and a huge subway system was put in place here i would still choose to drive over taking bus/subway. the only time id take it is if i got hammered one night and didnt wana drive home.
ive been on the nyc subway/bus system many times as i visit there often each year, and i can't stand waiting around crowded/muggy subway stations, having to touch the filthy rails, sitting next to some weirdo or just depending so much on someone else to get me from point a to point B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning