Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,340,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No, they really aren't the same at all. The only Light Rail system that performs like Heavy Rail is in St. Louis. They have total grade separation there, which is unique for Light Rail in the U.S.

Heavy Rail is totally different from all other Light Rail systems in that the trains are much longer, have a much higher capacity and travel at much higher speeds.
Yeah, I see the differences, but you can easily have a light rail system trains 4 or 5 cars long, then what would the difference be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 11:27 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Yeah, I see the differences, but you can easily have a light rail system trains 4 or 5 cars long, then what would the difference be
Speed and capacity. The Heavy Rail system here has speeds on certain segments that approach 70 mph. Also, Heavy Rail cars are wider and longer, so their capacity is much greater. Almost all Heavy Rail systems are totally grade separated.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:31 AM

Thanks, I didn't know the trains were longer, I knew they were faster. Our trains are supposed to have max speed of 55, so I guess that's kinda slow. But for some reason I like the overall feel of a LRV than a heavy rail subway. LRV's also tend to be cleaner? Especially when comparing to the NYC of Philadelphia subway. Subways are great, but only needed in insanely dense cities. Like someone stated earlier, cities like Charlotte, Houston, Seattle, Norfolk, are perfect fit for light rail.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I didn't know the trains were longer, I knew they were faster. Our trains are supposed to have max speed of 55, so I guess that's kinda slow. But for some reason I like the overall feel of a LRV than a heavy rail subway. LRV's also tend to be cleaner? Especially when comparing to the NYC of Philadelphia subway. Subways are great, but only needed in insanely dense cities. Like someone stated earlier, cities like Charlotte, Houston, Seattle, Norfolk, are perfect fit for light rail.
Yeah, I am very happy that you guys are building a LRT system. And you're right, Heavy Rail can only work in certain cities.

The cleanliness factor varies from city to city. Our trains are pretty spotless, especially the new ones. They even have tv monitors in the cars, and electronic station announcements.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:58 AM

Yeah I'm happy too.

I haven't been on a MARTA train, I heard they are nice, though. My favorite subway was D.C. but I'm not so sure about that anymore.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:17 PM

^They are very similar, but of course D.C. has more than double our track miles.

The BIG difference is that we did the maintenance on our rail cars that Metro delayed. The most recent wreck up there would not have happened here due to that single difference.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:19 PM

What are the frequencies on MARTA rail?

Old 08-13-2009, 12:22 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
http://bitsandpieces.us/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/imagescamel-20bus-small.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-13-2009, 07:21 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Quickest? Most efficient? Asthetically pleasing? Etc?
Trains; high speed, if our government was "on the ball", instead of encouraging infighting among our citizens!

Old 08-16-2009, 03:02 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
No I think they are perfect and adequate for Charlotte, Seattle (maybe), and Norfolk. Not for cities like Houston which is approaching 6 million people in it's entire metropolitan area. I know density is a factor but when the density increases for a area like Houston, light rail will not be as adequate as heavy rail. Also I don't know if LRV's are cleaner, but DC's system is pretty clean. There are many cities that not insanely dense that has heavy rail systems. Like Atlanta. Besides, there's only two or three cities in America that's insanely dense anyway. DC is dense but not insane and their metro has the 2nd highest ridership in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning