Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 11:22 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,341,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
My favorite?

An SUV with an obese person driving it alone. Mass transit.
BOO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 11:44 AM

250 posts, read 246,095 times
i hate mass transit i love driving.
however the subways in nyc, while hot and sometimes very filthy, were very fast and efficient/dependable

Old 08-18-2009, 11:48 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,379 times
Yes it is still the best system which provides as close as an alternative to driving, sometimes more efficient because of the traffic. However, driving is still by far the most superior method of transit nowadays. Its overall efficiency, flexibility, comfort, etc can't be matched. The headache is that in some places driving/parking can be expensive. The traffic problem can be scary sometimes, but overall it is not that intolerable. Just consider how many people take taxi in NYC traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
i hate mass transit i love driving.
however the subways in nyc, while hot and sometimes very filthy, were very fast and efficient/dependable

Old 08-18-2009, 11:53 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times
My favorite form of mass transit is the PATCO and SEPTA trains.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:56 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Yes it is still the best system which provides as close as an alternative to driving, sometimes more efficient because of the traffic. However, driving is still by far the most superior method of transit nowadays. Its overall efficiency, flexibility, comfort, etc can't be matched. The headache is that in some places driving/parking can be expensive. The traffic problem can be scary sometimes, but overall it is not that intolerable. Just consider how many people take taxi in NYC traffic.
The problem with driving is where do you put all the cars when they are not in use? If everyone who worked in Manhattan drove instead of taking transit, you'd have to pave all of Central Park to make room for them.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,379 times
Yes that's why I said it can become expensive in certain places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
The problem with driving is where do you put all the cars when they are not in use? If everyone who worked in Manhattan drove instead of taking transit, you'd have to pave all of Central Park to make room for them.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
(the other being that it doesn't run 24 hours but do not complain about that because no system outside of NY does.)
Most of Chicago's lines are 24/7. Most bus lines too.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:59 AM

250 posts, read 246,095 times
i know people in ny (adults) who never bothered getting their drivers license because the transit systems there are so well planned that they didnt care for it. being from california i thought it was the weirdest thing since ive been driving since i was 15, and i can't imagine depending on buses/trains to get around like that.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
My favorite form of mass transit is the PATCO and SEPTA trains.
SEPTA is absolutely filthy. I used to take it from Bryn Mawr to DT-ewww. Its even dirtier than Chicago's (which says a lot-I was on that system for over 12 years).

Old 08-18-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
i know people in ny (adults) who never bothered getting their drivers license because the transit systems there are so well planned that they didnt care for it. being from california i thought it was the weirdest thing since ive been driving since i was 15, and i can't imagine depending on buses/trains to get around like that.
My Aunt and Uncle lived on Roosevelt Island. When they retired in their early 70's, they moved to Santa Fe, bought a car and learned to drive (glad I never drove with them!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning