Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In Which Suburan Community Would You Rather Live?
New Urbanist 38 41.30%
Golf Community 5 5.43%
"Regular" Suburbia 35 38.04%
Master Planned Community 14 15.22%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:03 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-of-nowhere View Post
Whichever category suburbs like Bethesda MD or Bellevue WA fall, that's what I like.
Not familiar with Bellevue. Based on the criteria named by others on this board, Bethesda would fall into the category of "regular suburbia" with some urban characteristics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 06:21 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
You should have said all that from the get go and there wouldn't have been confusion.
I said I was giving examples and that the poll itself was not ABOUT the specific examples. That should have been sufficient. I took it for granted that people know the difference between a borough and a neighborhood when I made a poll about the type of neighborhoods people prefer and gave examples of places that have typical neighborhoods that fit a category.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
New Urbanist, which may or may not be master-planned.

I hate hate HATE subdivisions, "gated communities," golf course subdivisions, "country clubs," and the like. They are a ridiculous waste of land and resources, have absolutely no architectural value (cookie-cutter houses), and pop up with absolutely NO planning whatsoever. Another thing I despise about subdivisions is their fakeness: fake, ridiculous names like "Candlewood Meadows," "Stratford Hills," and "Whispering Creek;" fake "historical" look, and faux-rich residents who just HAVE to have that four-car garage and oversized deck, and need to live behind a gate to keep the rest of big bad world out.
1. Actually they DO have architectural value. Not everybody likes the same architecture. But just because a place doesn't have the specific architecture YOU like doesn't mean it has NO architectural value. I've seen subdivisions or gated communities with Spanish/Mediterranean architecture. Guess what- they DO have architectural value.

2. The "fakeness" sounds like a personal problem. I mean come on, "beefing" over the names. That's awfully petty. But hey, it's people's prerogative to be petty if they want to.

I'm not taking offense here to you hating those places. However, I am pointing out the difference between bias and objectivity. I don't like Georgian architecture, but I've got enough objectivity to know not to say that a place WITH Georgian architecture has no architectural value just because I don't like that style. It's completely your prerogative to have no objectivity if you wish. But when I see it, I'm going to point it out.

Having said that, I'm with you on the dislike for the gated or golf or country club neighborhoods which do not have a village atmosphere, ie. don't have a retail core and parks and walking/biking trails, basically the exclusive neighborhoods in "regular" suburbia as opposed to master planned communities, which I prefer.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:51 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
The largest New Urbanist/ Master Planned community in the United States... Mesa del Sol. In Albuquerque.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:17 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
I said I was giving examples and that the poll itself was not ABOUT the specific examples. That should have been sufficient. I took it for granted that people know the difference between a borough and a neighborhood when I made a poll about the type of neighborhoods people prefer and gave examples of places that have typical neighborhoods that fit a category.
Well it wasn't just me, it was two other people disagreeing with you also, so it's quite evident that you werent making your point clear.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:29 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Shaker Heights, OH, Cleveland Heights, Chagrin Falls, Rocky River, etc... I guess Regular Suburbia.. but to me those are older homes, nice neighborhoods, close to downtown areas.. When I think "regular" suburbs I think 10,000 homes that look the same ala Las Vegas. I hate cookie cutter box homes surrounding by strip malls. I like suburbs with history and character.. they have much more charm.

In the neighborhoods listed (excluding chagrin).. you can basically walk restaurants, bars, theatres, parks, stores, etc. Or you can hop on a bus or rapid and go downtown. To me, that is the perfect suburb. All the amenities of an urban core, but safer, less congested, and slower pace of life.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well it wasn't just me, it was two other people disagreeing with you also, so it's quite evident that you werent making your point clear.
It's evident that multiple people just wanted to argue sematics rather than just read the intro for what it actually says and vote in the poll. I stand by everything I've written. There's always going to be somebody who wants to argue about something or against someone, even if that someone is Rudy Giuliani himself.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Shaker Heights, OH, Cleveland Heights, Chagrin Falls, Rocky River, etc... I guess Regular Suburbia.. but to me those are older homes, nice neighborhoods, close to downtown areas.. When I think "regular" suburbs I think 10,000 homes that look the same ala Las Vegas.
What if there was a suburb somewhere in America that had 10,000 homes that look the same in the "older homes" style you like in those areas you mentioned?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:57 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,891 times
Quote:
It's evident that multiple people just wanted to argue sematics rather than just read the intro for what it actually says and vote in the poll. I stand by everything I've written. There's always going to be somebody who wants to argue about something or against someone, even if that someone is Rudy Giuliani himself.
The only thing I was trying to do was state that Staten Island does not fit the definition of suburbia. That's it.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:28 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
What if there was a suburb somewhere in America that had 10,000 homes that look the same in the "older homes" style you like in those areas you mentioned?
Well, many rowhouses have that same look. Of course I still wouldn't like the area as much if it had 10,000 homes that looked exactly the same..But I still like the architecture better. In my opinion, older homes have more character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning