Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:48 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,081,919 times

Advertisements

are there any new commuter or intra-city rail projects being planned or built in any areas of the U.S. I know in the Hartford/Springfield area they are trying to start a commuter rail line that runs from Springfield to new haven. just curious to know if any other states are adding new or adding on to existing rail lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 06:20 PM

16,453 posts, read 19,469,725 times
It's not new, but have you seen the system in downtown Miami?
I was impressed when I saw it and rode it. They have rail lines above the city and unmanned cars that just do complete loops all day. And get this.... it's free.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:35 PM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
Google light rail or get on Wikipedia.org and punch in light rail, and you'll be astounded at how the light rail systems are sprouting up all over the country.

Phoenix just opened its first line last Xmas. Tucson is building a smaller system there. St. Louis, Denver, Portland, Seattle (just opened its first line), Salt Lake City, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Sacramento, San Diego, Minneapolis, the list goes on.

Here in Las Vegas we have a monorail just for the tourists but a light rail isn't even being considered here at this time. We'll be the last of the Mohicans to get a light rail system.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:18 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,344,256 times
Denver is now in the process of the largest build out of commuter rail in the nation. It is called Fastracks and will add to the existing rail FasTracks Home

The Denver Metro area has an extensive system of public transit that runs through the multi-county region under RTD http://www.rtd-denver.com/index.shtml I am an ex New Yorker and have lived in the Denver area for many decades. It is very impressive to me, that Denver has such a good system and has progressive plans for the future.

The Denver metro area is good place to move if you want to go car free, or use your car less, because you have the advantages of good public transit.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-24-2009 at 09:32 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 PM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times
Default The Route of Phoebe Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
are there any new commuter or intra-city rail projects being planned or built in any areas of the U.S. I know in the Hartford/Springfield area they are trying to start a commuter rail line that runs from Springfield to new haven. just curious to know if any other states are adding new or adding on to existing rail lines.
I read that New Jersey is rebuilding a OLD railroad line (Delaware, Lackawana and Western Railroad) from Northern New Jersey all the way to Scranton, Pennsylvania. I assume Pennsylvania is also paying for it (otherwise NJ politicians are morons!) but maybe someone else has more details.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:49 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,255,339 times
The Northstar in Minneapolis (Northstar Commuter Rail.).

It's set to open in November 2009. It's a real commuter line, not light rail. A future extension is designed to take the line up to St. Cloud, MN.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:52 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,201,087 times
A couple of notable projects taking place in New York are the 2nd Avenue subway line (long, long overdue) and the LIRR access to Grand Central Terminal project.

One other project, actually study, going on is an effort to extend the VRE Manassas Line in northern Virginia from just outside Manassas to (I think) Gainesville, VA.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:25 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,968,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
A couple of notable projects taking place in New York are the 2nd Avenue subway line (long, long overdue) and the LIRR access to Grand Central Terminal project.

One other project, actually study, going on is an effort to extend the VRE Manassas Line in northern Virginia from just outside Manassas to (I think) Gainesville, VA.
The 2nd Avenue subway line in NYC has been started and stopped twice before (due to lack of money as far I was told). Let's hope that the 3rd time it actually gets completed.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:36 AM

6,615 posts, read 16,490,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The Northstar in Minneapolis (Northstar Commuter Rail.).

It's set to open in November 2009. It's a real commuter line, not light rail. A future extension is designed to take the line up to St. Cloud, MN.
In addition, preliminary construction has just begun on the Cetral Corridor LRT line connecting the 2 downtowns of Mpls & St Paul. Last I heard they are talking about 2014 before it is opened.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:45 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,241,956 times
In Ohio, they'll be voting on this soon:

It is a passenger rail that will use existing freight rail lines.

Here's the CD thread on it: Do you support the proposed Ohio Rail (3-C Connector)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning