U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:27 PM

745 posts, read 990,392 times
I think Density is so overated. Density is so dirty and crowded.

And What is good Walkability? because living in surburbia I feel I had good walkability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 01:31 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,378,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post

What is good Walkability? because living in surburbia I feel I had good walkability.
Start here: Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

The result is an indicator of how many amenities are close enough to your house to be considered easy walking distance. Obviously, a sidewalk is enough to make a place walkable, but does that place have destinations? Or is walking only for exercise and pleasure, but not for transportation?

Old 12-05-2009, 01:38 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,108,976 times
Quote:
I think Density is so overated. Density is so dirty and crowded.

And What is good Walkability? because living in surburbia I feel I had good walkability.
...and that's probably why Atlanta lacks density, most residents share your mindset. Since when is density even "dirty?" If you mean environmentally, it's the exact opposite.

Walkability means you can walk to retailers (grocery stores, clothing stores etc.). entertainment (bars, theaters etc.), transportation (bus stops, train stations), and recreation (parks, bike paths) from your front door, and that you're not at the mercy of auto traffic getting there (i.e. not having to cross 6 lane roads, with 5 sec. crossing signals or no signals or crosswalks at all). Plus there are sidewalks on every street (on each side) that are wide and not deteriorated.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:56 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,367,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
...and that's probably why Atlanta lacks density, most residents share your mindset. Since when is density even "dirty?" If you mean environmentally, it's the exact opposite.

Walkability means you can walk to retailers (grocery stores, clothing stores etc.). entertainment (bars, theaters etc.), transportation (bus stops, train stations), and recreation (parks, bike paths) from your front door, and that you're not at the mercy of auto traffic getting there (i.e. not having to cross 6 lane roads, with 5 sec. crossing signals or no signals or crosswalks at all). Plus there are sidewalks on every street (on each side) that are wide and not deteriorated.
No, i'm sure he or she means "poor people" by "dirty."

And I'm sure much of the walking he or she does is from the front door to the car.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Start here: Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

The result is an indicator of how many amenities are close enough to your house to be considered easy walking distance. Obviously, a sidewalk is enough to make a place walkable, but does that place have destinations? Or is walking only for exercise and pleasure, but not for transportation?
Wow that site is really cool. My House got a 57 out of 100. I guess thats good cause I do a lot of walking and only drive to school when I feel like it. but It does leave out a few things like the school thats about 1/2 a mile from my apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Okay I didnt plan the undense suburbs of Atlanta I just live here. and I dont know about other people mindsets thats just my personal opinion.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:17 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,378,189 times
Quote:
Wow that site is really cool. My House got a 57 out of 100. I guess thats good cause I do a lot of walking and only drive to school when I feel like it. but It does leave out a few things like the school thats about 1/2 a mile from my apartment.
Yeah, mine misses a lot of things, too, or inaccurately interprets them. 57 is a pretty good score for a suburban area -- "somewhat walkable." But try to think about how that might compare to a neighborhood like mine that scores "walker's paradise." The difference is probably connected with how many of each amenity is within walking distance. I have not 1 but 7 bakeries, not 1 but 4 parks, etc. So I can walk to anything I need and have choices within that context.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
No, i'm sure he or she means "poor people" by "dirty."

And I'm sure much of the walking he or she does is from the front door to the car.
NO when I say dirty I mean trash filled, dirty, doesn't feel clean to me. I guess when I see alot of people and cars parked in the street I equate it to dirty, sorry just my opinion

and FYI I am poor and have lived in very dense area so...........

Old 12-05-2009, 02:22 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,367,067 times
Quote:
NO when I say dirty I mean trash filled, dirty, doesn't feel clean to me. I guess when I see alot of people and cars parked in the street I equate it to dirty, sorry just my opinion

and FYI I am poor and have lived in very dense area so...........
That's a flawed assumption though. Your opinion can stand, just like mine, that dense cities do not equal instant crime, dirt and general nastiness.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 6,636,143 times
I guess it's what you are used and in my case I grew up in a very densely populated city across from Manhattan in New Jersey with about 50,000 or more people in a square mile. We never owned a car and walked everywhere. The grocery store , drugstore was half a block away. My school was a 6 block walk. If we need to go further we used the bus and trains. My dad worked in Manhattan and used the train to get to work.
In the 12 years or so that we lived there we never had a car until we moved to Florida so I guess it's all relative.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:01 PM

830 posts, read 1,686,759 times
And yet Mgyeldell is apparently from Clayton County, which i am very familar with and it is dirtier than a lot of the denser cities I have been to. That and they are about to loose the only public transportation they have next spring due to bad leadership. I found no sense of walk-ability there whatsoever unless you consider going across a 6 lane road like Tara Blvd. with no real place for pedestrians and subdivisions with very large lots where everyone drives to get anywhere walkable. That and the the lack of density has not stopped the section 8 housing from continuing to go in there and the crime rate to shoot up (20 murders per 100,000 last year).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning