U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-10-2010, 04:10 PM

8,310 posts, read 6,730,003 times
Most suburbs are incorporated cities, though some are called "villages" and I don't think there is any difference. There are some unincorporated neighborhoods that can be called suburbs. I think most of them have a center, in some cases a "downtown'" though that may be no more than a convenience store and pharmacy. Many try to zone out low income residents, but that is not always successful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 04:47 PM

192 posts, read 343,820 times
Q: would you consider a suburb a town?

A: it depends.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:08 PM

3,781 posts, read 6,110,638 times
Well, I think what people consider a city and a town depends on the person.

I set the standard in California for incorporated communities under 200,000 population to be towns.

I think in some cases suburbs can be cities.

Now, I think I would only live in cities or towns that tend to be the wealthiest have the most variety of jobs.

Wealthier cities usually tend to have better shopping, nicer homes, and are just nicer.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:21 PM

8,310 posts, read 6,730,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

I set the standard in California for incorporated communities under 200,000 population to be towns.

Now, I think I would only live in cities or towns that tend to be the wealthiest have the most variety of jobs.

Wealthier cities usually tend to have better shopping, nicer homes, and are just nicer.
That's a pretty high standard, though undoubtedly several LA suburbs meet it. There might be three Chicago suburbs that populous; some are under 5,000.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:46 PM

7,429 posts, read 8,131,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

Um...no, you don't set the standard. Cities in California can be as small as a few hundred people.

Fact is...suburbs are also cities, just in a different form.

And the problem with wealthy cities is that if you aren't wealthy, it can be kind of tough to live there, and they're frickin' expensive.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Um...no, you don't set the standard. Cities in California can be as small as a few hundred people.

Fact is...suburbs are also cities, just in a different form.

And the problem with wealthy cities is that if you aren't wealthy, it can be kind of tough to live there, and they're frickin' expensive.
Setting the standard is up to each and every person.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
That's a pretty high standard, though undoubtedly several LA suburbs meet it. There might be three Chicago suburbs that populous; some are under 5,000.
Well, if I set my standard to 150,000 population then Santa Rosa and Salinas would fall into the city category and I consider them large towns.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:58 PM

5,343 posts, read 6,005,288 times
Suburbs are generally dependent on a Larger entity for their general survival.

Orange County may have been a suburb of LA back in the day, but now most Orange County Cities have populations of over 200K (even beach towns like Huntington Beach) and can survive in their own orbit without being satellites to LA

Old 04-19-2011, 01:52 PM

7,429 posts, read 8,131,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Suburbs are generally dependent on a Larger entity for their general survival.

Orange County may have been a suburb of LA back in the day, but now most Orange County Cities have populations of over 200K (even beach towns like Huntington Beach) and can survive in their own orbit without being satellites to LA
Can they? It seems like Orange County and other suburban counties (even ones with high-population areas) still depend economically on the urban core area, if not for jobs and shopping than for other purposes (in the case of LA/Orange, a place to dump Orange County's homeless.)

Old 04-19-2011, 02:02 PM

41,732 posts, read 45,131,325 times
In amny areas they are becomeing the market palces of the cities they support now. In amny areas sities are more reliant on federal grqants for any development than actaully existing on their own.They are like a sink hole mostly just consumin gmoney with no contribtion really.I if they think they can develop they are likely to get their chnace in comig years as grants runout .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning