Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:35 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,443,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I'm sure it's the affordability factor more than anything.

There was some initial resistance to whites moving back into certain neighborhoods about 10 years or so ago, but some of it was more of a "gay thing" than a "white thing."

Lately, all I ever hear about is how welcomed most people feel by the elderly black folks that remain. I'm told that by and large that most long term residents seem to think that it's an overall positive thing for the city.

I agree with them, I just hate to see people being forced to move.
That's my biggest issue with gentrification. I love the effects that it has on the community and the surrounding areas in terms of revitalization, but I hate the way that those who have lived there and waited for years to see these changed be pushed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,294,910 times
Where I live (SF, CA burbs) there is a strange twist. White middle class people, blacks, assimilated Latinos and Asians of modest means, and others, who were born here or moved here just after WW2 (or their parents did) but who have at most a bachelors degree, are less and less able to compete with Chinese, Indian, etc immigrants from the "creme de la creme" of their respective countries. So, what is emerging, is, a place less and less white (and less and less black and native Latino), with a richer and richer upper echelon, and an increasingly immigrant Latino underclass who provide services to the new elite.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:00 PM

88,077 posts, read 83,928,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
White flight will always exist, as long as diversity is forced onto White areas.

You know when you are listening to a marching band and all of a sudden you notice that someone's cymbals aren't clashing in time with the rest of the band?

I had to read that one twice.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:38 PM

35 posts, read 93,081 times
FLYINGWRITER,FORCED DIVERSITY DOES EXIST

flyingwriter,you'd be shocked at the cites and communities that are being forced via the courts to build low rent housing MERELY because these areas are predominantly white. hud and other organisations take 'white areas' to court trying to prove that by them not building low rent(affordable) housing that they're eliminating the chance of less fortunate people to live there thusly hindering diversity.groups are charging and accusing these cities of being discriminatory/... bottom line because the rents not affordable to those less fortunate and thereby discouraging diversity...make sense??? no...do some online research about sunnyvale texas which is in the dallas area.thankfully they won their case in court.they were offered a deal to build low rent housing in their city.they refused.the bottom line is they were taken to court and charged with being too white and not diverse. thankfully they won their case in court and didn't build low rent apartment housing/.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:55 PM

92,144 posts, read 122,355,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTEEL View Post
FLYINGWRITER,FORCED DIVERSITY DOES EXIST

flyingwriter,you'd be shocked at the cites and communities that are being forced via the courts to build low rent housing MERELY because these areas are predominantly white. hud and other organisations take 'white areas' to court trying to prove that by them not building low rent(affordable) housing that they're eliminating the chance of less fortunate people to live there thusly hindering diversity.groups are charging and accusing these cities of being discriminatory/... bottom line because the rents not affordable to those less fortunate and thereby discouraging diversity...make sense??? no...do some online research about sunnyvale texas which is in the dallas area.thankfully they won their case in court.they were offered a deal to build low rent housing in their city.they refused.the bottom line is they were taken to court and charged with being too white and not diverse. thankfully they won their case in court and didn't build low rent apartment housing/.
A lot of this has to do with having affordable housing in areas. There was a case in Westchester County NY about this not too long ago. So, a lot of this is more economic than racial, per se.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:30 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,887,275 times
It definitely still does in most areas of the country, just not the extent that it did in the 70s and 80s. There will always be a percentage of the white population that will not live with other races, especially black. Other races do that too though sometimes. As for white people who live in the hood (or just a more diverse area), they either don't mind living near other races or they can't leave for whatever reason.

I know of a white family who moved out of the hood and would rather not live near other races. The funny thing about their new neighborhood is it's 93% white and upper middle class, yet the young people in the area dress and act like they want to be thugs from the hood. They're out there committing petty crimes too. I just find it funny that the same thing they claim they don't like about the Black and Hispanic kids (stereotypical), the rich white kids in their neighborhood are doing and try to emulate them.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:38 PM

32 posts, read 46,396 times
I can already tell where this is headed. It should go without saying that plenty of black people don't and don't need to live in the hood. Lets make this a income issue and not a "black chasing whites and vise verse " issue. This isn't 1940.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,970,483 times
Race is a topic laden with controversy that has many facets which are off topic outside of City-Data's Politics and Other Controversies forum. This thread won't remain on topic or open in this forum if it strays much from the original topic. Keep your answers short and on topic.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:06 PM

380 posts, read 689,461 times
Sorry to "bust your bubble", but you've been living in a bubble! White flight not only exists but is prevalent in many areas. Michigan, for instance, is a very racially polarized state; Detroit being one of the most segregated cities in the country. There are suburban areas of Detroit that are highly segregated, and many of the residents would like to keep it that way. There are some realtors that will be candid about the issue, such as discussing "redlining"; property values that are significantly lowered when blacks move into a neighborhood; and/or racist comments made by neighbors/residents in a particular neighborhood.

Unfortunately, racism is alive and well in this country, although there are a lot of people that would rather or prefer to live in denial and act as if it doesn't exist. In my opinion, racism is even more overt and pronounced since the election of President Obama. It's as if people can't hide or mask their racist beliefs any longer; as if the election of an African American president was waaay too much for them to accept or comprehend; as if they don't have the mental, intellectual, or emotional capacity to handle it.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:59 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,151,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Is it because of an increase in property value, though or do they really just not want to be around white people?

I'm black so I think I can give you my perspective of this so called black flight when it comes to white people moving in the neighborhood. Its rare that black people flee because of white people are moving in. When black people move out, it usually because of gentrification and property values increasing so much that we are price out of the neighborhood. Most of the time, blacks do not flee a neighborhood because of demographics changing. I think a rare exception of this is what happening in South LA between blacks and Mexicans. Compton used to be predominately black in the early 90s. Now it is majority Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning