Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:06 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times

Advertisements

turned my census in yesterday morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 08:45 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Actually, Florida is losing population, not gaining. Whether that will change any congressional seats remains to be seen. It certainly won't ADD another.
One report from U of F had them losing 50,000 in population based on electric company turn ons and turn offs. That same report over estimated by 150,000 the year before.

It is not a reliable report in the least.

Besides the fact that the population has increased almost 18% since the last census. They will certainly add another seat.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:15 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
One report from U of F had them losing 50,000 in population based on electric company turn ons and turn offs. That same report over estimated by 150,000 the year before.

It is not a reliable report in the least.

Besides the fact that the population has increased almost 18% since the last census. They will certainly add another seat.

The seat that is added in FL will be based on growth in pre 2008, actually if the trends didn't change the last couple of years there would of been 2 added.

I am still thinking what 2010-2020 growth patters will be? I am guessing similar trends of people leaving the Great Lakes and Northeast areas to the Sun Belt area but some of the latter areas have their growth halted at least for the short term especially Florida. Also thinking that AZ and NV might act like California and continue the domestic outflow that started 2 years ago. The growth of areas in GA and NC are spilling more into adjacent states, especially TN and SC.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:43 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,352 times
in our area, there is a good deal of discussion on current representation in the u.s. house of representatives. one representative is giving up his district, now that he has secured as much money and influence as he desires. for 20 years, he, like most other politicians in the area, has done little to help secure growth for the rural economy of west tn. currently, cohen represents a district in memphis that is basically all black, but it is represented by a white representative, who, basically, votes for anything that is a social giveaway. his opponent, the recently jumped ship, early retired, former memphis mayor and life-long racist, at age 71, decided he had not screwed up memphis enough during his 17 year reign over the city. consequently, because the congressional district he seeks is predominately black, a white person should not be allowed to represent the people of such a district. i advocate that whites and hispanics use this method and reasoning, when it comes to representation of other congressional districts, etc. certainly, this could easily become a reality in america, due to the outgrowth of the hispanic population as the new minority throughout america. ten years ago, hispanics outnumbered blacks in this country by an estimated 15 million. every census tracking source declares that gap to be ever-widening. the new largest american minority is the hispanics.

it will be the hispanics to whom the dems will soon be playing their love songs. that stretched-skin, lizard-faced, weasel-necked geek, pelosi, has already been placed on her soapbox (too stupid to find it on her own) to spout her need to tackle immigration reform for all legals and illegals. if we are lucky, her mouth buddy in the senate may be in the breadlines w/ many of the rest of us---or at least he'll have to return to the desert.

as far as reliable counts, forget it. in metro memphis, one is unable to find accurate numbers that are based on the current year or month. one number may show 2000 numbers for the city, one number might show 2007 figures that failed to include the south metro, one number consistently wanted to show losses in shelby county; however, suddenly they jumped from 887,000+ to 920,000+, in about 7 years time. it became such an issue, that surrounding suburbs that received consistently low-ball population figures paid to have independent population recounts. the numbers were ridiculously low-balled. some cities were 8-10 thousand off, others were up to 25 thousand off. the metro area has remained at a 2006 estimate, even though it has been obvious that the metro continues to grow---and solidly. about two weeks ago, march '10, the metro numbers were revised to 1.3+ million. still, those who follow the trail of numbers, see that they fail to add up. current leadership in memphis needs to focus on this particular issue, for it continues to cost memphis money and status, which rightly belongs to the city and the metro.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
it will be the hispanics to whom the dems will soon be playing their love songs. that stretched-skin, lizard-faced, weasel-necked geek, pelosi, has already been placed on her soapbox (too stupid to find it on her own) to spout her need to tackle immigration reform for all legals and illegals. if we are lucky, her mouth buddy in the senate may be in the breadlines w/ many of the rest of us---or at least he'll have to return to the desert.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:15 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
in our area, there is a good deal of discussion on current representation in the u.s. house of representatives. one representative is giving up his district, now that he has secured as much money and influence as he desires. for 20 years, he, like most other politicians in the area, has done little to help secure growth for the rural economy of west tn. currently, cohen represents a district in memphis that is basically all black, but it is represented by a white representative, who, basically, votes for anything that is a social giveaway. his opponent, the recently jumped ship, early retired, former memphis mayor and life-long racist, at age 71, decided he had not screwed up memphis enough during his 17 year reign over the city. consequently, because the congressional district he seeks is predominately black, a white person should not be allowed to represent the people of such a district. i advocate that whites and hispanics use this method and reasoning, when it comes to representation of other congressional districts, etc. certainly, this could easily become a reality in america, due to the outgrowth of the hispanic population as the new minority throughout america. ten years ago, hispanics outnumbered blacks in this country by an estimated 15 million. every census tracking source declares that gap to be ever-widening. the new largest american minority is the hispanics.

as far as reliable counts, forget it. in metro memphis, one is unable to find accurate numbers that are based on the current year or month. one number may show 2000 numbers for the city, one number might show 2007 figures that failed to include the south metro, one number consistently wanted to show losses in shelby county; however, suddenly they jumped from 887,000+ to 920,000+, in about 7 years time. it became such an issue, that surrounding suburbs that received consistently low-ball population figures paid to have independent population recounts. the numbers were ridiculously low-balled. some cities were 8-10 thousand off, others were up to 25 thousand off. the metro area has remained at a 2006 estimate, even though it has been obvious that the metro continues to grow---and solidly. about two weeks ago, march '10, the metro numbers were revised to 1.3+ million. still, those who follow the trail of numbers, see that they fail to add up. current leadership in memphis needs to focus on this particular issue, for it continues to cost memphis money and status, which rightly belongs to the city and the metro.
What's your problem? There is a politics forum.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:53 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
I think that Houston's black population will exceed the 1,000,000 mark! Houston will no doubtly become the new black mecca! A lot of opportunities from what I hear; the population growth don't lie!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
What's your problem? There is a politics forum.
as to answer your question, i don't have a problem, perhaps the computer does. i have no idea why this is divided and duplicated. you figure it out if it bothers you so much, and get back w/ the answer. second, if you don't understand the first discussion of representation, errors in population counts, and the like (that is the way the heading is in the forum in america) then i wouldn't expect you to understand the numbers=representation issue in congress---congress is the legislative body in america, terribleone. if a mistake were made, i doubt it is world-changing, and it doesn't warrant taking antidepressants, tranquilizers, etc. world policy, life saving surgical procedures, and the like aren't occurring on citydata.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:07 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I think that Houston's black population will exceed the 1,000,000 mark! Houston will no doubtly become the new black mecca! A lot of opportunities from what I hear; the population growth don't lie!
I don't know about the black mecca part. But I did read online somewhere that it has already exceeded the 1 million mark. It will be official when the new census comes out next year. DFW is now over 920,000 and they are expected to hit 1 million sometime this decade as well. I think Texas will be the only state that has at least one million AA's in two metro areas.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:00 AM

963 posts, read 2,410,643 times
Fascinating thread.

Regarding North Carolina (I'm a native of the state):

I recall the estimated 1990 and 2000 population for the state was under-estimated when the actual numbers came in. I am expacted to see a bit of that this time out as well.

With one caveat: the real-estate crash has slowed the influx into the state considerably with year-to-year rates of increase declining post-2008 in the Greater Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham-CH-Cary areas. Thus I still suspect the 2010 estimates to be a bit low, but it won't be as much of a departure as it was during the last two censuses.

To another point discussed here - several of the NC/SC MSAs were divided. Two of those - Greensboro-Winston Salem-High Point and Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson I expect will remain divided. I tend to think that there is some likelihood of seeing the Raleigh-Cary and Durham-Chapel Hill (erstwhile Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) being rejoined: the RTP/Airport location tying commute patterns together foremost among the reasons. We shall see.

As to anything else NC-related, or small-city-trivia-related: keep your eye on Greenville, NC. Still less than 100,000 in the city, but 60K of that has been within the last 25 years (most of it within the last 15), and it's been parked right behind Raleigh and Charlotte as the 3rd-fastest growing city in the state for a decade or so. They will hit 100K ~2 years after the census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning