Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 PM

20,510 posts, read 33,424,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
You are really adamant about Boston being a sprawling mess, aren't you. I have never denied Boston as a sprawling metropolis, it is. I know it is. I don't need some know-nothing from Arizona telling me a city and region of 8 million people sprawls to no end, when that is not as true as you wish it would be. The region is served by one of the best and largest metros in the nation and there is strict codes in place to curb frivolous construction.
Was that know nothing necessary? We all are adults in here, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 07:48 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,665,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I think Texas cities are improving and expanding their transit systems more than Atlanta. On the flip side of that coin Atlanta has more New urbanism live work play projects then any of those cities. I won’t say any of those cities are handling growth better then the other but I think people fail to understand or trying to ignore! their’s a movement in sunbelt cities for creating denser neighborhoods and improve transit options. The idea that these cities growth is just sprawl and their not growing denser is just ridiculous.
In Atlanta, the core itself seems more dense, but the suburbs sprawl out alot more. In Dallas and Houston, the core seems to be a little less dense, but the burbs seem to be a little more dense.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:55 PM

287 posts, read 496,401 times
Quote:
The cold is more tolerant than heat,
Is that scientific fact? I would disagree personally.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:57 PM

287 posts, read 496,401 times
Quote:
Well you should care that 4.3 million people are responsible for ruining an ecosystem that CANNOT sustain such unbridled growth.

My guess is that the federal government in the near future, ie the other states, will be paying for your utilties--water, food, all sorts of stuff that will no longer be maintained by a desert climate.
I don't live there. Is this just speculation or do you think everyone should live in the northeast?

Old 03-23-2010, 08:04 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,061,150 times
Id rather live in a boomtown personally especially since every decaying city seems like its in the midwest like Cleveland or Detroit. I like the looks of Seattle. I dont like lots of sprawl so Dallas and Atlanta are out no matter how booming they are and Phoenix is too damn hot. Denver has too much sun. Seattle/Portland/Pittsburgh/Philly might be good choices for americans today. Bostons cost of living keeps going up and its only geared toward college for the most part so..

Old 03-23-2010, 08:08 PM

8,580 posts, read 10,101,500 times
Quote:
You are really adamant about Boston being a sprawling mess, aren't you. I have never denied Boston as a sprawling metropolis, it is. I know it is. I don't need some know-nothing from Arizona telling me a city and region of 8 million people sprawls to no end, when that is not as true as you wish it would be. The region is served by one of the best and largest metros in the nation and there is strict codes in place to curb frivolous construction.

In cities like LV and Phoenix built homes and developled land back in the 90s and 00s in the hopes they's be bought up for cold northeasterns except, the housing buble burst...that's totally Phoenix's fault.

Phoenix only just became the 5th largest city...so effing what? what does that have to do with anything, and Boston is the 20th largest city and growing too, so what too. Winters in Arizona...what's that like, 85 and partly cloudly? The cold is more tolerant than heat, all you do is put more clothes on, the millions upon millions of immigrants who came to the Northeast didn't need to rely on heaters to get them by the winter. When the body is hot, it is very difficult to cool done. So the 100 million northeasterners must be nuts, right? New Yorkers, Philadelphians, Washintonians, Chicagoans, Bostonians? I'll take me 4 distinct seasons any day over 120 blasting heat!!!

Steady moderate growth beats unwarranted, unbridled growth. This is why the cities of the Northeast will prosper. One day, the state of Arizona will have to pony up the cash to bring a city of a few million people into the fold of mature cities of this nation and the rest of the world.
Wow...Do you feel more important calling someone you do not know a know-nothing from Arizona? Well, a college degree doesn't make anybody a know-it-all even if it is in architecture and urbanism. I've tackled more than my share of those in these threads, so please prove me wrong.

It doesn't make me feel better knowing that any city sprawls to no end, but now you're ignoring the issue. In addition, I'm sure many people believe their metros among the "best" in the nation. That's subjective.

There is plenty of blame to be passed around for the housing crisis from homes being bought up by investors, new residents (from all over) buying up homes they possibly couldn't afford, to flexible mortgage-lending standards championed by the Boston Federal Reserve Bank in the mid-90's (among other groups) which produced lending guidelines for banks operating in low-income markets which advised them to take into consideration the "economic culture of urban, lower income and nontraditional customers."

I don't remember posting anything about Phoenix being the 5th largest city, nor does that pertain to any part of our conversation, so I'm not quite sure why you've brought that up, unless it is to boast your CSA's population (very large indeed borrowing from neighboring states).

It's really a moot point now that air conditioning exists, but I'd suggest you look at average Arizona temperatures throughout the year. Phoenix does not average 85 in the winter and 120 in the summer. On a side not, we've already received more rain this year than we did all of last year.

The cities in the Northeast DID experience unbridled growth throughout history. They too suffered through hardships, but bounced back. Phoenix will too.

If you're wanting drama, please take it elsewhere. LOST is on.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:31 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,778,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Was that know nothing necessary? We all are adults in here, right?
No it wasn't, I apolegize.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
Is that scientific fact? I would disagree personally.
It's easier to warm up when being cold with out technology, then cooling down without it.

It is also very well known to demographers that there have been population booms in warm climates due directly to the air conditioner making comfort readably available.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Wow...Do you feel more important calling someone you do not know a know-nothing from Arizona? Well, a college degree doesn't make anybody a know-it-all even if it is in architecture and urbanism. I've tackled more than my share of those in these threads, so please prove me wrong.

It doesn't make me feel better knowing that any city sprawls to no end, but now you're ignoring the issue. In addition, I'm sure many people believe their metros among the "best" in the nation. That's subjective.

There is plenty of blame to be passed around for the housing crisis from homes being bought up by investors, new residents (from all over) buying up homes they possibly couldn't afford, to flexible mortgage-lending standards championed by the Boston Federal Reserve Bank in the mid-90's (among other groups) which produced lending guidelines for banks operating in low-income markets which advised them to take into consideration the "economic culture of urban, lower income and nontraditional customers."

I don't remember posting anything about Phoenix being the 5th largest city, nor does that pertain to any part of our conversation, so I'm not quite sure why you've brought that up, unless it is to boast your CSA's population (very large indeed borrowing from neighboring states).

It's really a moot point now that air conditioning exists, but I'd suggest you look at average Arizona temperatures throughout the year. Phoenix does not average 85 in the winter and 120 in the summer. On a side not, we've already received more rain this year than we did all of last year.

The cities in the Northeast DID experience unbridled growth throughout history. They too suffered through hardships, but bounced back. Phoenix will too.

If you're wanting drama, please take it elsewhere. LOST is on.
I claim nothing about Boston's superiority. I never made such a statement.

Besides being 5th youngest, Phoenix is also the 5th largest.

How much rain does a desert receive in a year...a few inches, so you received a few more, great. we received 3 inches since yesterday. After a spectacular weekend.

Are you really, really going to blame Phoenix's housing buble bursting on the Boston Federal Reseve? Seriously? Either way, the BFR has no authority over the west coast, only New Enlgand and Puerto Rico. So it wouldn't have been its fault.

Northeastern cities grew but at the time also adapted to the rapid growth. It was during the same time that public transportation was built, that social and cultural institution were founded as a way of maintain decorum, peace, civility and public pride, Government became the leader of social justice and the public welfare, teh creation of social nets to maintain a successful society.

Enjoy your show.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:54 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,459,765 times
Quote:
It's easier to warm up when being cold with out technology, then cooling down without it.
elaborate...

If I didn't have any technology, it would be easier for me to remove layers of clothing versus finding layers to bundle up under. Let's not even discuss the fact that tolerance to temp. is relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning