U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 02:33 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,142,623 times

Advertisements

I like to visit areas that are as you might say "less than desirable", I find urban decay interesting. Not the suffering, crime, and homelessness that typically go along with it, but the way the landscape and buildings evolve from nice, to terrible, and eventually back to nice. For instance the transition that Harlem went through from the 70s and 80s to today.

That being said, I don't have all kinds of money to take as many trips as I like. So I like to use Google Streets to check out various parts of urban areas. Not to mention Streets is probably a little bit safer, because many of these areas are laced with crime.

I’ve seen threads similar to this, but people like to blanket entire cities, but most cities have areas that aren’t that bad. Although East St. Louis is kind of decayed no matter where you go, but even the government offices are in ok shape. Others will say the Chicago south side, although many areas seem to be getting better.

So what are heavily decayed streets in various towns and cities that would be interesting to check on Google Streets? In the USA.

For instance streets like:

East St. Louis – Collinsville Ave. between St. Louis Ave. and Old Missouri Ave.

West Chicago – W. Chicago Ave. between N. Homan Ave. and N. Austin Blvd.

West Philly – Around N 52nd St & W Girard Ave. or N 42nd St. Just North of Market St.

Also I've seen some really bad areas of Detroit, but I'm not sure which streets they were. Some areas have abandoned burned out cars and boats, shells that used to be houses, trash everywhere. Basically getting close to some of the stuff you used to see in Harlem before it went through gentrification.

Last edited by pheaton; 03-22-2010 at 02:43 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 04:12 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,957,409 times
Camden is one.
Though google didn't take any chances by going in and around Camden to provide us with a street view. (same goes for Trenton)

Check out Troy, NY/Schenectady, NY... Bridgeport, CT too

Last edited by BPerone201; 03-22-2010 at 04:22 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 04:24 PM

378 posts, read 1,168,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Camden is one.
Though google didn't take any chances by going in and around Camden to provide us with a street view.

Check out Troy, NY/Schenectady, NY
You can do Camden on streetview. 612 Chestnut St, Camden, NJ, United States - Google Maps

Also I started a thread like this awhile back. It's not exactly what you're looking for but there were some posts that might be right on.

The Good, The Bad and the Streetview

edit: might have to click the address icon on the google map then select streetview.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:56 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,972,465 times
check out new orleans

Old 03-22-2010, 06:37 PM

That Camden link is definately what I was kind of getting at. Some of you mentioned entire cities, but again, I'm kind of looking for specific streets or areas of the city.

New Orleans for example is a big place and if you are browsing from Google it's hard to tell the areas that are hardest hit. There are several threads where people mention entire cities or entire quadrants of cities, but of course even the worst cities have an area where the people have dug in their heals and have resisted being taken over by the decay. Although, places like Camden, New Orleans, and East St. Louis are mostly all run down, I'm looking for the areas of these and other cities that are particularly experiencing the worst urban decay. .

Many boarded up businesses or abandoned businesses. Broken windows, bars on the windows and doors, abandoned and/or burned out cars.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:46 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,433,767 times
Default boredatwork

camden looks like some Sugar Honey Iced Tea

Old 03-22-2010, 07:53 PM

5,858 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Check out Cairo, IL for some serious small-town decay.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 PM

In another forum someone posted this good example:

1750 chapman ave. Cleveland, OH

I would post a link, but I'm new to this forum and the links must be different on this forum than the other forums I use (or my browser is broken and not allowing me to make links) So I'll have to figure that out.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 PM

236 posts, read 1,369,762 times
Other than ESL the worst I have seen as far as total destruction would be Detroit. An example would be the area around the state fair grounds of detroit. A great example would be west robinwood street between woodward avenue and john r street. I live in youngstown ohio and it looks like the garden of eden compared to this area. Start here at 706 west robinwood ave detroit mi and head east a couple miles and you will thank God for what you have. It gets worse the further down the road you get. Another totally bombed out area is chene street. It is so bombed out that it looks like a back road in Mississippi. Many of streets in Delray such as south street look aweful. Another can't miss area is Bightmoor and Highland Park and most of the east side. Really makes you wonder about the future of this country.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:15 PM

378 posts, read 1,168,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
I like to visit areas that are as you might say "less than desirable", I find urban decay interesting. Not the suffering, crime, and homelessness that typically go along with it, but the way the landscape and buildings evolve from nice, to terrible, and eventually back to nice. For instance the transition that Harlem went through from the 70s and 80s to today.

That being said, I don't have all kinds of money to take as many trips as I like. So I like to use Google Streets to check out various parts of urban areas. Not to mention Streets is probably a little bit safer, because many of these areas are laced with crime.

I’ve seen threads similar to this, but people like to blanket entire cities, but most cities have areas that aren’t that bad. Although East St. Louis is kind of decayed no matter where you go, but even the government offices are in ok shape. Others will say the Chicago south side, although many areas seem to be getting better.

So what are heavily decayed streets in various towns and cities that would be interesting to check on Google Streets? In the USA.

For instance streets like:

East St. Louis – Collinsville Ave. between St. Louis Ave. and Old Missouri Ave.

West Chicago – W. Chicago Ave. between N. Homan Ave. and N. Austin Blvd.

West Philly – Around N 52nd St & W Girard Ave. or N 42nd St. Just North of Market St.

Also I've seen some really bad areas of Detroit, but I'm not sure which streets they were. Some areas have abandoned burned out cars and boats, shells that used to be houses, trash everywhere. Basically getting close to some of the stuff you used to see in Harlem before it went through gentrification.
Not to say Chicago doesn't have its fair share of violent, hell-hole neighborhoods, but it doesn't offer too much in the way of urban decay. At least not compared to cities like Philly, Camden, NYC, Baltimore, Detroit, etc...

6272 S State St, Chicago, IL, United States - Google Maps

I think the worst you'll find are the areas that are partly abandoned now. A lot of neighborhoods in Chicago can actually look decent but actually be pretty ******* bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or