U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:36 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,388,700 times

Advertisements

Show Us Your Busy & Historic , Rail , Bus , Subway , Light Rail Stations & Hubs. Videos & Pictures......I'll start with a few station's only videos though.

Newark Penn Station
Serves : Amtrak : Acela Express , Cardinal , Carolinian , Crescent , Keystone Service , Palmetto , Pennsylvanian , Northeast Regional , Silver Star , Silver Meteor

NJT : Raritan Valley Line , North Jersey Coastal Line , & Northeast Corridor

PATH : Newark - WTC line

Newark Light Rail : Newark Penn -Grove Street & Newark Penn - Newark Broad Street Station

120,000+ people use the station daily

YouTube - NJ Transit Raritan Train No. 5526 & NJ Transit Tran No. 7859 NEC arriving at Newark Penn Station

YouTube - NIGHT TRAINS AT NEWARK, NJ'S PENN STATION

Princeton JCT
Serves : NJT Northeast Corridor line & Princeton Dinky - Amtrak's don't stop here , so the hit there maxes 125-130mph A historic Record was set here for High Speed Rail , although it never fully happened. The record was 164mph.

YouTube - NEC: Princeton Junction (HD)

One of the busiest areas for Trains and high speeds in NJ.
Linden Station
Serves NJT : Northeast Corridor / Amtrak & North Jersey Coastal line do not stop here , and they hit there full speeds of 100-130mph.

YouTube - Rush Hour on the Northeast Corridor

YouTube - Trains in the Snow NJ Transit Amtrak NEC Feb 10 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 04:15 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,750,891 times
PATCO Train, serving South Jersey and Philadelphia

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:28 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,109,537 times
Downtown Jamaica I believe is NYC's busiest transit place thing. There's Jamaica Station, Parsons & Archer Station, & The 165th Street Bus Terminal as well as bus clogged streets.

There's the Long Island Railroad, the nation's busiest commuter rail system, all but 1 or 2 lines pass through Jamaica Station. There's 4 subway lines, the E, F, J, & Z (I believe the E is NYC's busiest subway line). There's over 50 bus routes as well, and the AirTrain JFK. Jamaica is also plagued with Dollar Vans (a lot are illegal) plus cabs (not NYC's yellow taxis).

Within Jamaica there's service throughout Queens, Long Island, into Brooklyn, Manhattan, & The Bronx.

LIRR & Airtrain @ Jamaica Station:

YouTube - A few minutes at the LIRR Jamaica station

This is like 5 miles north of me, I pass through this area everyday and its very congested (and dirty).

Old 04-19-2010, 05:04 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,182,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
PATCO Train, serving South Jersey and Philadelphia

I took the broad street line to game 5; on the return (packe like a sardine but very happy) got off at Walnut; only to come up onto Broad and find more than half million people packed and celebrating. Thank you this brings back fond memories, though the Patco line seems to be less packed. great night to be a Phillies fan - reps to you!

Old 04-19-2010, 05:28 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,362,767 times
Guess I'm going to be the first non-East Coast poster to showcase what my city has to offer

By far, the busiest station in all of Southern California rail is Union Station. To give you an idea why, here are two maps that I'll enter into evidence.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...c._2009%29.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/Metrolink.png (broken link)
Union Station is the terminus of both the Red and Purple Subway lines, old terminus of the Gold Line (before it expanded to East Los Angeles a few months ago) and Silver Line (Los Angeles, as of lately, has been really fond of Bus Rapid Transit, which I think is a good way to see if a line is worthy enough to be upgraded to Light Rail). In addition to local rapid transit, it forms the center of the Metrolink Commuter Rail system, which in 2009 only served 34,000 (source: http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship_APTA.pdf) but is increasing with every passing year. In addition, Union Station also provides access to Amtrak trains.

In the future, Union Station will also be the Los Angeles stop to the California High Speed rail line.

Union Station (Los Angeles) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Average Traffic: 1,475,290 (for Amtrak). Metrolink and LA MTA numbers aren't available

YouTube - Los Angeles MTA Metro Rail Metro Link Union Station Rapid Bus

Even though rail ridership in LA isn't that high yet, it can still be pretty busy on most given weekdays.

I'm sure an LA poster can provide pictures of the business of metro rail/metro liners. Every time I come to downtown LA for business, the Orange and Red Lines are always packed full of people. As LA's transit options expand, I'm sure it will only get more and more crowded.

Here's what I have to look at every time I get on the Orange Line (currently a BRT, but hopefully it will be upgrading to Light Rail since ridership expectations have been exceeded. This connects the East San Fernando Valley at North Hollywood and West San Fernando Valley):

YouTube - Orange Line From NoHo Arts District to Laurel Canyon

Here's the Red Line Subway (LA's busiest subway line, since it connects the San Fernando Valley with Hollywood and Downtown LA):

YouTube - Red Line "Subway"..Los Angeles Metro

Old 04-20-2010, 02:33 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,388,700 times
LIRR @ Bethpage

YouTube - A fantastic 3 way meet in Bethpage with dueling horns.

LIRR @ Mineola

YouTube - Same **** different day in mineola.

Too busy corridors with Fast trains and great horns

Old 04-20-2010, 12:48 PM

289 posts, read 913,331 times
South Station in Boston is the 3rd bussiest station on the East Coast after Grand Central And Penn in NYC

it survices:
Commuter Rail (7)
Subway (2)
Amtrak
And all major busses to anywhere in the US
as well as several smaller bus companies that do Boston-NYC NYC-Boston

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-20-2010 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: copyright

Old 04-20-2010, 01:46 PM

1,125 posts, read 4,105,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermolas View Post
South Station in Boston is the 3rd bussiest station on the East Coast after Grand Central And Penn in NYC

it survices:
Commuter Rail (7)
Subway (2)
Amtrak
S. Station has capacity issues correct? they are looking to add more tracks and expand as well.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:17 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,182,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermolas View Post

it survices:
Commuter Rail (7)
Subway (2)
Amtrak

Actually it is #4 I believe after 30th St

Old 04-20-2010, 06:41 PM

195 posts, read 342,673 times
Where does Penn station in Newark rank on the east coast ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or