Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:38 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,695 times

Advertisements

This is certainly good news for the rust belt. Certain cities like Cleveland and Detroit might be too far gone, but I think smaller rust belt cities like Akron and Buffalo may have a shot at attracting young professionals. Mostly due to their large public universities(both UA and UB have enrollments >28,000 students).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I am part of your generation aswell and although I agree with most of what you said, living in the city isn't the only solution. We want to be sucessful at whatever we do, and most people I know dream of having a nice car and nice house and that's not impossible, Esp if were not over taxed and controled by the government. The suburbs aren't going to die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
You're wrong.I'm a young student and I will live in city after that (Houston) but just some years, after that I'll go to a suburb to raise my kids with my wife.Many of my friends think the same thing.
For a young a condo is enough, but after (30s and more) he wants more !

You both live in states where cities are really just forms of government and not a state of living. A town with a mayor. Yes yes I know Jacksonville and Houston are large, but what are they in terms of urban form?

What I find insulting is that this is a forum called "city data" and yet 90% of the people who spout their opinions (which is fine) don't know the possibilities of a city.

When the majority of humans think of cities, they think of the typical archetypal city. A Paris, Rome, London, Tokyo, or in America New York, Boston, Chicago, SF, Philly. Dense, cosmopolitan, full of the multitude of life, is a small compact area. Not vast parking lots spread out over dozens of acres with the industrial warehouse in between. Land given over to the car and not the person.

It is that lifestyle that Gen-Ys/millennials are attracted to. Why can't we own homes and cars while living in a city? Don't forget there were no suburbs prior to the Civil War/Industrial Revolution. When you go to Europe, suburbs (in france they are called banlieu) are the equilvent to our inner cities, people want to live in cities, it's an attraction.

As Americans we value different things, and yeah, it gets us in big trouble. We drive cars which means oil, which means Arabs, which means terrorism, which means wars. It also means carbon emissions and climate change. It means bigger homes, which means bigger mortgages, which means bigger recessions which means bigger government intervention. I could go on and on I'm sure.

I'm sorry but Houston isn't a good example for a city. It's not a Boston, New York or San Francisco. Don't take it personally, but Houston isn't comparable to those cities, in terms of what defines a city.

I'm so glad you have figured your life out to the 'T'. I mean, can you tell me when the next earthquake is gonna strike? Buying a home 20 miles from whatever the center of Houston is but some how miraculously still living within the city limits is no where near the same thing as buying a townhome in inner Boston.

I think everyone needs to look up the definition of city and town and suburb.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:29 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
I think someone needs to climb down off his pedastal and have a look around. There is a very diverse world outside of your little corner.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:35 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
You both live in states where cities are really just forms of government and not a state of living. A town with a mayor. Yes yes I know Jacksonville and Houston are large, but what are they in terms of urban form?

What I find insulting is that this is a forum called "city data" and yet 90% of the people who spout their opinions (which is fine) don't know the possibilities of a city.

When the majority of humans think of cities, they think of the typical archetypal city. A Paris, Rome, London, Tokyo, or in America New York, Boston, Chicago, SF, Philly. Dense, cosmopolitan, full of the multitude of life, is a small compact area. Not vast parking lots spread out over dozens of acres with the industrial warehouse in between. Land given over to the car and not the person.

It is that lifestyle that Gen-Ys/millennials are attracted to. Why can't we own homes and cars while living in a city? Don't forget there were no suburbs prior to the Civil War/Industrial Revolution. When you go to Europe, suburbs (in france they are called banlieu) are the equilvent to our inner cities, people want to live in cities, it's an attraction.

As Americans we value different things, and yeah, it gets us in big trouble. We drive cars which means oil, which means Arabs, which means terrorism, which means wars. It also means carbon emissions and climate change. It means bigger homes, which means bigger mortgages, which means bigger recessions which means bigger government intervention. I could go on and on I'm sure.

I'm sorry but Houston isn't a good example for a city. It's not a Boston, New York or San Francisco. Don't take it personally, but Houston isn't comparable to those cities, in terms of what defines a city.

I'm so glad you have figured your life out to the 'T'. I mean, can you tell me when the next earthquake is gonna strike? Buying a home 20 miles from whatever the center of Houston is but some how miraculously still living within the city limits is no where near the same thing as buying a townhome in inner Boston.

I think everyone needs to look up the definition of city and town and suburb.
I agree with all of this.

All the people my age (early 20s) that I know don't want a suburban lifestyle. They want the big city. I know people (including myself) who want to have a family, but they would like to raise them in the city. That is a lot more feasible here in Portland than in most other cities though, I will give you that. There are TONS of young families living here in city of Portland.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:58 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,859 times
I'm 25, white, educated, gay. And personally, I would probably kill myself if I had to live in the suburbs. its dull, its family oriented, streets are dead by 8pm, your lawn must abide by neighborhood laws and access to the city can be a huge effort.

I need culture, vibrancy, social interaction, walkability. Owning a 3 bedroom house with an hour commute sitting in traffic to downtown Boston is not worth the mortgage for a house. I'll give up space any day to know that when I walk out my door I have the whole city immediately at my fingertips.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:27 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Perhaps you should actually visit these places, and your question on urban form will be answered.

The Downtowns of both of these places (as well as almost every other large Southern city) are surrounded by lovely old streetcar suburbs, that have morphed into very attractive and vital urban neighborhoods.

I realize that being in an almost economically obsolete area like Springfield tends to warp your worldview, but you really need to get out of your region and see more of the country that you claim to know so well.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:25 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
exactly. The suburbs will never die. They're part of the American dream. Idk why ppl on this site hate them so much. They're part of what makes America, America.
Seeing as how "auto-centric" most things are in our country, this is pretty much truth.

"Must drive the car/truck/SUV 1/2 block down the street to pick up that 2 liter, and I must stomp the accelerator too!!"

Although I have run into some tract areas in Rancho Cucamonga that actually have ped/bicycle paths built into the areas between the house rows.

If we had more of that, you could take the kids(if you have any) out on a little family bike ride to get that 2 liter.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:04 AM

128 posts, read 298,293 times
I'm a young person living in a city. I was actually considering living in an apartment in the Burbs rather than the city before I moved here, but I'm glad I went with the city. I do enjoy being able to walk to restaurants, cafes, shopping. However, I hope to live outside a small city in more of a "country" environment eventually. The city is fun for now, but I don't like crowds, traffic, pollution, high taxes, and cramped spaces and want my (future) kids to be able to grow up on some land, maybe near a lake or river, as I did. I don't necessarily think this is what others of my generation want...

Old 05-10-2010, 10:47 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Perhaps you should actually visit these places, and your question on urban form will be answered.

The Downtowns of both of these places (as well as almost every other large Southern city) are surrounded by lovely old streetcar suburbs, that have morphed into very attractive and vital urban neighborhoods.

I realize that being in an almost economically obsolete area like Springfield tends to warp your worldview, but you really need to get out of your region and see more of the country that you claim to know so well.
Yes yes, beat up on a mid size industrial New England city. Does it make you feel better about yourself?

Bully much?

Either way, you should read more carefully waht I wrote, and realize not to take it so personally. It wasn't an attack on those cities (unlike what you say about Springfield).

We are talking about the future, but you conservatives have some sort of allergy to the future, I know.

What's funny is, all the younger people on this thread have all said the same thing. Funny isn't it.

The suburb is dead. As it should be.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:57 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlyLA View Post
That is because of the selfish pigheadedness that American culture breeds into people. Me me me, want want want, bigger bigger bigger - that's all I hear. Some people can't even afford a roof over their heads...
Oh the irony. You do realize that LA was the archetype for suburban sprawlopolises like Houston and Atlanta, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning