Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:13 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,136 times

Advertisements

I think many of the blacks being gentrified out of places like San Francisco, Portland, Chicago, Philly etc will move to the South. Lots of whites down there might head back north after realizing the sunbelt isn't what they thought it would be.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the long off future the US self-segregates itself where the north (from San Francisco and Seattle to Boston and Philly) is largely white, the Southwest (LA to Texas) is largely hispanic, and the Southeast is largely black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 04:14 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
I don't see why gentrification is bad. I really like gentrification - it is a huge benefit to the city.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I think many of the blacks being gentrified out of places like San Francisco, Portland, Chicago, Philly etc will move to the South. Lots of whites down there might head back north after realizing the sunbelt isn't what they thought it would be.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the long off future the US self-segregates itself where the north (from San Francisco and Seattle to Boston and Philly) is largely white, the Southwest (LA to Texas) is largely hispanic, and the Southeast is largely black.
So basically, we go back to 1800. If this happens, I'm moving to Canada.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:42 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Paris is an example of a city where the poor have been shoved to the suburbs - but you also have to realize how tiny the footprint of Paris is.

You could fit 6 Paris' into the land area of Chicago. Paris is 20% smaller in size than either San Fran or Boston - two of our smallest major cities in land area.

There's easily 40 square miles of Chicago that have gentrified out from the South Loop to the West Loop and up and over across the north lakefront. People have come and gone, but still as was pointed out, there's a large chunk of the city that's not gentrified in any major sense of the word.

In the end gentrification is just a word for "change". Just like the ball rolls up the hill when places gentrify, it probably rolled down the hill at some point as well when they fell on hard times.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:43 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
So basically, we go back to 1800. If this happens, I'm moving to Canada.
It's not like it's some kind of social injustice. It's just something that happens when classes change in an area.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:43 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,923,957 times
I have mixed feelings on this.

Of course we're all supposed to want a country where all races and classes live side by side, but really segregation (even not forced) is a natural thing. It's a fact that the far majority of people (around 90% I read) would prefer to live by people like them, the same income level and race, etc. Especially for the more wealthy. In areas where I grew up it was diverse racially, a pretty good mix of Black, Hispanic, and other (mainly white and mixed), but what we had in common was that the far majority of us were poor. So, if not race segregation there will most likely be class segregation in a lot of areas.

It's gotten to a point now where it's not acceptable to say that you actually want that, but it's what a lot of people think. Just see what happens to most cities when there's forced busing to cross-town schools and open enrollment. This is especially relevant to where I'm from, Cleveland. Forced busing started and the city immediately started going downhill faster than ever. People didn't want their kids going to school with kids from the ghetto, and moved out of the city all together. Soon what you saw was kids being bused from the ghetto, to the ghetto instead of a decent area. By the time this was stopped in 1996 it was too late, the damage had been done. Another example is section 8, most the time section 8 in decent areas is the same thing as integration, but I've seen it completely destroy decent communities and turn them into full blown ghettos.

Of course there a lot of areas where integration has had a positive change, but most of those areas were bad or dead before it happened.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:46 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post

Not likely. More often in terms of black migration it is middle income and above that are moving to the South. A big issue in other cities is that college educated blacks are much more likely to leave than similar whites preventing a buildup of a black middle to upper class in those cities. It also will cause over time more racial tension in those cities as well since they will often see only the poorer ones remain. Whites are also unlikely to leave the sunbelt, often due to the reason they moved in the first place hasn't changed. Also at this point it would be the children who are born there and have roots that would make the decision. There would only be a large outmigration if the area started to go downhill for some reason.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
It's not like it's some kind of social injustice. It's just something that happens when classes change in an area.
Segregation is a sign of ignorance, intolerance, and even - in many cases - hatred. I hate segregation, especially large-scale segregation like what MN55 described.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:52 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Segregation is a sign of ignorance, intolerance, and even - in many cases - hatred. I hate segregation, especially large-scale segregation like what MN55 described.
It would be segregation of classes, race only tends to follow those lines.

There is such a thing as being too tolerant. I'm sure you're down with all races but I know a few black neighborhoods in Detroit you wouldn't wanna live in, and some white ones nearby that are more desirable.

...but it's not the skin color, it's the green.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:47 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I've been wondering about this for a while...

Just looking at the bay area, I've been... less than impressed by the direction gentrification is taking. Take San Francisco, for example... the Fillmore has perhaps been hit by gentrification worse than any other neighborhood in the city. What was once the heart of the black jazz musician community in the bay is becoming increasingly less black and is increasingly at risk of losing its connection with its history.

Oakland, which was once the black mecca of the bay, is also becoming increasingly less black... according to the most recent census, blacks are no longer the biggest minority... whites are. West Oakland, the historically black neighborhood of Oakland and the heart of the bay area blues scene, is quickly being gentrified away... even now it's a shadow of its former self. North Oakland is being gentrified too, and the Fruitvale neighborhood of East Oakland is likely next.

East Palo Alto used to be the only majority-black community on the Peninsula and still has the largest black community by far... however, this says more about the lack of blacks on the peninsula than the large number of blacks there are in EPA. EPA's black population has continued to dwindle thanks in large part to the continued gentrification of the areas of EPA near the 101 EPA/Palo Alto border and the area immediately east of the Ikea/Ravenswood shopping center. Now, the largest group in EPA by far is Latino; slowly but surely EPA is beginning to strongly mirror neighborhoods such as North Fair Oaks, East San Bruno and other communities along the peninsula that are east of El Camino Real. EPA's gentrification has happened at quite the exaggerated rate... this is understandable, though, considering that the land that EPA occupies is prime real estate.

The blacks in the bay are getting pushed farther north and east, with cities like Pittsburg, Fairfield, Antioch, Vallejo and more recently Concord being the most popular destinations. If the trends continue, eventually blacks will be pushed out of the bay area entirely.

Why is this happening now? In a lot of ways, I feel this has a whole lot to do with Silicon Valley. Being that the Valley has attracted a lot of upper-middle to upper class families to the bay, it's not surprising that poorer families are getting pushed out.

With all that being said, here's the question I ask you: Is this trend ultimately harmful to the cultural future of the bay area as a whole?

And it's not just the bay... All one has to do is look at Harlem in NY and Columbia Heights in DC to realize that it's happening everywhere. Thanks to Katrina, New Orleans is likely about to be gentrified en masse...

Is the American black community going to considerably decrease in the next 20 years? Where are they going to be pushed to? These are all relevant questions to me as a young black man...
every time i go to harlem and i was their last week btw, it feels black as ever to me.

yea their are white people not that its a problem but people overhyphe it or maybe people are to paranoid

cause i remember when i went to harlem after hearing about gentrification and i thought it would look like park slope , only thing was when i got off st nich and 125th street it look like your typical segregated black neighborhood.

i think the whole gentrification thing is a little bit more hyphed up , well maybe in nyc at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning