U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 04:07 PM

34 posts, read 221,343 times

Advertisements

We have just learned we are going to HILL AFB. Can anyone tell us about the area; high schools w/good stats and little to no problems with crime or drugs and gangs. We are looking for no to low crime house areas with fast fire and police response. New homes and prices etc etc etc? I also need to be close to a good hospital with a heart team on staff!!!

We know nothing about the area. What are best surrounding cities to live in for military families and we do not need to be right on top of the base either?
We have a teen age son, that has lived overseas most of his life and has been very sheltered, we would like to keep it that way if you know what I mean.

Can anyone tell us where the closest hospitals are located from the base? Any Baptist churches with gospel services? Organized activities to do for teenagers? Are there any community colleges or universities in the area? Are there any good paying jobs?
I guess what we want to know, is how the area is in general and what to expect?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 08:06 PM

30 posts, read 182,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3t2smart View Post
We have just learned we are going to HILL AFB. Can anyone tell us about the area; high schools w/good stats and little to no problems with crime or drugs and gangs. We are looking for no to low crime house areas with fast fire and police response. New homes and prices etc etc etc? I also need to be close to a good hospital with a heart team on staff!!!

We know nothing about the area. What are best surrounding cities to live in for military families and we do not need to be right on top of the base either?
We have a teen age son, that has lived overseas most of his life and has been very sheltered, we would like to keep it that way if you know what I mean.

Can anyone tell us where the closest hospitals are located from the base? Any Baptist churches with gospel services? Organized activities to do for teenagers? Are there any community colleges or universities in the area? Are there any good paying jobs?
I guess what we want to know, is how the area is in general and what to expect?

Thanks
Schools borders have been changing because more schools have been built. So make sure you check with the realtor you use. And make sure they know what they are talking about before you buy anything. Because I ran into a realtor who was giving a military family all the wrong info on the school just to sell a house I was renting. Lucky for them I was there and knew the correct info.

West of HAFB you'll find:
In Davis County: Clearfield, Layton, Clinton, Syracuse, Sunset.
In Weber County: Roy, West Haven, Hooper, Riverdale, South Weber, South Ogden, Ogden, to name a few.

There are a lot of military families in all these areas. All are located conveniently to stores, malls, churches, schools, etc. Most of the cities around HAFB are about only 20 mins from HAFB. But in the mornings trying to get on HAFB it can be a 30+ mins drive. Traffic is really at its worse trying to get on or get off HAFB during rush hour.

DAVIS COUNTY:

CLEARFIELD: You can find the old and new homes here. The cheaper to the more expensive. It depends if you want to me in the more rural areas or in the city areas. But it is close to HAFB. The high school is older but I hear it's a good school. There are some gangs issues. It is more diverse. Most would attend Clearfield H. S.

SYRACUSE: Is a more expensive area. There's a mix of older and newer areas. There are a lot of new developments. It's a bit more costly. Also close to HAFB. May attend Clearfield or North Davis H.S. depending on border check this out. Wal-mart.

LAYTON: There are newer and older homes here. They attend North Ridge H. S. which is outside the South Gate of HAFB. A lot of military children go to this school and the families live in the nearby communities. Again, always check the school borders because things are always changing.

Just up the road (East) of the South Gate there are some churches. I believe one of them is Baptist. I've heard it's a really nice place.

From the South Gate, if you head East, take HWY 89 North (basically driving around the mountain) you'll find Washingon Heights Baptist Church(Welcome to WHBC Online) which is about 20 mins away. It's a really nice place. My family attends here. They have music lessons, camps, womens groups, etc. etc. for the family.

SUNSET: Sunset is an older community. Depending on borders they may attend Roy H.S. or Clearfield H. S. Make sure you check. I find Sunset just to be a bit older. Not what I was looking for.

CLINTON: Has older and new homes. My understanding from two friends who have lived in some areas in Clinton is the LDS/Mormon influence is strong and they can be more prejustice. This happened to an adult friend of mine and my friends children. So ask around before buying there. Sorry Clinton! It's a nice area though. Depending on the border they may go to Clearfield H.S. or take a bus to Fremont H. S. in Plain City. Check this.

WEBER COUNTY:

ROY: Roy is nice, but crowded. There are a lot of new and used home there. I loved it there. Pretty responsible in price. You can get a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home with a small to large lot (depending on the area) for about $163,000 and higher. ( I sold mine here to a military family last year). There are some churches around the area. They are smaller than the ones in South Ogden and Layton. The ones in South Ogden and Layton are newer and much larger.

Police response: I had to call the cops once when I had a stalker/peeper at my house. They tried to get in my back door with me home. One phone call got me 6 cops cars in less than 3 mins. But the guy had already gotten away.

I've never had a problem with cops in Utah. They usually respond pretty quickly. I think in more gang or drug areas like downtown Ogden it may be harder to get fast responses. Maybe you can find some reports somewhere online.

WEST HAVEN: South of Roy, there are newer and older homes. They bus to Fremont H. S. Nice more rural area.

HOOPER: West of Roy, has some newer and older homes. They bus to Roy H. S. (possibly Fremont H. S. if the borders have changed for some of them).

Around 5100 South ( I think this is right street. It goes through Syracuse, Clinton, Roy, West Haven, Hooper) in the next 10 years they plan to build the Legacy Highway(find more info on the internet about it). When considering a real estate purchase I suggest you be careful that your house and yard are not on top of this area where it may bring your house value down (part of the reason I sold my house when I did. I didn't want my house value to drop out on me).

Also, Wal-mart has taken over a lot of areas down there. There's a Wal-mart in rural areas one in Syracuse, 3 miles away in Clinton, 3 miles away in W. Haven. Every 3 miles! It's ridiculous! Another reason I sold my house. Again check where your home is located and what's being built nearby before purchasing. It may be hard to re-sell if it's too close to the new highway or a Wal-Mart.

SOUTH OGDEN & OGDEN: South Ogden has a variety of newer and older homes. Churches.
In the Ogden area in general, unfortunately, these areas have been hit with more gang and drug activity depending on the location. It's also more diverse than other areas. I don't find as many military families in these areas because it's more difficult to get to HAFB in winter because of the heavy traffic. I don't suggest these areas.

RIVERDALE: Riverdale has older and newer homes. It's just East of Roy. It's a nice community. They go to Bonneville H. S. which is a good school. Close to the Washington Heights Church (About 20 mins away). Close to the Museum entrance of HAFB.

Check out REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale for homes available.

HAFB has some great resources for you here:

HAFB website: Hill Air Force Base - Home

Newcomers: Fact Sheets : Newcomers Page : Newcomers Page

Housing Office: Fact Sheets : Housing Management Office : Housing Management Office

HOSPITALS:

McKay-Dee Hospital Center - Opening Intermountain Health Care web site
4401 Harrison Blvd, Ogden - (801) 627-2800
1 review, directions, and more

*Close to the Washington Heights Baptist Church*

Ogden Regional Medical Center - Ogden Regional Medical Center - Home Page
5475 S 500 E, Ogden - (801) 479-2111

*Close to the Washington Heights Baptist Church*

Davis Hospital & Medical Center
Davis Hospital and Medical Center

1600 W Antelope Dr
Layton, UT 84041
(801) 807-1000

*Close to HAFB South Gate, North Ridge H.S. *

In SLC you'll find:

University of Utah

University Health Care
50 North Medical Drive
Salt Lake City, Utah 84132
(801)581-2121
Maps - University Health Care

They may have specialized care you need.

This group might be able to refer you to a good cardiologist in or near HAFB.

Heart Transplant
Description
The Heart Transplant Group provides support to patients and families dealing with the transplant process. The group offers the opportunity to discuss issues in an informal setting.

Schedule/Meeting Times
For more information call (801) 581-3298

Contact
Angela Bowman, L.C.S.W
Phone: (801) 581-3298

Kids and what to do in Utah: There's tons to do from skiing, water skiing, hiking, biking, four wheeling, camping, etc. I know a lot of military friends of mine from HAFB were extremely active and HAFB always has stuff going on.
The baptist churches also have a lot of activities for the family too.

I think you'll love Utah. Hope you like white Christmas' because the Wasatch mountains are gorgeous when they are snowcapped.

Good Luck!!!

Any other questions please don't hesitate to ask me!

*GypsyLee* over 20 years experience in UT

Old 06-23-2007, 09:56 PM

34 posts, read 221,343 times
Thumbs up Thanks for the info

WOW you said a mouth full, this is GREAT! Are you a realtor and if so pls send me your details in a private message? We arrive in 2 weeks and if not can you put me in touch with someone with your knowledge...
MANY THANKS

Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 AM

119 posts, read 777,526 times
Default Moving here

We got transferred to Hill two years ago. It took me a long time to adjust, but now I love it here and so do our two teenagers, and we're not LDS. Daughter goes to Layton High and loves it. I don't have to worry about her getting into trouble or drugs. I'm sure it's there, but if it is, it's minute. She will have a ton of opportunities as far as college when she graduates, but she wants to stay here and go to Westminster in Salt Lake.

I, personally, love where we live, which is East Layton. It's closer to the mountains and Highway 89, which is a quicker way to Salt Lake. Our neighborhood is quiet and nice. I don't worry about crime where I live. This place has four seasons, dry, little bugs, beautiful sunsets. Very family oriented.

If I were you, I'd look into East Layton. Would never live in Clinton or Roy or Clearfield. Stay East. Way nicer. Closer to the mountains. My fiance has lived all over the place, and this is his favorite place so far. Wages are lower here though. We're taking the kids rafting up in Morgan on the 4th of July. It's a blast.

Last edited by snowflake73; 06-24-2007 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: not done

Old 06-24-2007, 09:37 AM

318 posts, read 1,205,147 times
Wow. Great info. Just what I was looking for. Could you tell me how much snow the above areas get. Being from CA...we are not use to driving in the snow. How many inches do these areas get? Also...I heard mention on another thread about salting the roads? I didn't think that this was done anymore...

Thanks for all the great info.

Izzy

Old 06-25-2007, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3t2smart View Post
WOW you said a mouth full, this is GREAT! Are you a realtor and if so pls send me your details in a private message? We arrive in 2 weeks and if not can you put me in touch with someone with your knowledge...
MANY THANKS
WOW! Did I ever say a mouthful! LOL I'm not a realtor. Just grew up in those areas. I would love to give you my friends name who sold my house but he doesn't work Full-Time as a realtor. So, honestly, he wouldn't be full-time enough for you right now.

1. Try calling the Housing Office on HAFB they should have someone to help you find someone familiar with the area. They may have a lead for you.

But, if you do go off-base, I wouldn't suggest Century 21 Sunset. This father-son team tried to screw my grandmother royally recently. They wanted 8% to sell her house! Total rip off! Got a little old lady to sign paperwork, etc. It was very shifty of them.

2. I think Coldwell Banker does a really good job. They have a lot of homes available. I went to Coldwell Banker Real Estate Corporation and got you this info to give your a start, she's in Clearfield near HAFB and her office has many different agents.

Wish you all the very best of luck! Enjoy Utah!

*GypsyLee*

Last edited by coolcats; 06-25-2007 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Please don't post specific Agent info

Old 06-25-2007, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Wow. Great info. Just what I was looking for. Could you tell me how much snow the above areas get. Being from CA...we are not use to driving in the snow. How many inches do these areas get? Also...I heard mention on another thread about salting the roads? I didn't think that this was done anymore...

Thanks for all the great info.

Izzy
Glad to share info I have! Anything and everything is helpful I'm sure.

Every winter is different. In the worst winters I've seen my car was in my work parking lot and 8 hours later I was digging it out of snow almost up to my knee about 6 inches or more (wind drifts helped to make it deeper). Overall it's not too bad. Maybe 6-8 inches over the whole winter on the valley floor. The closer to the moutains you get the more snow and deeper it gets. You'll clean your windows alot.

Being from CA myself I understand what you're worried about. Drive slow, take your time. Leave early enough. And watch out for the other guy! LOL

Salt..Yes, Utah uses salt. Your car will be nice and dirty. And the roads suck. Pot holes galore!

This is when I say that AAA can be helpful.

GypsyLee

Old 06-25-2007, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake73 View Post
We got transferred to Hill two years ago. It took me a long time to adjust, but now I love it here and so do our two teenagers, and we're not LDS. Daughter goes to Layton High and loves it. I don't have to worry about her getting into trouble or drugs. I'm sure it's there, but if it is, it's minute. She will have a ton of opportunities as far as college when she graduates, but she wants to stay here and go to Westminster in Salt Lake.

I, personally, love where we live, which is East Layton. It's closer to the mountains and Highway 89, which is a quicker way to Salt Lake. Our neighborhood is quiet and nice. I don't worry about crime where I live. This place has four seasons, dry, little bugs, beautiful sunsets. Very family oriented.

If I were you, I'd look into East Layton. Would never live in Clinton or Roy or Clearfield. Stay East. Way nicer. Closer to the mountains. My fiance has lived all over the place, and this is his favorite place so far. Wages are lower here though. We're taking the kids rafting up in Morgan on the 4th of July. It's a blast.

That's what I forgot..Layton H.S...Sorry! The area that you've described is great too! I don't know Layton as much. But it is more costly to live there from my understanding. Considering that you want to live near the church though East Layton would be a nice area.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:39 PM

11 posts, read 47,874 times
we are thinking about moving to salt lake area from ohio...this forum has helped me out alot...layton is one of the areas we have been intrested in...does anyone know if they have high school hockey or if there is youth hockey near by???
the snow kinda freaked me out to when i saw how long and much winter is...ohio is snows bad a few weeks a winter..lol

Old 06-28-2007, 09:17 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,711,406 times
Seems like you are getting good info here. I'll throw in a bit about the base. I am an Navy officer so take it with a grain of salt :-)

The base is set up quite nicely. There is a great commissary (tends to be more crowded than I have seen with others). The AFFES/BX is also nice (new building)...but I find it not much of a cost savings.

There is a great ticket/Travel office...excellent for discount tix to local attractions. However I have not had much luck with their travel desk...it is almost never less expensive than looking in Travelocity.

The gym on base is brand new...and is amazing.

If you need any other info fell free to PM me. Thanks and best of luck. Layton is a great town to live in if you end up living off base. I would be happy to help you with realtors as well...I know a few.

Brandon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah