U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2007, 10:35 AM

24 posts, read 55,296 times
Default What it is like in Cedar City

What would it be like to live in a community with no smog, no traffic, beautiful views, pleasant people, great schools, low crime, and all 4 seasons? Gosh what would you do? Is this Utopia? no its lovely Cedar city Utah. If you would like me to tell you more about this great place to spend the rest of your life definately respond to my post or e-mail is good too. looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Attached Thumbnails
What it is like in Cedar City-pool_glow.jpg   What it is like in Cedar City-devilsgarden.jpg  

Last edited by rhondaw; 06-24-2007 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: change title
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 11:43 AM

1,646 posts, read 4,498,739 times
Please make sure all real estate-specific responses are done using private messages.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:45 AM

7 posts, read 23,231 times
Are you kidding? Cedar City is not nearly as nice as you are trying to make it sound.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:03 AM

24 posts, read 55,296 times
Default not nearly as nice?

What do you mean, you dont think its nice in Cedar City? I guess I have a different appreciation of whats nice, I was raised in Los Angeles, California, So I guess when there are no drive bys, or reports of my grandmother getting mugged at the grocery store,and 4-5 helicopters circling my neigborhood looking for fugatives all night long, Cedar seems like Utopia to me. Call me crazy If you have lived in this state all your life then you are tuely blessed to have not had to see violence growing up, I really want that for my children.
What are your feelings on Cedar City?

Old 06-25-2007, 01:04 PM

129 posts, read 340,321 times
Well, while Cedar has a lot going for it (scenery, Shakespearean Festival, beatiful canyon nearby, close to the Nat'l Parks, etc.), it isn't paradise. The winter's are cold (and some of the people are, too), and it's windy more often than not (I'm not talking breeze here); it's lacking in the civic pride that St. Geo has (how many old pioneer homes have been torn down--just to be replaced by a little strip-mall or tacky newer houses---and I won't even mention the gracious old El Escalante Hotel); plus how many homes and yards are uncared for? And have they gotten better at weed abatement? In case you doubt me, I was born and raised in the town (Sorry, about that, Rhonda; glad you like it)

Last edited by LlasaLost; 06-25-2007 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 06-25-2007, 05:59 PM

16,418 posts, read 11,020,227 times
Default Cedar City

Cedar City is nice, but not as nice if you are not Mormon. My daughter was born and adopted there and we had a lot of hassle by the hospital staff because the LDS church does not want a child adopted out of the LDS church. The doctor actually tried to infludence the birthmother not to place.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:28 PM

1,646 posts, read 4,498,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Cedar City is nice, but not as nice if you are not Mormon. My daughter was born and adopted there and we had a lot of hassle by the hospital staff because the LDS church does not want a child adopted out of the LDS church. The doctor actually tried to infludence the birthmother not to place.
Assuming the baby was put up for adoption through LDS social services, then yes. That is their right given it is a private non-profit organization sponsored by the LDS Church. Below are the criteria

"Basic requirements for an infant adoption include a couple being (1) married at least two years, (2) sealed to each other in the temple and maintain current recommends, (3) able to clear criminal background and child abuse registry checks required by government regulations, (4) and able to financially provide for a child, including insurance coverage once the child is placed in the couple's home. Couples should also hold a current temple recommend and a positive recommendation from their Bishop"

Now lets get the topic back on track.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:27 AM

It was not through LDSFS. LDSFS will gladly take birthmothers from any religion (no brainer) but will only place babies with LDS couples. This was a private adoption, private placement and there was no reason for them to get involved. The birthmother was not even LDS either. They felt it was their duty for it to go with a LDS couple or not be placed at all.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:43 PM

129 posts, read 340,321 times
crayola---who is/was "they"? Official agency? Birth-mother? Private individual?

Old 06-27-2007, 05:41 PM

"They" were most of the hospital staff in the maternity ward working during those 5 days she was in the hospital, as well as the doctor. One nurse was so obvious about her dislike of adoption in general and this baby being placed in a non-LDS home that my Cedar City attorney asked the head of the OB ward to please have her not be allowed to come into that room to provide care. The hospital obliged and she no longer came into the room. The nurses acted as if I didn't exist when they came into the room, and were no very pleasant to the birthmother either. The last day she was in the hospital, the day she would also terminate her parental rights, the doctor confronted me at the OB desk when I arrived that morning. He said he spoke to the birthmother and told her she didn't have to place (which we all knew anyway). She was in tears when I got to her room and said he upset her. I couldn't get out of Cedar City fast enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah