U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:25 PM

21,866 posts, read 21,987,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The season I call "hell" is almost over for the year. Then it's back to the good stuff.
Yeah, and just about the same time, the season I call "hell" will be here for another six long months. (Where's the throw-up smilie when I need it?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 08:44 AM

121 posts, read 305,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Bound View Post
I have to wonder, if so many UT residents dont like Utah then why do they live there? Why havent you moved somewhere else? Why would you stay in a place where you have such a problem?
If you dont have anything positive you can tell me about the area, then hey, why do you still live there??
Short answer: I don't.

Some things about Utah I miss.

Some things about Utah I don't miss at all.

Some things are pretty much the same here in Idaho.

I lived in Utah for decades, and really liked it there. But over the years I changed, and it changed, and now Idaho is a better fit for me.

It really has less to do with all the negative and positive things other forum posters have mentioned, and more to do with the mindset of the people. When you grow up, you go through phases in your life. The High School years are different from the college years, which are different from the young children years, which are different from the empty nester years. Your world view changes as you experience more and have different worries and needs.

The mindset of the state changes as well. As the population grows the places that used to be rural become more citified. A lot of the freedoms that used to be there get curtailed. Things that used to be brushed off with the "scat happens" attitude become regulated with the "there oughta be a law" mindset. Seatbelts and carseats and vehicle inspections become mandatory. Licenses and permits and inspections are required for things that anyone used to be able to just do. Insurance gets mandated. Building codes and subdivision covenants are needed. Taxes go up. Life gets more expensive and income goes down. Schools...

You get the idea. Basically, the state went one way, and my wife and I went the other way. It's happening here as well, but hopefully by the time it gets really bad we'll be either dead or in a retirement home and won't care.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:12 AM

10,851 posts, read 10,524,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoMormon View Post
It really has less to do with all the negative and positive things other forum posters have mentioned, and more to do with the mindset of the people. When you grow up, you go through phases in your life. The High School years are different from the college years, which are different from the young children years, which are different from the empty nester years. Your world view changes as you experience more and have different worries and needs.

The mindset of the state changes as well. As the population grows the places that used to be rural become more citified. A lot of the freedoms that used to be there get curtailed. Things that used to be brushed off with the "scat happens" attitude become regulated with the "there oughta be a law" mindset. Seatbelts and carseats and vehicle inspections become mandatory. Licenses and permits and inspections are required for things that anyone used to be able to just do. Insurance gets mandated. Building codes and subdivision covenants are needed. Taxes go up. Life gets more expensive and income goes down. Schools...

You get the idea.
Wow, you summarized my complaints very well--those along with the overpopulation problem.

There are lots of things to like about Utah, but those few not-so-good things you mention, the population explosion, and too hot summers outweigh the good points, at least in my mind. There are a very few communities in Utah that I would still actually consider moving to and living--all away from the Wasatch Front area, and all small or VERY small. Randolph/Woodruff, Neola, Hanna, Montecello, and East Carbon could work for me. I drove through East Carbon/Sunnyside just yesterday for kicks. Obviously a struggling old coal town. But, there isn't one McMansion in town. All the homes were of the typical small/cozy size for a 1940's and 50's blue collar town (ie, they were reasonable homes). It was like a time capsule back to before our modern excess. I love it! I could live there and like it (except for summers )... once I found work (I'd assume in Price), of course. It's too bad the place is struggling so much.

But, North Dakota has been calling me for quite some time... so, I'm working towards making that move. Then I won't have any cause to "bash" Utah any more.

Last edited by ChrisC; 08-14-2010 at 09:33 AM..

Old 08-15-2010, 02:26 AM

8,315 posts, read 9,755,560 times
I think this is true of every place. Some people will like it, some won't, for any number of reasons. The myriad outdoor stuff to do keeps me happy. What makes me unhappy: It's getting too big and populated. I remember growing up when SLC had almost a quaint, small city feel to it. Now it's just one big sprawling metropolis from southern utah county clear up into weber. Too many people. You can see the typical 'big city problems' starting to rear their head.

So yeah, stay away.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:15 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,666,094 times
well I see tha tmost of you guys that grew up there think its now too populated, well most coming from other places love it because it still has that smaller city feel (lack of traffic, short commutes etc) but the benefits of a big city (alot of jobs, alot of stores and shops ect)

Old 08-15-2010, 08:41 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,697,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
I think if you look at most city/area forums on CityData, there is a lot of native/local self-bashing going on. I think it might be the nature of these forums.
This post is spot on. I lived in Utah for a few years...saw the bashing on here also. I moved to Long Island...and its the same thing. In fact...its EXACTLY the same thing. The major topics are very consistent (even down to religion).

Things are tough all over???....

Old 08-15-2010, 08:58 AM

5,317 posts, read 10,997,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Wow, you summarized my complaints very well--those along with the overpopulation problem.
<<<snipped>>>
I could live there and like it (except for summers )... once I found work (I'd assume in Price), of course. It's too bad the place is struggling so much.
uhuh ...
What do you think would happen if it was NOT struggling ?

You would move there, and so would countless others, and there you go again ...
same complaints ...

I remember from living in California, where people in the LA area moved south west, towards the ocean.
Once there, they (the ones like you and I, NOT the affluent) could go no further, and started to complain again
and then moved to Utah (a lot of them, many of them LDS).
Why do you think they come here ? What made *you* come here ?

I just live where I live now, do my *own thing*, help the neighbours, talk to them a bit once and awhile,
attend their *parties*, sit next to a person who drinks beer (!!! ),
share home-grown veggies (I have Thai lady next door, and she has a *dark green thumb*)
and be a reasonable happy person (I think ...).
Is *where I live, over populated* ? Depends on personal outlook.
There is really no way to add more houses, right around me ...

And yes, I agree, when I arrived here (when you marry a Utah girl, you end up here ...),
I thought this was really small stuff. When *new people* arrive here today, they still think so ...

So ...
To all *bashers* ...
Bash all you want, because this forum is probably one of the few ways, you can vent your frustration.
Don't keep it inside you. It is good to *let it all out* ...
Then ...
To all *do not like bashers* or *I do not like to bash* ...
Hej, you do not have a pet peeve you *would like* to bazoon all over ... ???

Uhmmm ... I want to complain now !
If those city planners would have some decent thinking process ...
we would not feel over crowded.
No brainer !!! (take this statement anyway you like ...)
Create plots at least 5 acres ...
Each 20 homes must have at least one city park nearby ...
Only one car per family
Speed limit on any road only 35 mph !!!
All office buildings to be built *under-ground* !!
(would that not make a beautiful city scape ?)
Public transportation must run every 15 minutes !
(On every other street !!!)
Hah !!! At least I complain, but offer a solution !!!

Hej Irman, wake up, get back to reality !!!
Oh well ...

Last edited by irman; 08-15-2010 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-15-2010, 10:48 AM

10,851 posts, read 10,524,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
well I see tha tmost of you guys that grew up there think its now too populated, well most coming from other places love it because it still has that smaller city feel (lack of traffic, short commutes etc) but the benefits of a big city (alot of jobs, alot of stores and shops ect)
I think this is exactly the kind of person this area (Wasatch Front Metropolis) will appeal to. And there is nothing wrong with that. Times change and folks on both sides of the coin do what they need to do to stay happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
uhuh ...
What do you think would happen if it was NOT struggling ?

You would move there, and so would countless others, and there you go again ...
same complaints ...
That's a good point. As for the case of East Carbon, I'd assume that nearly everyone there works in Price--that's kind of a pain of a drive to do every day, but I suppose a good chunk of the 1500 or so people in East Carbon/Sunnyside do it. I'd also assume that they are willing to do it because of the isolation and small-town feel in the community. There were once a couple of coal mines there (it was a "company town"), but now you have a museum, a small grocery store, and a gas station... oh and a park. That's pretty much it besides the rows of cute little homes (some need a lot of TLC, though). The place is so isolated and quite a ways from any major highway, on a dead-end canyon road; it's assured to remain a forgotten little place unless the coal industry suddenly surges or something. And it's not in the kind of setting that most city folks would look to for a "getaway" or cabin site (like many other greener areas of the mountains--Park City, Scofield, Indianola, Kamas, Alta, Soldier Summit, Strawberry, Fruitland, etc).

I think it's exactly that zero growth potential that appeals to me. That's why I could like a place like that. There are very few places like that in Utah that haven't already become ghost towns. In fact, that's why I've been planning a move to northeastern North Dakota. Lot's of small towns that have a good chance of staying that way for a long time--hey, let's face it... just the mention of North Dakota winters is enough to scare most folks from California (or wherever), looking for greener pastures, away.

Anyway, if for some crazy reason I decide to stay in Utah, East Carbon/Sunnyside will be on my very short list of potential homes. And you know, the entire Price area has the Wasatch Front area beat for scenic beauty. They also have the mountains just a few miles away, but that end of the valley is gorgeous with small mesa-type hills surrounding all the little towns (Price, Helper, Castle Dale, Carbonville, Spring Glen) in the area. So you have this sort of rolling desert foothill scenario. Yes, it's just as dry as SLC/Provo area, but much more scenic, slightly cooler on average and a hell of a lot less hectic. Mountains to the west and north. Book cliffs to the east. And a desert playground (San Rafael Swell) to the south. Then you have all of the mining history and ghost towns in the area to explore. Sad thing is I think the Price area will explode just as the SLC/Provo area has. It's already growing by leaps and bounds. It's still fairly small-town, though. At least for now.

Quote:
I remember from living in California, where people in the LA area moved south west, towards the ocean.
Once there, they (the ones like you and I, NOT the affluent) could go no further, and started to complain again
and then moved to Utah (a lot of them, many of them LDS).
Why do you think they come here ? What made *you* come here ?
Same thing. Of course, I moved with my family as a child. But it was to "get out of the rat race"... which followed some years later anyway!

Quote:
And yes, I agree, when I arrived here (when you marry a Utah girl, you end up here ...),
I thought this was really small stuff. When *new people* arrive here today, they still think so ...
Assuming I get out of here, I guess I will just be repeating an age-old cycle. My angle is to go where most folks wouldn't want to go. Any time I read that an area is: A) Too cold. B) There is nothing to do. C) There are no jobs... well, I know I'm on the right track and I've found a potential home. A) I understand what a coat and long underwear are for (besides, I love the cold). B) I've never had "nothing to do"; I'm self-contained in that regard. C) What they mean is that there are no high-paying yuppie/professional jobs. That, I don't care about. Although I'm educated, I'm willing to do whatever. Any place people live, there is some sort of work by definition. It's just work many are not willing to do, or wages that will not support their lifestyle.

That's the main reason I chose North Dakota. But I think there are still a few places like that in Utah if you look hard. They are the places that have NOT become bedroom communities or weekend-cabin-getaways for the Wasatch-Fronters.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:38 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,369,650 times
I personaly love southern Utah but that is the only part of the state that I like. It` hard to find anything positive about the rest of it.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:05 PM

8,315 posts, read 9,755,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
I personaly love southern Utah but that is the only part of the state that I like. It` hard to find anything positive about the rest of it.
Dude, world-class skiing! You'd be nuts to live here and not take advantage of something in your backyard that draws people from around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or