Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:38 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times

Advertisements

Howdy Utahians, or whatever you call yourselves...!

I live in S. Oregon, and I am looking at a position at Utah State in Logan. I have been surfing around the web and looking at Google Earth,etc., crime, schools, and I like what I am seeing. It seems much more conservative than what I am used to in Oregon, but the place seems pretty well managed overall. Good schools, good economy, safe, sane, friendly, affordable.....you get the picture.

We are looking for safe neighborhoods with lots of places to run the dogs (border collie and heeler), friendly, sensible folk, and LOTS of nature all around. Trails, trails, trails please! Winter sports? Yea, that too! Oregon is a pretty tough state to compare to, but Utah is also pretty amazing. We are left of center academic types, but pretty traditional and family-oriented. We don't meddle, and appreciate the same.

In any case, enough rambling. How, why should I sell my Oregon-loving liberal wife and 7 year old son on Logan, Utah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:54 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Hi, Fiddlehead. I don't have a lot of advice for you, but maybe I can say a couple of things to get the ball rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
We're Utahns. (It's a lot easier to say than "Utahians.")

Quote:
I live in S. Oregon, and I am looking at a position at Utah State in Logan. I have been surfing around the web and looking at Google Earth,etc., crime, schools, and I like what I am seeing. It seems much more conservative than what I am used to in Oregon, but the place seems pretty well managed overall. Good schools, good economy, safe, sane, friendly, affordable.....you get the picture.
It's everything you've said, but will be much, much more conservative than what you're used to. You'd have to just make up your mind to make the best of that one "drawback."

Quote:
We are looking for safe neighborhoods with lots of places to run the dogs (border collie and heeler), friendly, sensible folk, and LOTS of nature all around. Trails, trails, trails please! Winter sports? Yea, that too! Oregon is a pretty tough state to compare to, but Utah is also pretty amazing. We are left of center academic types, but pretty traditional and family-oriented. We don't meddle, and appreciate the same.
Well, as a native Utahn, I've got to say that absolutely nothing can compare to the Oregon coast. Nothing.

Quote:
In any case, enough rambling. How, why should I sell my Oregon-loving liberal wife and 7 year old son on Logan, Utah?
Tell her to be prepared for a culture shock, and promise to let her go back to Oregon a couple of times a year to see family and friends. I'd say that if you're prepared for the worst, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:56 PM

Thanks Katspur, Utahn noted. Not sure how to say it, but it looks great.

Well, I will not say "drawback" about politics at this point, because it is not my place to judge. That said, one of the things I have found distasteful about Idaho is how many people are moving there (usually from California, but elsewhere too) because they don't like minorities, gays, taxes,etc., and they think it will be some Shangri La of 1950s mentality. Who needs so many "anti" people. They trashed their state and want out, as if they will bring all goodness and light. Frankly, they often seem angry. Oregon and California, in contrast, often get left-leaning immigrants that hate conservative "red neck" types. I don't care for them either.

Now, being a university town, Logan has to have at least some non-Mormons, right? I know the faculty would likely be pretty neutral and diverse, but I do worry that my boy would be picked on if he is a little different. Is that a legitimate fear, or overblown?

Generally, we like to be around people who think for themselves. However, we do want people who support the schools, care for their neighbors and environment, and pull their own weight.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Now, being a university town, Logan has to have at least some non-Mormons, right? I know the faculty would likely be pretty neutral and diverse, but I do worry that my boy would be picked on if he is a little different. Is that a legitimate fear, or overblown?

Generally, we like to be around people who think for themselves. However, we do want people who support the schools, care for their neighbors and environment, and pull their own weight.
My experience in Logan is that it is an agricultural area with a university in the middle. Agricultural areas tend to be both conservative and conservation oriented. The university offers a lot of cultural and entertainment options that you would generally not find. And you have to count on a good number of the children in town having parents at or working for the university.

The trails and mountains in the area are among the most beautiful in the country. If I had just one week to live, it would be a toss up between Logan Canyon or Mt. Nebo Pass (near Payson, UT).

Old 08-30-2010, 09:12 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times
ugh. I just posted a longish response and I lost it all. So I apologize for my somewhat shorter response here...
I moved to Logan 3 years ago from the east coast and am a liberal non-religious person.

Logan is a beautiful place for outdoor activities. I won't say it was not an adjustment - it was. But I am starting to settle in now. and have started to make friends. I think it is a challenge to make new friends in a new place - for me, the religious conservative aspects of the town have not been the issue - its just harder to meet new people when you move some place new.

I do not have any school aged children so I can't really speak personally about what if any challenges there are to raising a non-LDS child here. My interactions with (LDS) people have run the spectrum from being just a friendly wave, to people we get together with occasional in groups, to a neighbor who told me she was not sure if she should come over and say hi because she noticed we were Sunday skiers.

It is a small town, and yes the university does offer some diversity (I would not say a LOT), but the town is still pretty uniform.

Logan does have a handful of good restaurants, which did surprise me. But still it is predominiantly filled with chain restaurants and big box stores.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
ugh. I just posted a longish response and I lost it all. So I apologize for my somewhat shorter response here...
I moved to Logan 3 years ago from the east coast and am a liberal non-religious person.

Logan is a beautiful place for outdoor activities. I won't say it was not an adjustment - it was. But I am starting to settle in now. and have started to make friends. I think it is a challenge to make new friends in a new place - for me, the religious conservative aspects of the town have not been the issue - its just harder to meet new people when you move some place new.

I do not have any school aged children so I can't really speak personally about what if any challenges there are to raising a non-LDS child here. My interactions with (LDS) people have run the spectrum from being just a friendly wave, to people we get together with occasional in groups, to a neighbor who told me she was not sure if she should come over and say hi because she noticed we were Sunday skiers.

It is a small town, and yes the university does offer some diversity (I would not say a LOT), but the town is still pretty uniform.

Logan does have a handful of good restaurants, which did surprise me. But still it is predominiantly filled with chain restaurants and big box stores.
Thanks EasternerDC!

Great summary of the town, even if your other post was eaten! My experience is that nowhere is perfect, and one must make an effort to make friends, and to just enjoy life! I am glad to hear that the outdoors is a big plus. That is a really big for us. Skiing is also very exciting, as I love being outdoors in winter.

One thing I do notice is that the Logan River runs right through town. Are there hiking or jogging trails along the river? Is it fishable? Just curious.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:55 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times
Quote:

One thing I do notice is that the Logan River runs right through town. Are there hiking or jogging trails along the river? Is it fishable? Just curious.
There is the River Trail which is on the East side of town right at the mouth of Logan Canyon. It is in total about 3-4 miles one way of wide gravel trail and some dirt single track. It is a multi-use trail, used by mountain bikers (pretty easy, mostly flat trail, but is good for families), walkers, joggers, etc. I always see fishers on the side of the trail.

There is also the River trail on the south side of town that runs along the river and the golf course on the south side of town - its about 1.5 miles one way. that trail is paved, but is quite nice as well. There is no fishing here that I have seen.

There are also plenty of places for fishing on Logan River throughout Logan canyon. There are always lots of fly-fishers I see when we are out and about in the canyon trails.

Also if you have not already read about the local ski hill - it is about a 40 minute drive up the canyon. Beaver Mountain : Home (sundays are the best days there )

Old 09-01-2010, 09:01 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, as a native Utahn, I've got to say that absolutely nothing can compare to the Oregon coast. Nothing.
You can turn that around and say that nothing can compare to the Utah San Rafael Swell, Nothing ....
So now what ?

Each place in this beautiful country has its own incredible places.
Each one incomparable to the next.

One thing for sure in Logan.
It gets rather cold in winter !
Just my opinion ...

Last edited by irman; 09-01-2010 at 09:11 PM..

Old 09-01-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The trails and mountains in the area are among the most beautiful in the country. If I had just one week to live, it would be a toss up between Logan Canyon or Mt. Nebo Pass (near Payson, UT).
Wow! Sounds nice. I went through Zion NP once, and cannot really recall seeing anything more beautiful since, and I have seen a bunch of places. I will have to but Logan Canyon and Mount Nebo on my list.

Katspur-I agree the Oregon Coast is lush and majestic. Love heading out there. I don't live on the coast, and I don't want to. Too darn cloudy and rainy for this dude! It is funny, I have been all around Oregon, and I agree it is a gorgeous state. However, I would also put Utah high on the list for sheer mind-numbing grandeur. We are lucky to live in the West!

irman-I hear you, each place has its unique spots and some are just so different that comparisons are not possible, or needed. When I was attending Humboldt State up on the N. California Coast, I would spend my summers working in the desert mountains high above Death Valley (8-10,000 feet higher-thank goodness!). Each place was stunning in its own way, and fondly remembered.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:21 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:

One thing nobody has mentioned so far is that the winters in Logan are COLD. They are a good 5 degrees colder than Salt Lake, which by itself, is already a good 10 degrees colder than the coast and valleys of western Oregon.

That might not be a problem for you. But I think I personally would dread that much cold weather. The link below shows the average temperatures. The average High/Low for January in Logan is 32/16.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?utloga
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: