U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2011, 02:37 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,801 posts, read 7,365,387 times
Reputation: 2960

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
I detect jealousy! And you should! Denver is routinely picked as one of the most desireable cities in the US to live in! How many more International skiers does Colorado get than utah? A ton more. I wonder why?

Katzpur, mind telling me what is so horrible about Denver?
Jealousy? I can work from anywhere and I checked out Denver also, SLC won hands down. Denver has an older demographic which will not do well in the coming economy, Utah has the youngest demographic of those in the family formation cycle.

Neither Denver or SLC proper make the list http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...010/index.html but my city was number 18.

Last edited by hilgi; 02-10-2011 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Addition

 
Old 02-10-2011, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,959 posts, read 22,109,113 times
Reputation: 10689
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
I detect jealousy!
Well, you're wrong. Why would I be jealous? I can name a dozen cities I absolutely love. The fact that I don't like Denver has nothing to do with jealousy.

Quote:
And you should! Denver is routinely picked as one of the most desireable cities in the US to live in!
Not for me.

Quote:
Katzpur, mind telling me what is so horrible about Denver?
You want the truth? I used to travel a lot on business, frequently spending three to five days at a time in Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas, Phoenix, and Denver. I always dreaded going to Denver, not so much because of the city itself, but because of the people. I could pretty much guarantee that I'd run into rude people in the hotels and restaurants and at the place I'd go to transact my business. That wasn't the case in any of the other cities I went to.
 
Old 02-10-2011, 04:56 PM
 
1,066 posts, read 1,697,844 times
Reputation: 801
Fair enough.
 
Old 02-10-2011, 04:57 PM
 
1,066 posts, read 1,697,844 times
Reputation: 801
Denver has one of the youngest Demo's in the Country! Sure there are a few younger cities, but overall, we are one of the Youngest and Healthiest! Of course slc is healthy as well.
 
Old 02-10-2011, 05:35 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,801 posts, read 7,365,387 times
Reputation: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Denver has one of the youngest Demo's in the Country! Sure there are a few younger cities, but overall, we are one of the Youngest and Healthiest! Of course slc is healthy as well.
It is younger than most but peak economic activity happens with families between the ages of 35-49 with kids, we have no shortage of that demo. Denver has smaller family sizes.

Plus the state government has a lot of problems compared to Utah.
 
Old 02-10-2011, 06:46 PM
 
1,066 posts, read 1,697,844 times
Reputation: 801
True.Moderator cut: rude We are in decent enough shape compared to most cities! The states doing the best for the most part are the tiny states with small budgets. ie utah, montana, the dakotas, arkansas, etc.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-10-2011 at 11:27 PM..
 
Old 02-10-2011, 07:04 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,801 posts, read 7,365,387 times
Reputation: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
True. Moderator cut: rude We are in decent enough shape compared to most cities! The states doing the best for the most part are the tiny states with small budgets. ie utah, montana, the dakotas, arkansas, etc.
What sold me is you guys have a $25 billion debt and your debt per person is almost $2,000 more person at $5,302.

You had a 1.6 billion deficit last year and over 1 billion this year. We had 28 million and a projected surplus this year.

Another problem is you guys tend to want to spend like CA, I wanted nothing to do with that again.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-10-2011 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: spelling
 
Old 02-10-2011, 07:22 PM
 
1,066 posts, read 1,697,844 times
Reputation: 801
25 billion dollar debt? Any link to that?
 
Old 02-10-2011, 07:36 PM
mlb
 
Location: North Monterey County
3,179 posts, read 2,854,709 times
Reputation: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
I detect jealousy! And you should! Denver is routinely picked as one of the most desireable cities in the US to live in! How many more International skiers does Colorado get than utah? A ton more. I wonder why?
Milehi - my husband and I made special trips to Denver and the surrounding area for at least a couple of years - over 20 years ago - before we knew we wanted to leave Los Angeles. It was between Denver and SLC.

Denver's air was putrid. Worse than the San Fernando Valley. We also didn't care for the long drive to the slopes - and no - we didn't want to live in Frisco or any of the ski resort towns - because we knew we needed to earn a decent living. Resorts are not known for paying high salaries - even here in Utah.

We also were turned off by Denver's sprawl. We came from sprawl in California - and we wanted to avoid having to get on a freeway to go anywhere.

Salt Lake was a breath of fresh air after LA - and in comparison to Denver.

I'm 3.5 miles from work - never having to travel on a freeway to get there. I'm 10 minutes from the bottom of Little Cottonwood Canyon....and another 10 to the slopes.

And yes, while my salary is lower than the national average? So are my taxes and costs of living.

I think we chose well.

BTW - what's with the obsession with "international" tourists? Ever walk through Zion National Park? Or Canyonlands? Or Bryce Canyon? More international travelers there - than Colorado can shake a stick at.

You need to get your "facts" correct. Read this:

"But there are signs that Utah is winning this battle as well, getting the message across that there is prime skiing beyond Colorado, and that Delicate Arch, the state's iconic natural formation, is actually in Utah and not Arizona. A recent Ski Journal issue reports that SkiUtah continues "to launch groundbreaking ideas that other states can only copy," giving Utah record numbers each year, while Colorado's actually shrank this season. "The real story here is SkiUtah," the journal reports. "Over the past two years, they started a popular blog that features video cut right from the resorts. They sponsored a cycling team. They found a dozen corporate sponsorships for their November Fat Flake Festival ... They do all this by putting Utah ski resorts in the news day in and day out."

Welcoming the world: Utah draws more visitors from abroad.(Business Trends) - Entrepreneur.com
 
Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,801 posts, read 7,365,387 times
Reputation: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
25 billion dollar debt? Any link to that?
Colorado state budget - Sunshine Review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top