U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:03 PM

11 posts, read 48,264 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to relocate in 2011 out of CA. There are many reasons we want to leave but just to name a few, 12.2% unemployment rate, overpriced homes, crazy expensive rent on apartments, too warm most of the year (want 4 seasons), lots of earthquakes and fires here.

We have narrowed our search down to UT and CO. I would like to take a vote from the residents of both places as to which spot would be best for us and best match what we are looking for and the kind of people we are.

The things we are looking for in a place to live are:
Job availability- not sure which state has more jobs right now. I think the unemployment rate in both states is 7 to 8 percent?
Decent/good wages- I think CO wins the vote on this one. Am I correct?
Republican/Conservative- I think UT wins that hands down. Am I correct?
Least amount of natural disaster- Maybe UT is slightly better? But both are pretty decent?
Not over populated- I think CO wins this one?
Safe area/Low Crime- Maybe UT a little more than CO?
Affordable colleges- not sure which one has more affordable colleges.
Low cost of living- I think both are good?
Affordable rent/homes- Both places seems really good compared to CA!

In UT we are considering Layton, Orem, or Riverdale. We have our reasons why we picked these 3. Out of these 3 which would you say is the best? Or the best fit for us based on what we are looking for.

In CO we are considering Aurora, Colorado Springs, Lakewood, Thorton, and Westminster. We have our reasons why we picked these 5. Out of these which one would you suggest is the best? Or the best fit for us based on what we are looking for?

You can just put your vote for one of the cities without further details or you can also include your reasons why you think the city you pick is the best. Either way we would really appreciate it. Thanks!

PS...if there is a certain city I mentioned that you think I should avoid you can add that also.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 PM

9,093 posts, read 9,189,062 times
The things we are looking for in a place to live are:
Job availability- not sure which state has more jobs right now. I think the unemployment rate in both states is 7 to 8 percent?

It is true that the unemployment rate here is in the 7% range. I strongly encourage people not to be deceived by this statistic though. I believe we have more housewives and students in Utah who simply drop out of the job market when times get tough and it makes the unemployment rate look better than it really is.

I am almost certain CO wins. Wages in Utah are low. There are very few unions in this state. Utah has a reputation as being a place that people want to move too and people will often take a pay cut just to move here. The low wage thing must be evaluated when you look at the employment picture. Yes, there maybe a few more jobs here, but you maybe surprised at how little they pay.

Republican or Conservative? Utah wins hands down right?

Yes it does. This is nothing personal. I am starting to be a little surprised at how many people are claiming this as a reason for wanting to move here. For someone who isn't "one of the annoited", I am starting to wonder why this seems so important. Yes, some of us here don't listen to Glen Beck and think Sean Hannity is a disgrace.

Least amount of natural disaster- Maybe UT is slightly better? But both are pretty decent?

Very few natural disasters here, yet. One of these days the Wasatch Fault will slip and we may have a major earthquake. No one knows if that will be tomorrow or in 100 years. It is a legitimate concern. Not sure what natural disasters might be an issue in CO.

Not so overpopulated? CO wins this one?

Colorado definitely has more people and is growing. Utah has fewer people, but a higher growth rate mostly from births rather than immigration. I guess you have to choose your poison.

We have a low violent crime rate here. I suspect considerably lower than CO. However, you might need to break it down by counties for it to mean much. I'm sure the crime rate is fairly high in metro Denver. It maybe as low as Utah's in small outlying towns.

I think Utah probably has lower tuition. However, those of use with college age kids (like me) still whine about it.[$3000 per semester]

Low cost of living- I think both are good?
Affordable rent/homes- Both places seems really good compared to CA!

I'm sure both are better than CA. The cost of living is not bad here, except for rents and home prices. Those are out-of-line when you consider incomes.

In UT we are considering Layton, Orem, or Riverdale. We have our reasons why we picked these 3. Out of these 3 which would you say is the best?

Layton or Riverdale would probably both be fine. Of course, you aren't saying anything about what you or your spouse do for work. The proximity to employment could make a big difference.

If you are not LDS (Mormon) do yourself a big favor and don't move to Orem which is in Utah County. I recently wrote an FAQ post entitled "Moving to Utah County". It should be just down the page in the posts here in the Utah forum, or at the most on Page 2. In short, you probably have better options when it comes to a place to live.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:07 PM

6,793 posts, read 7,335,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Republican or Conservative? Utah wins hands down right?

Yes it does. This is nothing personal. I am starting to be a little surprised at how many people are claiming this as a reason for wanting to move here. For someone who isn't "one of the annoited", I am starting to wonder why this seems so important. Yes, some of us here don't listen to Glen Beck and think Sean Hannity is a disgrace.
In California about 3/4 of the state spending goes to government employees or retirees, so you are either receiving payment or one of those doing the paying. If you are one of those paying you can still be a flaming liberal socially (like me) yet very fiscally conservative. (Like me)

Even though Utah tends to be socially conservative they do tend to be more live in let live (on an individual basis). Meaning you can still be a freak here if you want to be, just negotiate your way around the maze and you will be fine. At least here I am not stuck paying every ridiculous program and watching the state and local finances take a dump making it a miserable place to live.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:32 PM

10,838 posts, read 10,501,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strength&Justice View Post
Probably Utah has more potential jobs. Average wage is lower, though. However, I'm convinced that most people don't realize how little money it actually takes to live with just a little lifestyle adjustment. Get rid of the "fluff" that most think is necessity and you're suddenly able to live in many places that you hear everyone complaining about having "no work." What they really mean without even realizing is that there is no work that will support their rather "inflated" lifestyle.

Quote:
Yes, and a higher cost of living to make up for it in most urban areas. Rural or small town (with the exception of the "yuppie" art towns) areas will probably be about the same.

Quote:
Republican/Conservative- I think UT wins that hands down. Am I correct?
Yes. This is one of the few things that I can say I like about Utah. Personally I'm more of a libertarian, but I can clearly see that I am better able to maintain my desired lifestyle of individual choice and freedom under conservative philosophy rather than liberal philosophy. What I see coming out of Washington lately is simply economic slavery. Generally, Utah opposes such repression. I think that Utah is the most conservative state in the nation (right?). And although I don't agree with everything conservative, I certainly agree with their policy of individual liberty, self-determination, economic freedom, and personal responsibility. If you hold similar hopes for your future, Utah is a good place to be (hate to admit it... but it's true).

Quote:
Living on a fault in Utah. It could cause a nasty surprise at any time. But then again, a meteor could hit the earth at any time. Worrying too much about such things is counter-productive. Preparedness is wisdom.

Quote:
Not over populated- I think CO wins this one?
This is my main beef with Utah other than the too-hot summers--the Wasatch Front area is a zoo. There are way too many people for my tastes. But coming from where you are, you'll have a different perspective. If you really want to be in a non-overpopulated area in Utah, I'd suggest Vernal, Roosevelt, Price (or surrounding towns), Cedar City, Delta, or Richfield (or surrounding towns). With frugal lifestyle choices, you can live on the lower wages. Many people do... or they wouldn't be there.

Quote:
Crime rates are fairly low in all but the largest cities of Utah. On average, I'd suspect that they are lower than Colorado (although a true statistical analysis would be better than my gut feeling).

Quote:
Is there such a thing? When the lousy textbooks are running $200 a pop, I think affordable colleges are a thing of the past.

Quote:
Low cost of living- I think both are good? Affordable rent/homes- Both places seems really good compared to CA!
Don't know about Colorado, but the cost of living other than housing/land seems pretty reasonable in Utah. The property values are pathetic--being driven up by transplants with a lot of money coming in. Lately though, prices have been approaching reasonable. Also, there are good deals to be found once in a while in the smaller, more isolated towns of eastern, central, and west-central Utah (for instance, I found a building lot near Delta for $1400). Compared to California, the prices are insignificant, though. Keep in mind, you won't be making as much money to pay that big house payment.

Quote:
In UT we are considering Layton, Orem, or Riverdale. We have our reasons why we picked these 3. Out of these 3 which would you say is the best? Or the best fit for us based on what we are looking for.
Given the three, I wouldn't choose any of them. They are all too congested for me. But, as I said earlier, you'll almost certainly have a different perspective. Of the three, and having a gun held to my head, I'd take Orem... as long as I could walk everywhere I needed to go.

To clarify my perspective and as a disclaimer, I'd best mention that I've been planning a move out of Utah for a while. It's just too hectic for me. Barring a miracle, the ONLY thing that would prompt me into staying is if I found an unbelievable deal on land in the very few places I'd be willing to live in the state (all rural or small town). But I don't think that's gonna happen. I recently purchased a building lot for about $1000 in another state. That exact same lot in my city would cost at least $60,000 , not to mention the absolute asinine regulations and fees for building a home.

That said, if by some strange chance a miracle did happen... I'd take Utah over Colorado.

Last edited by ChrisC; 09-03-2010 at 04:43 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 05:33 PM

Well I do appreciate all you input. With the exception of the fact that CO seems to have higher imcomes I would say UT is a better fit. Im in college now, working to become a parlegal. My husband finished school just a year ago does computer security networking.

It would be okay to take a pay cut if we could get a home for $300,000 instead of $800,000. We want a 3 bedroom with a decent size yard. We both want to be working full time.

Its so true that when people say "I cant afford to live there" or "there are no jobs" it really means that they usually dont want to take a lower paying job or dont want to spend less money with a less expensive life style.

Before the economy crashed I used to get my hair done, get my nails done, go tanning, shopping, buy expensive make up and clothes. Because we could afford it. But now with this economy I dont do any of that. I dont dye my hair, I paint my own nails, I buy my make up at walmart, I dont eat out and rarely go to the movies. We have really learned to spend less in these last few years.

But home prices as still way too overpriced here. You get no yard and only a few bedrooms for $800,000 because you are paying for the location and warm weather. Its just not worth it! Especially with a 12.2% unemployment rate.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 09-03-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
This is my main beef with Utah other than the too-hot summers--the Wasatch Front area is a zoo. There are way too many people for my tastes. But coming from where you are, you'll have a different perspective. If you really want to be in a non-overpopulated area in Utah, I'd suggest Vernal, Roosevelt, Price (or surrounding towns), Cedar City, Delta, or Richfield (or surrounding towns). With frugal lifestyle choices, you can live on the lower wages. Many people do... or they wouldn't be there.
Being from California I laugh everytime you complain about how crowded it is here. To me it is like Green Acres.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Being from California I laugh everytime you complain about how crowded it is here. To me it is like Green Acres.
Yeah, I know...

Actually I moved here in my early teen years with my parents a long time ago from the bay area of California (San Jose/Eastridge area). At the time, it was a shock because this area truly was like Green Acres and I was used to city life. But I took to the small-town/rural life very quickly. I had a blast growing up in "Green Acres." But then some silly magazine called Orem or Provo (can't remember) the "best place to live in America" back in the early 80's. That was all it took.

When I moved here, there really were the small towns of Lehi, American Fork, Pleasant Grove, Orem, Provo, Springville, Spanish Fork, and Payson in Utah Valley. Now, you basically have one city from Ogden down to Payson--they are more like suburbs of one big city (or at least getting really close). And I won't even talk about what has happened in the Salt Lake valley. The official city I live in had a population of around 7500 when we moved here. Actually, we moved to a farm about 10 miles out of the town. Now, the city (like I said, it's not really separate any more) is at 32,000 and growing very fast--but it's really just a swallowed-up part of the 555,551 (soon to be 555,550 ) population of the Unified City of Utah Valley. So, I'm living in a "spaghetti bowl" containing half a million people and I'd rather it be the 7500 population towns of long ago. I just do not like "city life" even though I was born into it and spent a good part of my childhood in it.

I must admit though, I have become quite fond of the Price area (or rather some of the small surrounding towns) the past couple years. I've been spending a lot of time down there on weekends lately to get away from the "rat race." It reminds me a lot of the way it used to be along the Wasatch Front--although it too has grown quite a bit since my younger years (my first wife was from there, so I spent a lot of time in Price and Helper in the early 80's).

Speaking of having to laugh: I'll tell you what's funny (and wonderful)... there is almost as many people living right here in my valley in good ol' Utah than there is in the entire state that I'm planning to move to. Whoa! Now that, my friends, makes that state sound exquisitely seductive and refreshing.

Last edited by ChrisC; 09-03-2010 at 09:12 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yeah, I know...

Actually I moved here in my early teen years with my parents a long time ago from the bay area of California (San Jose/Eastridge area). At the time, it was a shock because this area truly was like Green Acres and I was used to city life. But I took to the small-town/rural life very quickly. I had a blast growing up in "Green Acres." But then some silly magazine called Orem or Provo (can't remember) the "best place to live in America" back in the early 80's. That was all it took.

When I moved here, there really were the small towns of Lehi, American Fork, Pleasant Grove, Orem, Provo, Springville, Spanish Fork, and Payson in Utah Valley. Now, you basically have one city from Ogden down to Payson--they are more like suburbs of one big city (or at least getting really close). And I won't even talk about what has happened in the Salt Lake valley. The official city I live in had a population of around 7500 when we moved here. Actually, we moved to a farm about 10 miles out of the town. Now, the city (like I said, it's not really separate any more) is at 32,000 and growing very fast--but it's really just a swallowed-up part of the 555,551 (soon to be 555,550 ) population of the Unified City of Utah Valley. So, I'm living in a "spaghetti bowl" containing half a million people and I'd rather it be the 7500 population towns of long ago. I just do not like "city life" even though I was born into it and spent a good part of my childhood in it.

I must admit though, I have become quite fond of the Price area (or rather some of the small surrounding towns) the past couple years. I've been spending a lot of time down there on weekends lately to get away from the "rat race." It reminds me a lot of the way it used to be along the Wasatch Front--although it too has grown quite a bit since my younger years (my first wife was from there, so I spent a lot of time in Price and Helper in the early 80's).

Speaking of having to laugh: I'll tell you what's funny (and wonderful)... there is almost as many people living right here in my valley in good ol' Utah than there is in the entire state that I'm planning to move to. Whoa! Now that, my friends, makes that state sound exquisitely seductive and refreshing.
Once all the kids are grown and gone (seems like in about 50 years) I'll be following you. Right now at my stage it is the happy medium.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:05 PM

CA feels really over populated. Most of the women I see in my area are driving a mini van with like 5 children. I have read UT has the highest amount of....how do I say it properly?....re-populating? So the one thing I worry about is if UT will feel crowded like CA. I work in the Paralegal field and I work a lot and I enjoy sleeping in on days off. I have this (maybe way off base) picture in my head of being woken up to tons of sreaming kids playing in the snow outside my bedroom window on a Saturday morning. Thats not based on anything real. Just since I read that UT has more children then any other state in the nation I have kind of pictured it being really packed and full of noise. When I visited I didnt find that to be the case but I was only there a few days. Im planning another trip but I cant take too much time away from work and there is never enough time to learn everything and see I everything I want to. I really like Layton. I was interested in Provo but so many people told me I wouldnt fit in because Im not mormon. Im still conservative so its not like I would be going into a strictly mormon area and throwing a gay parade or anything like that. Is layton accepting of non mormon conservative people? Will not being mormon really have an effect on finding work?? I wouldnt think it would be legal to exclude a person based on religion. Im not trying to open a can of worms on this subject. I personally get along with just about anyone. Im just wondering what the real story is. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I have this (maybe way off base) picture in my head of being woken up to tons of sreaming kids playing in the snow outside my bedroom window on a Saturday morning. Thats not based on anything real. Just since I read that UT has more children then any other state in the nation I have kind of pictured it being really packed and full of noise.
You have no idea! Of course, it varies by city and neighborhood, but I'm generally awakened on the weekends by the neighbor kids (two little girls with mouths the size of the grand canyon on one side, and a couple of kids and a dog with an over-active barking mechanism on the other) or the big tub-o-crap, battleship, seats 25, diesel pickup trucks roaring past at 105 decibels (with one imbecile sitting at the helm, of course). It is generally peaceful at about 2 am, though.

Take me home, country roads........ (John Denver, anyone?)

Oh, BTW, the "real story" is that the mormon thing is overblown if you tend to get along with everyone, don't care how others handle their religion, and don't expect everyone to embrace and celebrate every aspect of your life and philosophies. That's the way I am and I've never had a problem with it--not once in 35 years. Sounds like you are similar. You should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or