U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:04 PM

21,168 posts, read 20,791,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghungroo View Post
Two I need help on:
Sevier (The county)
Mantua (The city that you drive past in Logan canyon) - I've always heard it's like Manna-way. Confirmations? Wikipedia seems to agree.
I'm pretty sure "Sevier" is like, "We surely had a severe winter last year." Can't help you with "Mantua." Sorry.

Okay, now everybody can laugh at the native Utahn (me). When I was a little girl, my family was taking a trip through southern Utah, when we drove past a sign welcoming us to "San Juan" county. My parents told me how to correctly pronounce the words, (San Wahn) since they were Spanish in origin. Later on the trip, we passed another sign that said, "Juab" county. I was so proud of myself when I told my parents that we were not in "Wahb" county. Everytime I see "Juab," I think of that. (For those who don't know, it's pronounced "JEW-ab."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,772,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghungroo View Post
And like how we say "Moun-nnn" for Mountain. Too funny!

Some more:
Ute - Yoot
Uintah - Yoo-in-tuh
Parley's Canyon - Par-lees

Two I need help on:
Sevier (The county)
Mantua (The city that you drive past in Logan canyon) - I've always heard it's like Manna-way. Confirmations? Wikipedia seems to agree.

Thanks for providing pronunciation of "Uinta", that would have been my next query.

Wasatch:

I assume both "A's" sounding as in the word MACH regarding speed and the "CH" soft as in the word "Church". Either or both of the A's different, the CH hard rather than soft?

TimpanoGUS and Timpoonek LOL, I would have had both the "Timps" incorrect.

Adding to Ghungroo's query....

Santaquin?

Sanpete? (This also a county)

Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 PM

2,434 posts, read 5,702,090 times
Santaquin and Sanpete are just as they look, believe it or not!

Santa-quin
San-Pete

I always thought Mantua was almost like Man-chu-A..maybe?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 PM

21,168 posts, read 20,791,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Wasatch:

I assume both "A's" sounding as in the word MACH regarding speed and the "CH" soft as in the word "Church". Either or both of the A's different, the CH hard rather than soft?
Both A's are different. It's WAH-satch (with satch rhyming with match).

Quote:
TimpanoGUS and Timpoonek LOL, I would have had both the "Timps" incorrect.
Accent is on the third syllable. Tim-pan-OH-gus.

Quote:
Santaquin?
Santa (like Mr. Claus) and quin (just how it looks). Accent on first syllable. SAN-ta-quin.

Quote:
Sanpete? (This also a county)
San-PETE. (San rhymes with 'can').

Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 PM

223 posts, read 501,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Tim-pooh-neek...
????

If you said it that way I would definitely be scratchin my head!!!!

I have always heard and said it: Timp a noo' key
But perhaps I've heard and said it wrong all these years.

Mantua: Man' too uh -- said fast enough there might be a bit of a /ch/

Sevier: It is a very severe winter indeed Katzpur!

I love Wahb county !

Forstalling some others...

Monticello is not like the one in Virginia. Here it is a soft /s/: Mont' uh sello -- which rhymes with green jello.

Cache: I have plenty of CASH in my pocket.

Kanarraville: Can air' uh ville -- be sure to hold your AIRRRR out long

Escalante: es ku lan' tey -- the "lan" rhymes with "man" and not with "lawn"

Old 09-08-2010, 09:51 AM

223 posts, read 501,702 times
Ahh,,,, I was talking about Escalante this morning and said it like it rhymes with Lawn..... so now I'm disturbed...maybe it is the right way and the one rhyming with Man not?????
And then to top it off I read somewhere that those who live there leave off the end 'eee' and I'm pretty sure I've heard it that way as well...AAAHHH

Old 09-08-2010, 12:35 PM

4,962 posts, read 13,967,373 times
I've heard both Es kah lan tee and Es kah lawn tay.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:55 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,772,328 times
Thanks Katydid and Katz

Gus may very well be the way the native americans ended the name of Timpanogos, legend being the mountain looks like a sleeping Indian Maiden.

But in case translation and pronunciation became more "Americanized" over time we'll need a backup legend.

A. (Glamorous) After Swedish explorer and mountain climber Gustav Bbjornstrand and his dedicated efforts to trail mantenance and nature conservancy.

B. (Not So Glamorous) After east coast tourist "Gus" Fletcher who, standing on the edge of a precipice downhill from a baby Mountain Goat and it's protective parents shouted to his group "Hey everybody, watch me go pet the baby goat". Horrified and helpless to react or stop the inevitable, his group could only manage to utter the words "Oh Gus"..

On a more serious note:

Hurricane: So named when LDS "Twelve Apostles" Quorum member Erastus Snow had a whilwind blow off the top of his buggy and exclaimed "Well that was a Hurricane"

Tooele: Name thought to have evolved from an old Ute Indian word for Tumbleweed. Other explanations is it derived from the name of a Native American Chief, descended from "tu-wanda" the Goshute word for "Bear" or "tule" a Spanish word of Aztec origin meaning bulrush.

Nothing definitive on Timpooneke yet, will keep searching.

Last edited by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...?; 09-08-2010 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Correcting Baad Speling

Old 09-09-2010, 02:57 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,007,614 times
Mantua and Panguitch are the two that stand out.

Mantua: Man-oooo-ay
Panguitch: Pane-gwitch

Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,936,840 times
Katzpur your story about San Juan County made me homesick, you should hear how the names of places, streets, and things in New Mexico would be messed up by people, that and once in awhile you get the one person who did not think New Mexico is part of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah