Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:13 AM

242 posts, read 1,117,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Casselli's View Post
SLC is the best. I am from California. Moved to St. George 3 years ago. Big mistake! Wages are low and high cost of living anywhere in UTAH! However, as to your question, if I were you, I would move to SLC. Now as far as something more important then religion and race. Before you make the move to Utah...Did you know that there is NO state disability in Utah? Also, most employers do not provide the full package of medical benefits and it is a right to work state. Which means, the employer can terminate you without cause at anytime and no 15 min breaks or lunches. They do not have to provide vacation, sick time, medical insurance and one more thing..waiters get paid 2.15 per hour!!!! YES, IN DEED! Administration jobs start at 9.00 per hour and teachers 12.00 per hour. I would reseach the job market in SLC, I understand it just a bit higher wage but not by much. Do your homework first. Utah is a Mormon state and they decide what your worth....cheap salary.

There are several African Americans on the police force in St. George. There are others in the community as well. But it is less than a 100 for the whole city. Cedar City has more due to the University being in town. As to the BS about state disability that is crap. There is workmans comp if there is any kind of accident at work. Federal law mandates the breaks which are 15 min. If the employer is not giving them Then it needs to be taken to the federal agencies that handle it, same goes for the lunches. As to the right to work state bit, Most states are the same. In fact sweets, California is a right to work state, but it is one where the employers are more afraid. It is about time you faced facts that a few of us here know the laws and the truth. Ax grinding is not going to make it any better that you moved to a place you did not research out first. The area culture is not going to change for you. You adapt and fit in, or move to another place. You're not happy so I suggest the later.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:39 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Rabbit View Post
As to the BS about state disability that is crap. There is workmans comp if there is any kind of accident at work.
Uhm, just to be fair Blondie, I am not so sure the OP was referring to Workers Compensation. In California, there is State Disability Insurance (SDI). It is employee funded and allots some compensation for persons injured off the job. Here is the website that fully explains the program.

Disability Insurance - About the DI Program (broken link)

Old 07-18-2007, 10:56 AM

242 posts, read 1,117,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Uhm, just to be fair Blondie, I am not so sure the OP was referring to Workers Compensation. In California, there is State Disability Insurance (SDI). It is employee funded and allots some compensation for persons injured off the job. Here is the website that fully explains the program.

Disability Insurance - About the DI Program (broken link)
Sergeant, I just know that if an employer has over just a couple of employees, it is federally mandated that they have workmans comp insurance. I apologize for getting the two mixed up. I've never used disability pay in any form. Yet I'm disabled. Hubby has a great job, and we don't need my income.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:21 AM

31 posts, read 135,417 times
Default Thanks Blonde-Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Rabbit View Post
There are several African Americans on the police force in St. George. There are others in the community as well. But it is less than a 100 for the whole city. Cedar City has more due to the University being in town. As to the BS about state disability that is crap. There is workmans comp if there is any kind of accident at work. Federal law mandates the breaks which are 15 min. If the employer is not giving them Then it needs to be taken to the federal agencies that handle it, same goes for the lunches. As to the right to work state bit, Most states are the same. In fact sweets, California is a right to work state, but it is one where the employers are more afraid. It is about time you faced facts that a few of us here know the laws and the truth. Ax grinding is not going to make it any better that you moved to a place you did not research out first. The area culture is not going to change for you. You adapt and fit in, or move to another place. You're not happy so I suggest the later.
Yeah, this sounded like a bunch of crap to me! I actually worked in Orem, Utah last year (summer 06) and for what I can recall; I had all my brakes and was paid the same amount as everyone else!

Actually, when I left Utah after being here last summer to return to school to complete my degree in California, I went to apply at the same company, for the same position and was outright SHOCKED when they wanted to pay me less money then in UTAH! This is the honest truth. How is it that everything remained constant, with the only difference being a different location (STATE), that their starting wage was lower? California is way more expensive (EVERYTHING - living, gas, rent, etc) than Utah.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's honest opinions. Clueless people should not spread lies. I'm not religious or anything, but you should not spread lies or make things up!

Old 07-20-2007, 11:25 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrprinze View Post
California is way more expensive (EVERYTHING - living, gas, rent, etc) than Utah.
Thank goodness. I thought I was losing my mind. My old California paycheck goes much further in Utah than it did in California, so I thought I was forgetting to pay a bill or something.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:39 AM

7 posts, read 32,241 times
I lived in SLC, originally from CA. In the city, I did witness a racist conversation that made me want to puke. But..... I lived in and socialized with the ski-bum folks. They are from all over the world and I had the best time of my life living there. I love Utah. Work in the outdoors field (Snowbird) and you will find yourself loving it, everyone is very nice. The one incident I experienced were these older country-living people who are a waste of space anyways.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,834 times
Default haha... you'll be fine

I am a filipino., and felt the same way. but now that I live here (just moved from cali about a month ago) i do love it.
are there racist people? i am sure there are... but i have never come across and issue. and i have no desire or plans to hang out in the sticks... so i think it will be cool.
and up near SLC, it is more diverse.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:52 AM

31 posts, read 135,417 times
Thumbs up Hahaha!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Thank goodness. I thought I was losing my mind. My old California paycheck goes much further in Utah than it did in California, so I thought I was forgetting to pay a bill or something.

Great Sense of Humor!

Old 07-31-2007, 01:37 AM

396 posts, read 1,276,095 times
A few of my friends tried to spread BS to this black guy we met about how Mormons are racist. Don't believe any of it. If anyone tells you that Mormons are racist, it's a load of crap. Society here can be very splintered into Mormon and non-Mormon groups. Many of the non-Mormons carry contempt and sometimes ignorance for the Mormons. I'm not Mormon myself, but I got extremely pissed when they told this guy that. The very ocassional person in Utah is certainly racist, but it's really no different than anywhere else, and I've never seen anything to suggest it's more prevalent than normal.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:30 AM

2 posts, read 32,104 times
Default ?

well u can very well figure that if u look for racism u can find it, doesn't matter where u live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah