Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 03:45 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times

Advertisements

Is Weber State University a good school at all? What is it's reputation like. I see it has open admissions, but I have heard from people its one of the best in Utah. What do you think about it and would you recommend it for an out of state person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:16 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,092 times
I went through part of the campus last year and honestly, it felt like a big high school.

There aren't many universities/colleges in Utah, you have to keep in mind. Let's think:

U of U
BYU
USU
UVU
Westminster
Dixie State
SUU
Snow
SLCC

I think at least five of those are solidly superior to Weber State...

Old 09-17-2010, 06:24 AM

427 posts, read 1,304,664 times
It's a decent regional university. Depends on what you're going into. The nursing and dental hygiene programs are two I see people go to WSU for. Still, you could go to U of U or USU for around the same price yet more prestige.

I'd put U of U, BYU, and USU above it. With UVU (talk about a big high school), SUU, and Westminister in the same category. Here's the recent U.S News rankings for Utah regional schools:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...kings/state+UT

Old 09-17-2010, 09:17 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,913 times
All the people I know who have gone there love it and they all seem to have good jobs now (IT, accounting, nursing).

I am sure its just a commuter school, so probably not much of a social factor involved there, but I think its a decent school. Just because it might look like a HS campus doesn't mean it isn't a good place to learn.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:42 AM

224 posts, read 639,837 times
One of the best? Well it isn't hard to be one of the best when there aren't that many. I think that list Lamborgotti had was it as far as options.

My bias against it has alot to do with the fact that I went to the U and anything else really was not as good.

I have nephews and nieces who go there and seem to like it. I put it on the same level as UVU... just the northern counterpart.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:58 AM

25,688 posts, read 18,773,845 times
It's accredited. The piece of paper that is awarded says the same thing all the rest do--just a different name for the school. Learning is primarily your job, anyway. One advantage it might have over the larger "research universities" is that smaller schools tend to hire teachers, rather than researchers who moonlight as teachers. The worst college professors I've had were the most brilliant researchers. It's just that they couldn't teach to save their lives.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:25 PM

23 posts, read 84,476 times
I know people who go to U of U, USU, and Weber State. Out all three colleges I'd choose either U of U or Weber State. USU is an agricultural college. My friends who go to Weber really really like it. They have good criminal justice classes and their cost is really low. For the price of the school I'd say it's definitely one of the best. However, if you didn't choose Weber I'd choose U of U.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:04 AM

427 posts, read 1,304,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavish View Post
I know people who go to U of U, USU, and Weber State. Out all three colleges I'd choose either U of U or Weber State. USU is an agricultural college. My friends who go to Weber really really like it. They have good criminal justice classes and their cost is really low. For the price of the school I'd say it's definitely one of the best. However, if you didn't choose Weber I'd choose U of U.
USU used to be an agriculture college like 50 years ago. It's moved well beyond that with strong programs in business, engineering (e.g Space Dynamics Lab, NASA), and education. It was recently rated the 92nd best public university in America by U.S News & World. Weber State wasn't on that list as it was in the 'regional' tier of schools and ranked below Westminister, a small college in Salt Lake City. USU's endowment is 3x's larger than WSU's.

The More You Know ★ Utah State University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-06-2010, 01:09 PM

146 posts, read 495,669 times
Radical Car,
What do you plan on studying?
I would rank the Utah public schools in this order, based on a quality liberal arts education:
1. SUU-Look into it, it's fantastic
2. U of U
3. USU
4. UVU-Has come a long way
5. Weber

Not that ranking matters, what matters most is where you are the most comfortable and can grow the most.

Weber is a fine school, nothing wrong with it. It actually caters to students needs better than the U of U in a lot of ways.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:14 PM

226 posts, read 567,296 times
Weber State is a well respected and established university with a long history. It's smaller than other Utah universities but that can be really good. I know a young man who goes there and likes it, but it really depends on what you are interested in studying. Open admission colleges and universities are hardly ever highly ranked. It's kind of an elitist thing in my opinion and I agree that some of the best researchers who are on the faculties of selective universities are the absolute WORST instructors. Having a bachelor's degree is far more important than the status or ranking of the university that granted it. I mean honestly, would anybody in Utah be able to say whether or not the University of Texas-Brownsville or Wilmington University in Delaware were open admissions schools? (They are.) If you graduated from one of them and came to Utah looking for a job, nobody would think twice about seeing either of those schools on your application. Most employers only care that you have a college degree. How you got in is much less important than the fact that you succeeded when you were there and achieved the goal of a college degree. I know a doctor who dropped out of high school, got his GED, got his associate's degree from an open enrollment college and then transferred to the University of Utah where he was eventually accepted into medical school, graduated at the top of his class and is now a highly respected physician. Very few people know that he started out as a high school dropout. He just figured out really early that he was getting nothing out of his small town high school experience and decided he had better things to do with his time. He never looked back and never regretted his decisions. More importantly, that open enrollment college was his first step and it served him very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: