U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 04:25 PM

129 posts, read 334,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiarescue View Post
- let us all live in peace.
AMEN!

P.S. (on being approached by the "Mormons" regarding their beliefs) try to look at it like this: they/we believe we have something of great value, a true treasure, and we are trying to share that with others. Sometimes we are heavy-handed, or not as sensitive as we might be in our efforts to share what is dear to us, but just remember, you are always free to say, "thanks, but no thanks." And if you lose a friend by doing so, you never had a friend to begin with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 06:40 PM

305 posts, read 671,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Well if you lived in Idaho Falls back then (I don't know how old you are), you most certainly lived in an environment that was as heavily LDS as southern Utah is today. Southeastern Idaho, even today is 50-60 percent LDS, and Cedar city today is 60 percent LDS.

So reflect back on your experience -- was it as full of discrimination back then as you fear Cedar City is today?
I am 60. Idaho Falls was a very rough place. The schools routinely had gangs, and that would try to extort money or else they'd beat you up. Our LDS friends said it got worse after we left. My mom was very unhappy there and has refused to tell me why except to say "the people were strange". Maybe I should tell her I'm moving back there to see what she says.

Many of the kids were in some kind of an organized club, which taught them boxing and other things. This is where the gangs were formed. Various of them would try to get in a fight with me, and a couple of times did. They'd want to go away from the school to have "privacy", i.e. if you won the rest of them would beat you up. A friend of mine was almost killed by them just walking home from school. In class when I was sitting at my desk before class, one of them, usually the most brawny in the class would come up behind me and whap me hard in my arm, tell me to shut up and then invite me to fight after school.

The teachers were hardly any better. The math teacher in 8th grade had a paddle the size of my leg, that he often used on the 11 year olds, probably giving them a limp for the rest of their lives. He used it on me once and I'm sure it damaged my hip. I don't remember what it was for but all I was trying to do in those days was survive. Anyway thank goodness I don't have to go to school any more! It would not be good to try and compare Cedar City with IF but hopefully things have advanced.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:43 PM

305 posts, read 671,048 times
LlasaLost,
Yes it is nice to look at the merits of people. I'm glad we are able to talk about these things, as the truth comes out, and any misinformation is exposed. Thanks much for your comments.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:24 AM

6 posts, read 9,206 times
In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints like any church has its good people and its bad people. Just because we strive to do everything good and right doesnt mean we do, we arent perfect but I feel most of us are trying very hard every day to improve ourselves.

I am sorry that you arent having a easy time getting you or your child involved with the people where you live. I just want to point out that because of that area is like that not every area is. I have non-members who are my neighbors and I feel I try to be friendly with everyone. To be honest my life consists of mostly church related activitys (mostly because I live in the country) like play groups with my young kids, relief society activities, elders quorum parties etc. I have actually tried to invite the non-members to participate but I dont want to be pushy and have them feel akward and uncomfortable.

I honestly wonder if maybe you have done something that you arent aware of. Have you been watching what some LDS families would consider inappropraite? Such as simpsons, family guy... well there are a number of things. Have you said foul words in front of someones child? Have you been drinking or smoking in the presence of someone else? We take those things quite seriously, I dont mind anyone doing them but I dont want to be around it or have my children around it.

I also wonder if you could make more of an effort aswell. When I moved into my ward there were 'clicks' even though I was LDS I still needed to get involved on my own and get involved in activities. You really have to get involved. A lady in my ward who is not LDS has accepted visiting teachers and has said even though shes not a member she would love to help do service projects. The LDS church has so many great activities to help strengthen the individual and the family. You don't have to be LDS to participate, in fact I think they would love you to. Now they may try and convert you but thats only because we feel so strongly about what we believe.

I really think you should maybe talk to someone and ask if there is any reason why you feel they dont want your son included, maybe its a simple misunderstanding, maybe something happended that you are completly unaware of or maybe the parents didnt even know their children were being like that. There are so many possibilitys and it does nobody any good to sit around guessing at the problem.

The LDS church has struggled a lot in being accepted. We were kicked out of many places because of our faith , we know what it feels like to be the outsiders. Outside of Utah there are many who are the minority, many people dont include them because we can be 'weird' to some people. This can go both ways and it does, its everywhere. Religion, race, anything!

I honestly feel I respect all people, maybe its because I have 2 brothers who arent members but I hope this situation gets better for you.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:49 AM

113 posts, read 154,895 times
I cant tell you how up setting that is to hear about your children getting hit by rocks and excluded from activities , I can almost see there hurt little faces (even though i dont know them) but that wouldnt happen in my house not even for a minute my daughters have brought friends to church and they and there familys werent members .

My thinking was not that we were mormons but that we could invite them and if they wanted to go they might enjoy interacting with the youth and maybe feeling the spirit in the air. but the parents had to know where they were going and what church we attend .

I never had a complaint, my girls friends are all non LDS and there friends know where they attend church. We live in the land of Baptist, Lutherans and catholics. we'er the minority here but we do kind of stay to ourselves too (my husband and myself anyway) but we dont hang out with other mormons either.

I dont know why maybe its feeling full-filled already, the church teaches family, with all the things you do with your kids , family home evening, reading scripture, young womens and scouts, priesthood meetings, relief SS meetings, home teaching, thats just being a member thats not to mention a calling within the church .

It might seem like alot to some people to be that ingrained in the church but it is a way of life for most LDS members. It does keep you in tune with the spirit and close to our father in heaven. it may not be for everyone.

But to exclude children is unexceptible. Sorry

Old 10-31-2008, 04:51 PM

43 posts, read 90,452 times
I'm a Catholic from London, England and I wish to go somewhere religious and conservative (basically the opposite of London). I've been reading about UT and was impressed by accounts of friendliness and hospitality, however not at the exclusion of non-LDS members. Would you guys recommend somewhere else instead for a non-LDS? Or is the exclusion experienced here a rarity? I've been looking at the suburbs of Birmingham, AL as well as Alabama is apparently a very friendly place. Many thanks.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:33 PM

11,334 posts, read 7,455,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskoyle View Post
I would just like to say when I was growing up in Alabama as the only Mormons in town we were treated abominably. I'm talking actively preached against (by name) from the local pulpit. This gave me a distrust of Baptists. My husband and I will soon be moving to Brigham City and I have to admit I'm a little concerned about the Southern Mormon vs. the Utah Mormon. I don't really have a point other then to say don't judge a world wide religion based on the people in your neighborhood. I have met the occasional Baptist with a heart.
By the way...Does anyone have any info on the Brigham City area? Schools, houses, etc? Thanks!

Years ago while camping at the Grand Canyon, we had a "neighbor" from Texas, who assumed we were Mormon because of our tags. The first night I heard him say (obviously on purpose) something about the "rude Utah Mormons". The next morning I woke up to him SHOUTING his a.m. bible reading towards our tent. I guess in an attempt to "convert" my family. This happened again, later that night, and again the next morning. It was obvious that he was an evangelical that despised Mormons.

Of course, our family laughed hysterically, since my wife is a self confessed "Bad Catholic" and I'm pretty much anti-organized religion of any kind.

Anywho...

Old 11-03-2008, 06:56 PM

550 posts, read 1,263,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan1990 View Post
I'm a Catholic from London, England and I wish to go somewhere religious and conservative (basically the opposite of London). I've been reading about UT and was impressed by accounts of friendliness and hospitality, however not at the exclusion of non-LDS members. Would you guys recommend somewhere else instead for a non-LDS? Or is the exclusion experienced here a rarity? I've been looking at the suburbs of Birmingham, AL as well as Alabama is apparently a very friendly place. Many thanks.
I'm not LDS and have never been excluded. There you go

Old 11-03-2008, 08:25 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,484,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
I'm not LDS and have never been excluded. There you go

Me too and me neither!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:50 PM

43 posts, read 90,452 times
well this is a really weird topic because of differing accounts of how non-LDS are treated. i guess there's no better way of finding out than experiencing the place for real...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah