U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:58 AM

10,851 posts, read 10,526,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I'm partial to Hobble Creek Canyon. I went camping there soooooooooo many times as a kid

I took a week off work and drove 11 hours last year just to go camping there again!
I haven't really camped there, but I jog up there almost every day along the walking/biking path (except in the winter when the snow is too deep). It's a beautiful place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 01:57 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,425,248 times
I haven't done much camping in Utah (yet), though I did enjoy Gooseberry campground (near Salina) when I camped there. It was a beautiful setting, and quite peaceful when I was there. My daughter liked camping there, too.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 943 times
Maybe someone here can help me ............. I am looking for a campsite (preferrably northern utah-ish) that has lake side camp spots, I have Jet skiis and do not want to pull them from the water everynight (or pay for a boat slip) I am trying to surprise my husband with a big trip the first part of August and he is the know all in our house when it comes to camping. I personally dont care for it. But that aside I want it to be a nice lakesite site, not to desolate and hopefully some shade and grass. We will be tenting it...in a very large tent and have dogs. Thanks for your help all!

Old 06-19-2015, 10:50 AM

5,318 posts, read 10,999,419 times
Almost anywhere for me, but ...
I see motor homes, I am out of there !

Old 06-19-2015, 03:23 PM

21,867 posts, read 21,991,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmalires0131 View Post
Maybe someone here can help me ............. I am looking for a campsite (preferrably northern utah-ish) that has lake side camp spots, I have Jet skiis and do not want to pull them from the water everynight (or pay for a boat slip) I am trying to surprise my husband with a big trip the first part of August and he is the know all in our house when it comes to camping. I personally dont care for it. But that aside I want it to be a nice lakesite site, not to desolate and hopefully some shade and grass. We will be tenting it...in a very large tent and have dogs. Thanks for your help all!
Stop by the Salt Lake City Visitors Bureau at 90 South West Temple in downtown Salt Lake City. Ask Bill, Gil or Don your question and you'll get some in-depth, accurate information.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:46 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,254,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmalires0131 View Post

Antelope Flat campground, Ashley NF, on Flaming Gorge Reservoir...
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/an...O&parkId=70082

Cedar Springs Ashley NF, near the Flaming Gorge reservoir.
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/ce...O&parkId=70084

Two I know of for UT. Might be more; probably is!

Old 06-19-2015, 08:08 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,254,084 times
How about some great places to camp that are NOT in campgrounds?
Near Moab; thousands of acres to camp in dispersed sites. Be by yourself, no problem with screaming kids or barking dogs; unless they are your own. Just stop in the BLM and FS office and ask. BLM has free maps, in fact they have one on their website...
Dispersed Camping

Or better yet, really get away from it, and get live with the coyotes (not that there aren't coyotes about everywhere in S. Utah just make sure to bring in the small dogs at night)

There are hundreds of places you can disperse camp and if you like, there is even an organized campground. Just head west out of Green River, to Buckhorn Draw Road, Road 332, exit 131. Places all over and after about 10 miles of decent dirt road, and before crossing the San Rafael river, there is an organized BLM campground on the right (based out of the Price BLM office). Continue on the road an you enter the canyon and still more places to pull over and camp for FREE!

As mentioned by the OP, be careful; there is NO cell phone service in this area. I'm single and retired and I travel to these areas all the time with my dogs; however, I also travel with a Personal Locator Beacon that I can flip the antenna and hit the button and the satellite signal ends up in the AFB in FL, who then contacts the local emergency crew with my GPS location.

Unlike a SPOT that requires a satellite phone signal and won't work real well in canyons, this one signals an Air Force satellite on a frequency that will, 99% of the time, allow the signal to be received. (I also had a spot for the convenience of allowing people to track me; didn't work in canyons.) Might also add, the PBL's have a one time cost, registration with NOAA, and from then on it is FREE; not yearly subscription required.

Either way, if traveling alone, take something along as well as tons of water, food and maybe some personal protection.

San Rafael Swell; west of Green River, north of I70...
NOTE: THESE ARE MY PHOTOS FROM MY PHOTOBUCKET ACCOUNT!!!!

My trailer and pickup off in the distance. No one near me for a week!

Closeup of trailer; modified with a lift, larger tires, springs, and dual propane and batteries for dispersed camping....

Down the road a bit....
What they call the Grand Canyon of the Swell...yea, they exaggerate a bit

And this is just a start...people often forget about Capital Reef...well they have two fantastic campgrounds; one is Cedar Mesa, south on Notom-Bullfrog road, off Hwy 24, and the best is Cathedral Valley campground off the Hartnet road or the Cainville wash road, north off Hwy 24; this required a high clearance vehicle and one that is capable of crossing a river if coming in via Hartnet road. Got to the Capital reef website, download the map and you will find them.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:29 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,116,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
For me...any place with a hotel. No kidding.
Sounds great to me Awesome post, kaytidid

MSR

Old 06-22-2015, 01:24 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,116,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
How about some great places to camp that are NOT in campgrounds?
Near Moab; thousands of acres to camp in dispersed sites. Be by yourself, no problem with screaming kids or barking dogs; unless they are your own. Just stop in the BLM and FS office and ask. BLM has free maps, in fact they have one on their website...
Dispersed Camping

Or better yet, really get away from it, and get live with the coyotes (not that there aren't coyotes about everywhere in S. Utah just make sure to bring in the small dogs at night)

There are hundreds of places you can disperse camp and if you like, there is even an organized campground. Just head west out of Green River, to Buckhorn Draw Road, Road 332, exit 131. Places all over and after about 10 miles of decent dirt road, and before crossing the San Rafael river, there is an organized BLM campground on the right (based out of the Price BLM office). Continue on the road an you enter the canyon and still more places to pull over and camp for FREE!

As mentioned by the OP, be careful; there is NO cell phone service in this area. I'm single and retired and I travel to these areas all the time with my dogs; however, I also travel with a Personal Locator Beacon that I can flip the antenna and hit the button and the satellite signal ends up in the AFB in FL, who then contacts the local emergency crew with my GPS location.

Unlike a SPOT that requires a satellite phone signal and won't work real well in canyons, this one signals an Air Force satellite on a frequency that will, 99% of the time, allow the signal to be received. (I also had a spot for the convenience of allowing people to track me; didn't work in canyons.) Might also add, the PBL's have a one time cost, registration with NOAA, and from then on it is FREE; not yearly subscription required.

Either way, if traveling alone, take something along as well as tons of water, food and maybe some personal protection.

San Rafael Swell; west of Green River, north of I70...
NOTE: THESE ARE MY PHOTOS FROM MY PHOTOBUCKET ACCOUNT!!!!

My trailer and pickup off in the distance. No one near me for a week!

Closeup of trailer; modified with a lift, larger tires, springs, and dual propane and batteries for dispersed camping....

Down the road a bit....
What they call the Grand Canyon of the Swell...yea, they exaggerate a bit

And this is just a start...people often forget about Capital Reef...well they have two fantastic campgrounds; one is Cedar Mesa, south on Notom-Bullfrog road, off Hwy 24, and the best is Cathedral Valley campground off the Hartnet road or the Cainville wash road, north off Hwy 24; this required a high clearance vehicle and one that is capable of crossing a river if coming in via Hartnet road. Got to the Capital reef website, download the map and you will find them.
Really spectacular pics f5. These are areas not seen as often as other better known areas.

I have a few questions from what you shared with all of us f5. We want people to be safe and have what they need when they camp. Many are first or second time campers. It is a reality that people can get lost, albeit inadvertently. You suggested extra water and supplies. Is there a general rule about 1. How much water does a person drink in the southern camping areas? I would guess more than in some of the cooler camping areas mentioned. 2. Is there a good website for beginning campers to utilize that suggests the supplies one absolutely needs for camping? Probably all the camp trailer businesses, or REI, Cabela's or sporting goods stores that stock a lot of camping supplies have lists, but I suspect a retail generated list has a lot of supplies that only that specific store can sell to customers. I know almost every item on a basic list can be purchased cheaper if a person who wants to go camping buys supplies at other stores.

Also, you mention camping with your dogs. Just a reminder to all, canine water has to be added to the amount of water a human will consume. Some may wonder if it is safe to leave any dog outside? I think you were serious about bringing small dogs in, but others may not know if that was a joke or not.

Your advice about being prepared with personal protection could be interpreted more than one way. I don't think you meant weapons, but I should probably ask to be certain. You may mean having a rain poncho per chance it rains. I'd say take two rain ponchos as I know someone who had another camper wander into his camp and leave with his water resistant rain poncho.

Finally, maybe the personal protection you mention may suggest one is expecting another person at some point, or being alone isn't as alone as some would think.........meaning perhaps one meets another camper and more intimate plans might be made. One has to wonder if there are showers or clean lakes somewhere, depending how many days one has been away from a shower

Thanks for all the good tips if someone is camping alone and in general

MSR

Old 06-22-2015, 08:01 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,771,747 times
I think he meant a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or