Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 PM

901 posts, read 2,386,239 times

Advertisements

I guess I can infer that cold, snowy Utah Winters are kinda rare...? I never would have suspected that. I thought Salt Lake was cold and snowy each Winter. Or are you talking about southern Utah?

I wish I would have gotten nailed by that midwest blizzard...and I live in the midwest. Passed me right up and dumped freezing rain instead. I'd rather have 2 feet of snow. I guess I'm another one of those rare winter-lovers. I think it's odd that some places in the south have seen larger snow storms than I have this winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 03:39 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
I guess I can infer that cold, snowy Utah Winters are kinda rare...? I never would have suspected that. I thought Salt Lake was cold and snowy each Winter. Or are you talking about southern Utah?

I wish I would have gotten nailed by that midwest blizzard...and I live in the midwest. Passed me right up and dumped freezing rain instead. I'd rather have 2 feet of snow. I guess I'm another one of those rare winter-lovers. I think it's odd that some places in the south have seen larger snow storms than I have this winter.
You and ChrisC are those crazy winter lovers! Yes, Salt Lake usually does have cold, snowy winters. That doesn't mean all of us are happy about that, however

Southern Utah (St. George area) does not usually get much in the way of snow, nor very cold temps.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:05 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Not that I like any sort of hot weather, but, one thing that will make high heat in southern Utah more tolerable than where you live is the much lower humidity in Utah. That helps more than most people realize. The heat still stinks... but it stinks a little less.
I totally agree.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:01 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
I guess I can infer that cold, snowy Utah Winters are kinda rare...? I never would have suspected that. I thought Salt Lake was cold and snowy each Winter.
Salt Lake City is the third snowiest city in the U.S. Southern Utah (with the exception of Cedar City) gets considerably less snow than Northern Utah does.

Quote:
Like I said, we do get lots of snow, and this year has been a really cold one. We don't get freezing rain, though, and our low humidity helps not only in the summer but in the winter as well.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:48 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Salt Lake City is the third snowiest city in the U.S. ...
I am guessing after the last 2 years worth of snow, that several cities in the midwest and east will make SLC's outdated ranking plummet.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
I am guessing after the last 2 years worth of snow, that several cities in the midwest and east will make SLC's outdated ranking plummet.
LOL! Well, that wouldn't bother me any. Unfortunately, rankings of this sort take into account average snowfall over far greater periods of time than just two years.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:17 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
LOL! Well, that wouldn't bother me any. Unfortunately, rankings of this sort take into account average snowfall over far greater periods of time than just two years.
I wonder if there is a way to account for accumulation of snow. It seems like snow on the ground does not last long here. I wonder if our total numbers are high but another city that gets fewer inches may have it stick on the ground longer?

Old 02-03-2011, 04:24 PM

I lived in the Northeast for 20 years and I (in my 3 years here) haven't seen anything like the snow we had growing up. And that isn't counting the record-breaking numbers in the last few years. I wonder if the numbers for SLC are padded by the mountain accumulations (which aren't even in the city)?

Old 02-03-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
I lived in the Northeast for 20 years and I (in my 3 years here) haven't seen anything like the snow we had growing up. And that isn't counting the record-breaking numbers in the last few years. I wonder if the numbers for SLC are padded by the mountain accumulations (which aren't even in the city)?
According to Forbes, which published the information, it's based on historical data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Top 5 Snowiest U.S. Cities:

1. Denver- 60.3"
2. Cleveland- 59.3"
3. Salt Lake City- 58.5"
4. Minneapolis-St. Paul- 49.9"
5. Milwaukee- 47.3"

The Utah Mountains get more on the order of 500 inches annually.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:19 AM

Interesting because I just found this list, published by the Daily Beast (?) based on data from the National Climatic Data Center and Farmers Almanac. It said this was the top 5:

#1, Syracuse, New York
Average yearly snowfall: 103.1 inches

#2, Rochester, New York
Average yearly snowfall: 88.3 inches

#3, Buffalo, New York
Average yearly snowfall: 85.7 inches

#4, Duluth, Minnesota
Average yearly snowfall: 82.6 inches

#5, Flagstaff, Arizona
Average yearly snowfall: 81.1 inches

And here is Utah
#13, Salt Lake City, Utah
Average yearly snowfall: 60.9 inches

Denver was #20 on their list.

Also, here is another list on USA Today, USATODAY.com - Answers: 10 snowiest 'cities' aren't all in New York

Colorado and Utah aren't even on that list!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah