Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 01:56 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,695,325 times

Advertisements

I just saw an opportunity in Ogden. I asked about Logan a few month back, and it sounded great. How do they compare?

Us: Liberal, but low key outdoorsy types with a 7 year old and two high energy dogs we need to take out just about everyday. We love hiking, trail running, winter sports. Not too crazy about sustained, super cold weather, but we can muddle along. Having winter is better than none, so long as it does not go on forever. Love summer thunderstorms. We like taking the kid to museums, national parks,etc. Love visiting the city, but never want to live there. Wife would need a job.

What I know: Downtown Odgen has some blight, white flight, and crime. Nowhere in Utah pays much for public schools. And we are not private schoolers or home schooler. Both towns are heavily Mormon. Don't want the kid picked on because we are not very religious. Beyond that I don't know much. South Odgen looks pretty nice. Don't know about N. Odgen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 07:19 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,344,208 times
In my personal opinion... Ogden is one of the yuckiest places in Utah. That being said, it's still nicer than a lot of places across the country.

I love Logan, I'd take it any day of the week over Ogden. I stopped going to church when I was 18, my husband is not LDS. We have a 5 year old and we moved from Logan when she was 3. We didn't really have a problem with LDS members, but then again we don't drink or smoke and we are VERY outdoorsy. Logan's crime rate is pretty low and it's got a lot of the things that larger areas in Utah have but it retains the feel of a small town.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
In my personal opinion... Ogden is one of the yuckiest places in Utah. That being said, it's still nicer than a lot of places across the country.

I love Logan, I'd take it any day of the week over Ogden. I stopped going to church when I was 18, my husband is not LDS. We have a 5 year old and we moved from Logan when she was 3. We didn't really have a problem with LDS members, but then again we don't drink or smoke and we are VERY outdoorsy. Logan's crime rate is pretty low and it's got a lot of the things that larger areas in Utah have but it retains the feel of a small town.

Thanks for the response Lisan23,

Please elaborate on Ogden. I don't have any prospects in Logan at the moment. I know it is nice except for the inversions.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM

226 posts, read 564,725 times
Logan and Ogden are quite different. Ogden is historically a railway town so it's much more 'industrial' in feel than Logan. Ogden has a population of about 80,000 people, and Logan's population is about 50,000. Ogden has more racial diversity but still is at least 75% Anglo. Logan is more like 90% Anglo. Both cities have a median income of about $35K/year but Logan has more people with higher education than Ogden. Logan has much more of a small town feel than Logan. Ogden just feels like another city to me. I don't think you'd really feel like you were in an outdoor friendly place there.

As far as climate goes, northern Utah is just flippin' cold all winter. The average high is about 35ºF and it can start snowing as early as late October and keep snowing until late April. Logan has worse inversions I think, but it's in a much prettier setting than Ogden so overall I think it would be more to your liking. Logan's about an hour commute to Ogden - but it is through some lovely country - if you don't mind snow.

Don't forget that there are quite a few smaller towns in between Ogden and Logan so even if you didn't want to live in Ogden, or commute from Logan to Ogden, you should look at some of the other towns. I have cousins who live in Brigham City and they like it so much that one of them is willing to commute 3 hrs. a day just so his family can stay in Brigham City. There are also towns south of Ogden that are really nice, like Farmington, for example.

We have long conversations on this forum about Mormon vs. non-Mormon. The general consensus of the advisors on this forum is that if you come here expecting to have a negative experience and are hypersensitive to any religious expression, you'll find it. But if you come here expecting to be friendly and neighborly, that's what you'll find. Check out the post on this forum called "The Lowdown on Us Mormons".

Old 01-28-2011, 11:24 AM

14,300 posts, read 14,088,313 times
Not Lisan here, but I grew up in the Ogden area and work there presently.

There is much I could write about Ogden. Here are the main points.

1. Fifty years ago, Ogden was a vibrant city with busy shops lining Washington Boulevard (Main Street). Today, there are only a few businesses open. There are plenty of vacant buildings, buildings occupied by very marginal businesses, open spaces where buildings used to be, and government buildings. At some point, revitalization may actually occur, but decades of work will be required.

2. The economy in the area was primarily driven by the railroad. When this declined in the sixties, the city declined with it.

3. The crime rate is relatively high compared to other Utah cities.

4. There is a large population of people in the inner city subsisting on minimal income whether that be from pensions, social security, or government assistance. These people have very little money to put into home maintenance or restoration. I suspect a large number may also be disabled. Unfortunately, I think a major reason many choose to live in inner city Ogden is because it has a reputation as being a place where you can get a cheap home or apartment to rent.

5. The school system is not good.

6. On the other hand, the area surrounding Ogden (South Ogden, North Ogden, Roy, Riverdale, Pleasant View, Farr West, and Plain City) is all reasonably nice. If you live in the area, I would strongly suggest one of these communities for your home.

7. Some claim Ogden is making a "come-back". To be fair, any number of things have been done. There is a new mall downtown that is slowly taking shape that is worth visiting with restaurants, a children's museum, a Gold's Gymn, and a lot of new apartments for rent. The city is actually surrounded by many hiking trails that run through beautiful areas. There is even a kayak park in West Ogden.

8. The location of Ogden is a good one. You are located close to Ogden Canyon with three ski resorts. During the summer months, Pineview Reservoir offers boating and other recreation. Also, Ogden is only about 35 miles north of Salt Lake.

9. Weber University is a decent institution, very attractively laid out, in the foothills east of town. It offers degrees in education, social work, music, police science, and technology. It is not on the same footing though with either the University of Utah or Utah State University. As such, I have discouraged my kids from choosing Weber for their degree.

10. I think its unfair to call Ogden the "yuckiest" place in Utah. I won't name other places out of respect for others here. I will say that if I were starting out with a family, I'd probably pick another city to live in than Ogden. All in all, Ogden is quite a mixed bag. I will also say that due to some heroic efforts to arrest its decline that revitalization is slowly occurring. Its just not happening quick enough.

Anyway, that's what I think. There are far, far worse places in this country (and state) to live. Its just not my cup of tea.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 PM

Thanks for all the detailed and thoughtful posts! I wish I could see Ogden sometime. It looks like there are some excellent places nearby, but also some divey areas. Would have to snoop around to get a complete impression.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:03 AM

323 posts, read 956,818 times
If your opportunity is in Ogden and you are not averse to a 20 minute commute, head through the canyon and take a look at the Ogden Valley (Huntsville/Eden/Liberty). The beauty is unrivaled.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
If your opportunity is in Ogden and you are not averse to a 20 minute commute, head through the canyon and take a look at the Ogden Valley (Huntsville/Eden/Liberty). The beauty is unrivaled.
Thanks Altajoe! I'll look into it.

FH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah