U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 16,206 times

Advertisements

You won't find any towns in Utah with out Mormons (LDS). Life in small towns can be especially challenging and isolating. I have lived her for 60 years, a non-mormon. Your LDS neighbors won't befriend you because if you are worth knowing they will meet you in the "ward". If not, you aren't worth bothering with.

You say you want a quiet life style and don't want people knocking on your doors...they may knock (the missionaries) but they will be respectful when you say that you are not interested.

If your family has it's own religion and traditions, I think it is easier to raise children in Utah. If not, they may feel left out when the majority of their friends are involved in church activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 11:24 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,453,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegwy View Post
Your LDS neighbors won't befriend you because if you are worth knowing they will meet you in the "ward". If not, you aren't worth bothering with.
Interesting characterization, but it does explain why none of my old California neighbors befriended me in the 54 years I lived there; I wasn’t worth knowing. I guess they were Mormons as well. Funny, though, I never saw any of them at Sacrament Meeting.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,558,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegwy View Post
Your LDS neighbors won't befriend you because if you are worth knowing they will meet you in the "ward". If not, you aren't worth bothering with.
Am I reading this correctly???? Are you saying if you're not LDS you're not worth knowing????

Old 10-07-2007, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 11,263 times
Quote:
Am I reading this correctly???? Are you saying if you're not LDS you're not worth knowing????

Yes that is what she was saying and while it is rather forceful, I agree with Annie. I beieve that there is a need for many of the LDS faith to protect their walk by not involving themselves to deeply in the lives of non LDS neighbors.

Being a Christian I understand why one may need to avoid the ackwardness of non believers and their lifestyles. Now I have honestly never been quite so limited, but I am also very grateful that I don't live in a place where conformity to a set of expectations as far as behavior is so strong. I couldn't handle it. But that doesn't mean I don't pay a price for my openess to others as I have found myself adversely influenced by some of my choices in aquaintenaces who believe differently than I at the core. So I understand and accept their limitations that I attribute to the Mormon culture; for better or for worse. I am speculating here.

The truth is I am more apt to bring up God in the conversation with Mormons at work or in my neighborhood in Cottonwood, Salt Lake City then my Mormon coworkers or neighbors and like most everyone else who is non Mormon has said, I have only once or twice in 8 years felt a little discomfort with Mormon missionaries who were evangelizing locally. About what you would find, maybe less from Christians in any city in the US. Thats kind of the calling of anyone who believes in God, but honestly I think Mormons in Utah don't shove it down your throat and are respectful of your beliefs. I don't think you will find overt hatred of gay people and it is pretty clear that in the heart of Salt Lake City, many gay people choose to live here for some of the same reasons many non-LDS people choose to live here. It's not perfect, but it is a community of values whos LDS citizens I believe are trying to love others regardless of what they believe.

I also do believe there may be great challenges of fitting in for children in schools similiar to what the man with a daughter in high school describes, but like gay experiences or the rest of this post, I am merely speculating based on my experiences.

David

Old 10-08-2007, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 11,235 times
Salt Lake Avenues and Sugarhouse or Holladay area will be your best bet.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:00 PM

91 posts, read 329,085 times
Don't forget 30th St. in Ogden, off the freeway exit in Clearfield, and Dixie Downs Dr. north of Sunset in St. George. It's Utah, people, the state is 70% LDS, you CAN'T hide. (In general the lower income areas near the cities are less concentrated LDS)

Old 10-09-2007, 10:51 PM

4 posts, read 17,588 times
Did you check out Park City, UT?

Feel free to contact me for more info on Park City.

>Advertising Links Removed<

Old 02-07-2008, 01:14 AM

3 posts, read 17,027 times
Default Rude Question from the Start

I can't relate to your only factor in moving to Utah is the lack of concentrated specific church members. Utah is a large state. There are towns within the metro area of Salt Lake City that meet your population criteria but are still very urban. Or you can live in rather isolated and economically independent and challenged areas that are not predominately LDS but have challenges in jobs and stability. So what do you want? Go to Price and Helper and Moab so you don't have to deal with Mormons. You're 65 miles from Mormon-rich Provo and separated by a dangerous canyon so you can feel secure. But be careful because Emery County just 25 miles south of Price is back to Mormon country. You're essentially surrounded but Price has churches of all faiths and a low number of LDS per capita. Its population is just less than 10,000. However, when I attended the college in Price, I had wonderful friends both Mormon and other faiths there. I saw more college-age kids join the LDS faith in that area than I did when I lived in Salt Lake City.

You're already coming here with preconcieved notions. Why not approach your search with a better attitude to respect and befriend whomever you live next to. I grew up in Utah as the only LDS family on our block. Yet we were friends with everyone on the street.

If I was moving to South Carolina would I say I'm happy to live here but I want to be in a neighborhood without Baptists? That's called steering and is illegal if you ask that from a licensed real estate agent. Good thing you posted it here because I wouldn't want you to violate the law. Better to be rude than lawbreaking.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 PM

281 posts, read 802,193 times
If your set on Utah come on in. As far as LDS church and it's manifestations, well, you just got to live here for 6 months or so and reach your own conclusions. Is it a showstopper? Not at all. But it is very real.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:03 PM

25 posts, read 4,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidslc46 View Post
Quote:

Yes that is what she was saying and while it is rather forceful, I agree with Annie. I beieve that there is a need for many of the LDS faith to protect their walk by not involving themselves to deeply in the lives of non LDS neighbors.

Being a Christian I understand why one may need to avoid the ackwardness of non believers and their lifestyles. Now I have honestly never been quite so limited, but I am also very grateful that I don't live in a place where conformity to a set of expectations as far as behavior is so strong. I couldn't handle it. But that doesn't mean I don't pay a price for my openess to others as I have found myself adversely influenced by some of my choices in aquaintenaces who believe differently than I at the core. So I understand and accept their limitations that I attribute to the Mormon culture; for better or for worse. I am speculating here.

The truth is I am more apt to bring up God in the conversation with Mormons at work or in my neighborhood in Cottonwood, Salt Lake City then my Mormon coworkers or neighbors and like most everyone else who is non Mormon has said, I have only once or twice in 8 years felt a little discomfort with Mormon missionaries who were evangelizing locally. About what you would find, maybe less from Christians in any city in the US. Thats kind of the calling of anyone who believes in God, but honestly I think Mormons in Utah don't shove it down your throat and are respectful of your beliefs. I don't think you will find overt hatred of gay people and it is pretty clear that in the heart of Salt Lake City, many gay people choose to live here for some of the same reasons many non-LDS people choose to live here. It's not perfect, but it is a community of values whos LDS citizens I believe are trying to love others regardless of what they believe.

I also do believe there may be great challenges of fitting in for children in schools similiar to what the man with a daughter in high school describes, but like gay experiences or the rest of this post, I am merely speculating based on my experiences.

David
Yes you are speculating, I am LDS, lived in Ogden for many years, I am moving to VA, for a job change.. To be honest most the kids that come over to our house with our kids were non-LDS, we had many different culturses, religons, and some very interesting people. So I am saying not all LDS people shun non-LDS. But let me add, I agree with you at the same time, there are LDS people that do this very thing, and I feel for them, they are missing out on great friends, our church teaches us to love our neighbors, some LDS choose not too. I have to say I am sorry if you have been treated this way. If you lived in our neighborhood, and moved in you would get a visit with a plate of cookies, and welcomed into the neighborhood. We watch out for our neighbors, all both LDS and non-lds...

As for this being a culture thing, I don't think so on that aspect, but I think it is more that they get involved in their own lives and forget they have neighbors that are not LDS.

Last edited by llreeder; 02-07-2008 at 02:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah