U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 01:10 PM

71 posts, read 268,927 times

Advertisements

I've had quite a few hassles lately with a son being stopped by cops in several jurisdictions to check for insurance and have learned a few things about these kind of traffic stops that might save others a lot of trouble. The message is as soon as you change cars, even before driving it if you can, immediately get your insurance card for that vehicle and get it in your glove box with your registration or any other papers. Your agent can print out a temporary insurance card on the spot.

Apparently the police are now constantly scanning plates and comparing the plates to the data base that Insurite, a private company, maintains for the state, to see that drivers are insured. The problem is that Insurite only updates the data base every two weeks. If you are driving your car around in those few days it takes for you to get the cards in the mail, or if you forget to have them with you, or they are lost or stolen, you will almost certainly be stopped and asked to prove insurance with the card, and if you don't have it you will be issued a citation to prove it in court. That's because the data base will show you as uninsured. Your insurance agent can sometimes fax it to the court, some courts will demand a hand written form from the insurance agent. Its best to avoid these sorts of stops because while they are at it the police will go on a fishing expedition to look for every other thing they can find to ticket you for, particularly equipment issues. Also clearing up proof of insurance is time consuming, and if you don't you will get a warrant.

Insurite also gets it wrong sometimes and will not match a vin number of a car with an insurance policy number, especially if you are insuring a car that might have the registration in some other family members name. It will kick it out of the system and you will have to personally intervene with Insurite and make them compare the vin number to the policy number-not the name on the registration. This also happened. So if you are repeatedly getting stopped and the officer says it shows you have no insurance even though you have a card and know you are, immediately contact Insurite, their website is: Insure-Rite Home and their contact data is Phone 801.531.0731 - Fax 801-531-0312 | info@insure-rite.com. 230 South 500 East Suite 580. Salt Lake City, UT 84102

I always see my family is covered, but recently I've had quite a bit of my time wasted with this issue and thought others ought to know how the system works. Someone mentioned to me recently that to make up for lost revenue, the police are really focusing in on plate and insurance data base checks, because besides catching uninsured drivers, the fines are so lucrative (in the area of $600). There are even some special purpose vehicles various municipalities are using that do nothing but scan plates-hundreds of plates an hour. See this : New system lets officers scan hundreds of plates an hour | The Salt Lake Tribune

I'm all for insurance, but to save others the time wasting hassle of proof of insurance issues, I thought I should put this out there.

Last edited by griffin; 03-13-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 04:18 PM

2,608 posts, read 3,834,846 times
It's the law to have proof of insurance in your vehicle. If you don't and it's a hassle to provide that proof then hopefully you'll learn your lesson.

That being said, when I worked for dispatch in Logan we didn't use a program called Insure-Rite. They may use it now, but they didn't when I was there.

Also, clearing up the ticket should literally only take you a couple minutes. All you have to do is provide proof of insurance, so if you have insurance that just requires you taking your insurance card to the court clerks that handle traffic court. I never once heard of anyone having to get a written statement from the insurance company proving they were insured.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM

835 posts, read 1,786,608 times
Wow, I have been driving for over 30 years now and I always, always knew that you had to have proof of insurance and vehicle registration in your car, at all times, no matter what. New insurance, lost, stolen cards, blah blah blah. In this day and age of computers, print it and put it in the car before you start the engine and back out of the garage.
It can be a pain in the neck to be pulled over but you will be miles ahead with common sense and preparation.
That being said, I am pleased that the powers that be may actually checking to see if drivers have current insurance or not.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:20 AM

10,852 posts, read 10,527,907 times
By the same token, in this day and age of computers, the police can tell you more about yourself than you know just by pushing a couple of buttons in their cruisers. That applies to insurance info as well. They know. The police can find your insurance info in seconds. Either you have car insurance or you don't. You shouldn't need a little piece of paper in you car. But.... you have to have it anyway. Red tape.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM

2,608 posts, read 3,834,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
By the same token, in this day and age of computers, the police can tell you more about yourself than you know just by pushing a couple of buttons in their cruisers. That applies to insurance info as well. They know. The police can find your insurance info in seconds. Either you have car insurance or you don't. You shouldn't need a little piece of paper in you car. But.... you have to have it anyway. Red tape.
Not really, the systems they use can be outdated. We once got pulled over and even though we had the same insurance on our car for over a year it was still pulling up as "uninsured".

Computers aren't fool proof.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:06 PM

71 posts, read 268,927 times
If you buy a car or change cars, it takes a few days to get the insurance card in the mail, and with the new scanning system and updates to the data base only twice a month, there's a "hole" in the system that can lead to unnecessary stops. As far as that statement that it only takes a few minutes to clear up proof of insurance issues, that may be true in Logan, but in Salt Lake various justice courts have different procedures, some will accept a fax, others are now demanding a declaration written by the agent and hand delivered, and if they don't like the looks of it, back to the agent to get another declaration. I've had it happen. Apparently there have been some issues with phony insurance declarations being faxed and delivered to justice courts. It is a whole lot easier to show the temporary card on the spot, even if you have to get it from your agent before driving the vehicle, than going through the hassle, which can now be considerable depending on the jurisdiction. On the positive side, the Insurite system has reduced uninsured drivers from 25% years ago to less than 5% now.

A lot of people, even the police, don't really know who administers the data base or how its done. When you insure a car in Utah the agents sends a fax to Insurite, and Insurite verfies it and enters it in the data base, which is updated every two weeks. If you drop insurance on a registered vehicle, such as when you might store your rv for the winter, another fax goes to Insurite from your agent saying its dropped, and if Insurite sees the registration is current, they will send you a letter asking why you show a registered vehicle with no insurance. If you don't get the letter, or don't respond to it, they will deregister your vehicle, and when you go to register it again the next year you will find it without registration, and a $100 dollar fine to re-register it again. One time I was on vacation when they sent the letter, so I called from a distant location to verify I was storing the vehicle, they said OK, and then when I went to register the vehicle the next year discovered it was deregistered and had a $100 reregistration fee to boot. I cleared it up with a trip to the agent and back to the DMV. So thats the intent of my post, to let others know what I've learned the hard way-and not because I deserve a lesson-but because there are some holes in the system you need to watch for, particularly if you own a number of vehicles that you only drive and insure part of the time.

Last edited by griffin; 03-15-2011 at 04:20 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 04:45 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,137,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The cops don't get all your insurance information. They only get the information Insurite has given to the DMV, and it's isn't often accuate, nor does it have any other information besides the insurance company name and whether they've received verification of the policy or not.

But a plate flagged for no insurance by Insurite IS reasonable suspicion to make a stop, and ultimately state code requires you have a valid insurance card in car whenever it is being operated. Keep your car insured, keep your current card in the car and you won't have a problem.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,724 times
My 72 year old mother was stopped with this same problem, she showed the officer her insurance card and he said it did not show up on his system. I texted my mother a picture of the whole policy number, insurance agent name etc which the officer still said he did not show anything in his system. To make the long story short the officer called the toll truck, impounded my mother;s card leaving her stranded at 5 am. 5 hours later after showing the DMV proff of insurance i was able to take the car back after paying $300 for a impound release form and impound fees. $300 out of my pocket for a mistake some one else made in their system. No one wants to accept responsability or reinburse me for this fees. any help??

Old 04-01-2014, 09:40 AM

2,397 posts, read 5,220,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
>>>snip<<<
I always see my family is covered, but recently I've had quite a bit of my time wasted with this issue and thought others ought to know how the system works. Someone mentioned to me recently that to make up for lost revenue, the police are really focusing in on plate and insurance data base checks, because besides catching uninsured drivers, the fines are so lucrative (in the area of $600). There are even some special purpose vehicles various municipalities are using that do nothing but scan plates-hundreds of plates an hour. See this : New system lets officers scan hundreds of plates an hour | The Salt Lake Tribune

I'm all for insurance, but to save others the time wasting hassle of proof of insurance issues, I thought I should put this out there.
If they're actively going after uninsured motorists I think that's awesome.

I know more than one person that was hit by a uninsured (and unlicensed and illegal) driver and their lives were darn near destroyed. Getting those guys off the road, or at least living in fear and not driving idiotically, would be a great public good.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:52 PM

836 posts, read 1,371,424 times
Double-edged sword.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or