U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 416 times

Advertisements

Greetings
So has any of the previous posters moved forward with building any earthbag buildings? I am currently looking at some land near Cedar City to build a small earthbag dwelling at. Just wanted to get more information and people’s experience with Zoning or Code Enforcement. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 05:22 PM

15 posts, read 21,041 times
I tried to Reply to this Post this morning - but I am having a hell of a time with computers lately. I
I was using my account "SagebrushRyder" and my Post did not go through because I had this previous account "Tukkikat", which I had lost - lost the password ? - and so they informed me today that I was forbidden to send a Post because this offense cost me 2 points forever.
I started one earthbag bldg. in Beryl, last September, on my 20-acre parcel there. Got a minimal 18" footing dug and partly filled with gravel and pea gravel and then had to drop the project.
I have almost everything there on my property - tube bag, hand tools, et cetera to do complete the 12-ft. diameter dome.
I will need more hands and water and suitable earth mixture.

More to follow - if this Post goes through

Old 04-03-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinookSuperTruck View Post
Greetings
So has any of the previous posters moved forward with building any earthbag buildings? I am currently looking at some land near Cedar City to build a small earthbag dwelling at. Just wanted to get more information and people’s experience with Zoning or Code Enforcement. Thanks
I am having an awful time online with this website.
Received message from City Data Forum that there was a DM Reply to me. But when I log in there I cannot retrieve any
message from "Chinook..."

My "SagebrushRyder" account is no good. My Tukkikat account is working.

I have not received any further word from "Soaring Wings" since last April.

I got the footing done on my property in Beryl last year. Have everything needed for the construction there.
Plan to get back to work in May.

Do you want to barter: work with me on my building - I reciprocate by working on your project. ?

Old 06-30-2018, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 146 times
An intro- rogerpdodger is me. Been reading for years about self-sufficiency, off grid, alternative building, etc. Now life has taken such a u-turn i find myself with a lady who dreams like I do and eyeballing cheap land in Duchesne or Iron counties. Leaning toward 20 plus acres nor-norwest of cedar city so quite interested in the chat on this board. It's zoned A-20 but is +/- 40. So been studying the zoning for A-20. My buildings are mostly drawing board right now. Ultimately a multi dome dirtbag dwelling with several outbuildings, shop, animal dwellings etc. Nothing commercial just for My own consumption at first. My big concern is access to clay to mix with the sand for bag filling. as everything is built of sand out there. Any solutions to that one? Will be down there in the next month or so to check out land sites. Would love to come see what you guys have going on at your places. Also hope to make it down the Moab way to check out the dirtbag community there. We really need to network. No use everyone duplicating work. Tukkikat, love the idea of people getting together to help eachother. That used to be the norm not the exception.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:55 AM

Hey Rogerpdodger,

I am sure I have seen posts before with your name on them but I cannot find any now.
I am located in the Escalante Desert, the mailing address being in Beryl. There is no Beryl. Just a dot on the map - at the intersection of Hwy 18 and North 11,000, a.k.a. the Railroad Access Road. But everyone here is scattered in this Sagebrush desert.
I know that there is at least one 20-acre parcel on the market here because someone who had been paying on a parcel has recently vacated it - made a deal to "roll over" the payments to acquire a smaller piece of land in Modena, which is a ghost town on Hwy 56. But the realtors - Caldwell Banker, Remax Velocity, have a couple old signs here and there advertising 20 acres for sale.
As for clay: I have been taking soil samples (just mixing up the soil with water in a glass jar and leaving it to settle) over different parts of my acreage for over a year and have found mixtures ranging from barely adequate clay content to less than adequate. But my nearest neighbors have soil that is much harder, which implies a greater clay content. The point being that the soil makeup varies a great deal over a small area.
Also I have some bags of clay that I purchased last year, along with lime and gravel-road base. So these soil amendments are commercially available, in Cedar city, though I cannot say if they are cost-effective on a large scale.
My own grand plan for a multi-dome house has been scaled back - I am now just hoping to finish a circular pit, 12 feet in diameter and a few feet high, this summer.
Your post gives me hope that you will magically appear here and help me complete one dome here and we will begin construction on your new property. From there we can hope other people will join in and - who knows? - we may start an earthbag building revolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah