U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:35 PM

3,144 posts, read 6,917,501 times

Advertisements

I'm asking this for a sight-impaired friend of mine who does not use the Internet and is looking to retire to either Sundance or Park City. Before glaucoma robbed him of most of his eyesight, he enjoyed both Park City and Sundance when vacationing there 20 years ago (I realize both places have exploded in growth in that time).

He is a retired CPA and currently lives in Southern California. He has invested well and is fairly well to do, so money is not the issue. But he wants a place where religion is unimportant to neighbors and he will be left alone. He has no children and is unmarried. So family life is not something he knows or has experience with.

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 PM

1,294 posts, read 2,797,793 times
I don't know if there is really a definable difference between the two. Both are pretty laid back. Both might be less religious than SLC, but not by much. Well there are some big differences in other things out there. For example, the absorbent prices on food, drink, housing and entertainment might scare you off.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:31 PM

835 posts, read 1,787,528 times
I would not consider Sundance to be a "town"-more of a resort with a couple of places to eat and shop. If he wants solace, go Sundance, if you want some neighbors around, go PC.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:21 PM

So LDS influence is large in both places? I know this is a touchy subject on this forum, but I need to know this. My friend is not LDS and is extremely non-religious.

I have read repeatedly here that Park City is very limited in LDS influence, no?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:26 PM

835 posts, read 1,787,528 times
I lived in pC for 15 years and did not find any type of religious influence. I am not saying that people were worshiping the devil, I just did not encounter any particular "groups" of people that were in church all the time. It seems as though people were more plugged into nature, outdoors, neighbors, friends and fun than going to church.
I have spent a few nights over at Sundance-would not want to live there though. I do not consider it a town and just a tad to isolated for me.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 AM

10,861 posts, read 10,536,018 times
Sundance is not a town. It is a resort surrounded by a few homes and some summer cabins. The only "services" are those of the Sundance Resort--a couple of restaurants/snack bars, ski/board shop, souvenir shop, various art related shops, a resort bar, etc. Sundance has great skiing at times though!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 AM

21,881 posts, read 22,015,792 times
As has been pointed out, Sundance is not even a town. Park City is, and it's absolutely charming. You can't get around the fact that there is a certain amount of LDS influence everywhere in Utah. I would think that in Park City, though, it would be negligible.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:07 PM

Thank you to all for assisting me in my question. I appreciate it!

Old 08-16-2011, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,457 times
Park City is beautiful but burried under snow six months out of the year. There is no "Sundance" town. It is a resort with only one place to buy sundries at Bob Redfords Sundance Resort. As far as religion, if you don't like Mormonism, don't move to either. The Mormon population is exploding and at 5 children per family the number of people doubles literally every 10 months. LDS has made a huge push into the Park City and all surrounding areas. Personally, I love them. If it weren't for Mormons, the place would look just like the disqusting southern California area you liberals created and are now running away from. Trust me, you will never be accepted here, nor will you like it because there are no homosexual activists and you still can't marry animals as far as I know. You built it, you stay there.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:19 PM

19,817 posts, read 55,828,607 times
What bull pucky! Most LDS people I know that are still having kids have 2-3 children. They are not "pushing" into anywhere.

As it happens, SLC has a surprisingly large % of GLBT people. There is a neighborhood known as being a gay 'hood.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or