U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 12:04 AM

7 posts, read 11,124 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in Portland Oregon. I grew up in OR and she grew up in NYC - we both moved to Oregon 2 years ago from NYC. It has been a beautiful stepping stone and we love most things about it here except for the low amount of sunshine 9 months of the year. Our vitamin D levels depleted we are seriously considering relocating to a sunnier climate and Utah is an option. New Mexico is also on our short list. We actually got married in Boulder. We love Southern Utah although it is incredibly isolated. But we've been to Utah about 4 or 5 times and only been to Northern NM once. In Utah we have mostly just a hung out in SLC (which we don't jive with too much) and Southern Central Utah (which blows our minds). We are planning another trip to visit later this summer and would love some tips on which cities might be a good match for us based on what we are looking for and any thoughts on a comparison to New Mexico if you have that expertise.

Here goes ...

1. Plenty of sunshine (I would bet anything in Utah beats Portland) and we prefer a winter that doesn't completely crush us. We're not afraid of the cold just not looking for bone chilling all winter long.
2. We want to live either outside a city or in a smaller city than Portland - we are craving more nature, more connection to the land.
3. Somewhere that will fare better in future global warming scenarios (e.g. water)
4. Access to outdoor activities (namely hiking, backpacking)
5. My wife is a speech pathologist so we need to either live in or within 30-45 minutes of a city she can work in. Most cities have work in this field (schools, home health, nursing homes, assisted living).
6. I am a composer/musician (and construction) worker and it would be handy to be less than 2 hours from an airport.
7. Access to good food.
8. And why not ... it'd be great to have a yoga studio somewhere within 30 minutes distance.

We are in our early 30's, think a bit out of the box, like people, enjoy nature, like growing some of our own food when we can, DIY stuff, etc - you can see how this fits into Portland...

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 05:52 AM

5,322 posts, read 11,014,636 times
Go to New Mexico.
I think you will find more to your liking there.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:45 AM

21,886 posts, read 22,024,555 times
If you didn't like Salt Lake City, I would suggest St. George. Otherwise, I'd go for New Mexico.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:01 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,167,916 times
I have lived in all three states. Moved to Oregon in the early 90's, left in 2006 for Utah, lived there for 2 years and then to New Mexico for about a year and ahalf, now back in Oregon (Springfield to be exact). I hear you on the rain, I have had a really hard time this past winter, that is why we are off to Arizona, also because my husband got transfered there.

I personally preferred New Mexico. The winters were not as harsh for me in NM. Very little snow, we lived West in Albuquerque in the Ventana Ranch community, and not really cold. If it did snow in NM it was melted and gone by mid day. Utah was sunny during the winter, but too cold for my liking.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:00 PM

7 posts, read 11,124 times
Default other NM towns?

I hear you on the last Oregon winter - that was a dark one! I think it broke the camels back.

Do you know any smaller NM towns that might be a good fit?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:26 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,167,916 times
We pretty much stayed in the ABQ area. We did see Farmington and I have heard good and bad about it. You may want to go and take a week or two and explore.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:19 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,802,953 times
Your criteria pretty much rules out anything in New Mexico other than Albuquerque. I love northern New Mexico, but Albuquerque is not a very nice city. For one thing, it has savage crime problems for a city of its size. Like all of the Southwest, Albuquerque is very arid and is subject to frequent droughts. Most global warming experts (though I do not necessarily subscribe entirely to global warming theory--and I'm am amateur climatologist) believe that severe droughts in the Southwest will be more frequent and more severe in a global warming scenario. Down the line, New Mexico in general and Albuquerque specifically will probably have significant water supply problems--especially if population growth continues. That very well may be a serious issue in Utah, as well, but I think the problem in New Mexico will be more immediate.

For what you desire, I would say the Wasatch Front offers better options, though the winters are more harsh than Albuquerque and the air quality can be foul in winter along the Wasatch Front.

Note, too, that the cultures of the two states are almost completely different. Utah is predominantly Anglo and LDS, New Mexico is predominantly Hispanic (especially in the northern half of New Mexico where much of the population is native Hispanic--not Mexican--tracing their roots back in the area for generations) and Catholic.

I've lived in neither place, but I've spent a good amount of time in both over the years--I'd pick Salt Lake City over Albuquerque.

My standard warning for anybody wanting to relocate anywhere in the Rocky Mountain West holds here: have a job in hand first. Period.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:19 PM

10,859 posts, read 10,538,870 times
As for the water thing, you may not want to come to Utah or New Mexico. Both are largely desert and have very low average rainfall even in the absence of drought.

As for your other criteria, if you didn't like SLC, then truthfully, I'd doubt anywhere in Utah would work for you. I'd suggest either Albuquerque NM or Las Cruces NM.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:07 PM

5,322 posts, read 11,014,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troswalt View Post
Do you know any smaller NM towns that might be a good fit?
All depends on where you end up working, and whom for ...

Plenty of small places anywhere in New Mexico.

Plenty of crime, like someone said ?
Give me one place you do not have that situation.
Even really small towns have some kind of *nasty* thing ...

But ... ,as that same poster said, I am with him in his statement, do not go anywhere without a job !!!
Also from his further statement, keep in mind that there is a big difference in having visited an area and having lived and worked in an area.

Keep in mind that ABQ is surrounded by Indian Reservation country, so there IS a limit to expansion. If there will ever be water enough for everybody is a good question and even SLC is in question right there ...

Old 06-16-2011, 04:05 PM

115 posts, read 245,457 times
Salt Lake City,Utah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or