Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 11:48 AM

6 posts, read 20,038 times

Advertisements

We are buying a Cabin in the town of Central in Washington County, we are moving there, from the Park City area, My husband is asking about snakes in that area. Does anyone know?? I know St. George has Rattlers. It's quite a bit colder in Central though. Accurate info. would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Emily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 01:13 PM

25,238 posts, read 18,397,166 times
Rattlesnakes are native to almost the entire state of Utah, except the higher mountain areas. I've met up with rattlesnakes on hikes up to maybe the 6500 or 7000 foot level (elevation). They are fairly common around here outside the urban areas. Thing is, they are generally not going to bother you unless you bother them.

Last edited by ChrisC; 05-19-2011 at 01:44 PM..

Old 06-11-2011, 11:22 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,438,153 times
i wouldn't even worry about snakes. if you are active outdoors, you'll see them occasionally. only a small percentage of those will be venomous––so *maybe* once or twice a year if you are outdoors all of the time.

if you aren't outdoors every weekend or more though, you will probably see a venomous snake only once every handful of years or so.

EDIT: as an aside, i love snakes and actively look for them when i am outdoors. admittedly, since i'm in school, i'm not out as often as i'd like to be. but i still see snakes regularly, because i search for them. and i still see 20+ garter snakes to every rattler that i even think i see.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:04 PM

25,238 posts, read 18,397,166 times
I saw a rattlesnake during my jog in Hobblecreek again a few days ago. It's a paved trail, and of course, I simply ran around it. But it does worry me a bit because there are a lot of children, dogs, and women with baby buggies. I think the TV needs to add a new safety commercial to it's list (you know, like the "click it or ticket" thing): When You Hear The Rattle... Skedaddle.

The big news for Hobblecreek is that there was a bear cub spotted several times in a campground near the golf course. The camp was closed for a time. Haven't seen him on the trail yet! And... I hope I don't. Even that cub is probably faster than I am. And I KNOW mama is. And I'm not into bear wrestling.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:54 AM

Default Snakes in Central?

Well we are going more south, we live in Midway now..near Park City, and I cant even tell you the last time I saw a snake here. Kamas though, 15 miles from here they had quite a few up mirror lake highway..I HATE SNAKES! I have small kiddo's so I dont want to have a PEST problem like that Hobblecreek, we were gonna buy a cabin up there, It's so pretty. We love the mountains so snakes wont keep up out of them, but just want to be cautious..Now bears on the other hand, I hope to god not.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:47 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,709,478 times
We ran into a rattlesnake in Herriman this past weekend. We were climbing in some hills above the town. I think rattlesnakes are just about everywhere in Utah, but the danger is relatively low. After our encounter I read that Utah averages about 10 snakebite victims per year. In the U.S., for all kinds of snakes in all states, there are an average of 8,000 bites per year. About half of which are caused by people, often intoxicated, provoking snakes. Of the 8,000 victims, fewer than 10 die each year. I felt better after reading that on Wikipedia.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:31 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,438,153 times
coolcats, we thought you were translated or something. nice to see you're still among us sinners. you should have known i'd want a picture of the rattlesnake, there.

just for kicks, i'll link to a photo of the one i saw last summer in the hopes that it is good luck and allows me to see another one this year:

Browsing deviantART

Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,709,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
coolcats, we thought you were translated or something. nice to see you're still among us sinners. you should have known i'd want a picture of the rattlesnake, there.

just for kicks, i'll link to a photo of the one i saw last summer in the hopes that it is good luck and allows me to see another one this year:

Browsing deviantART
Been real busy with a newborn and a new job. I have time to visit once in a while, but that's about it. The snake was hard to see -- in some brush. But we could see it raise its tail and rattle.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:09 AM

Thanks Ya'll, we are closing on our Cabin, next week..cant wait to move outta Midway!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah