Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 04:17 PM

54 posts, read 89,924 times

Advertisements

As other people have said, I really wouldn't suggest Utah County due to your situation. The farthest south I would possibly suggest is Holladay.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 11:22 PM

762 posts, read 2,117,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImMikeyMcc View Post
We need a home with 4 bedrooms minimum, but would prefer 5 or 6 bedrooms. 2.5 baths, minimum and 3200 sq feet minimum. We are also looking for good schools, but I bet all the schools in the area are pretty good. Of course, we would like to keep the rent as low as we can, but a maximum would be $4,000/month. Oh yeah, and we have dogs... Good dogs, but dogs none-the less. Since we are renting, architectural doesn't really matter. And of course, I want the commute to Orem to be as painless as possible...
Finding a rental that large can be a challenge but your budget is appropriate. In SLC, focus on the Avenues (though only the upper Aves/Northcrest will generally have homes that large), Yalecrest, and Foothill. Of those, Foothill has a slight edge for your commute since the I-215 east belt is so close. In the suburbs, you'll want to be in Holladay, Cottonwood Heights, or maybe Olympus Cove/East Millcreek. Those areas may not be as gay-friendly as in the city, but they'll be MUCH better than anywhere further south (or west).

In online searches, stick with the following ZIP codes:
84105 (east half)
84124 (east half)
84117 (east half)
84121 (east half)

Old 01-29-2015, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,581 times
Hi Did your family ever move to Utah? I too am looking at a job in Orem albiet 4 years later! What did you discover? I am from So-cal and am very progressive and being surrounded by uber conservatives is a little scary.
Thanks for the info.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:56 PM

72 posts, read 117,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarignan View Post
Hi Did your family ever move to Utah? I too am looking at a job in Orem albiet 4 years later! What did you discover? I am from So-cal and am very progressive and being surrounded by uber conservatives is a little scary.
Thanks for the info.
You probably won't like it. Salt Lake City however is pretty Progressive leaning and would likely be a better fit. I am curious if you're very progressive then why do you want to leave the progressive mecca?

Old 02-01-2015, 12:32 PM

11 posts, read 30,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscBadger View Post
My family and I are considering a move from Wisconsin to Utah. I am in talks with a company with offices in Orem. We are non-LDS and pretty progressive in our political views. My wife is very outgoing, has a lot of close friends, organizes community dinners and block parties, etc. We have two kids, one who is 6 and the other still a baby. From some of the other threads, it seems we might feel isolated in Orem/Provo because we are not members of the LDS church.

Is it possible to work in Orem and live in Sundance or another community outside of Orem/Provo? I'm afraid Salt Lake City would be out of consideration due to the long commute. We're not too concerned about housing prices, our current house in Wisconsin is worth about $700,000.

Perhaps I'm overreacting to some of the other threads regarding "life among the LDS." I can't speak from first-hand experience so I apologize if my perception is offensive. I have a colleague who is a Mormon and recently relocated to Orem himself; he didn't think it would be a problem but did say that the LDS church is a very big part of the culture.

Orem has a good mix of non-mormons. I attend College at the Utah Valley University, I am not mormon. I have lived in Utah since 1990.

There is a lot of technology companies nearby, Novell, Adobe, Ebay.

The mormon influence keeps people appreciating family in my opinion but it's not overly pushy.

There is a strong fitness culture out here. Salt lake city is the most liberal city and has a big gay community in college area of sugarhouse.

You could live in Orem and be fine not being mormon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah