U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 10,962 times
Default Non-LDS Working in Orem; Live in Sundance or Park City?

My family and I are considering a move from Wisconsin to Utah. I am in talks with a company with offices in Orem. We are non-LDS and pretty progressive in our political views. My wife is very outgoing, has a lot of close friends, organizes community dinners and block parties, etc. We have two kids, one who is 6 and the other still a baby. From some of the other threads, it seems we might feel isolated in Orem/Provo because we are not members of the LDS church.

Is it possible to work in Orem and live in Sundance or another community outside of Orem/Provo? I'm afraid Salt Lake City would be out of consideration due to the long commute. We're not too concerned about housing prices, our current house in Wisconsin is worth about $700,000.

Perhaps I'm overreacting to some of the other threads regarding "life among the LDS." I can't speak from first-hand experience so I apologize if my perception is offensive. I have a colleague who is a Mormon and recently relocated to Orem himself; he didn't think it would be a problem but did say that the LDS church is a very big part of the culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 04:13 PM

15,926 posts, read 27,790,964 times
Sundance is not really a town, it's a resort. Park City would have the same commute in winter that SLC would have, maybe worse coming down/up the mountains. Look in Daybreak in the south end of the valley, it's a shorter drive and it is very diverse. There is a wine club there and many other activities. I'm sure Hilgi will chime in soon.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:29 PM

13,605 posts, read 8,774,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscBadger View Post
My family and I are considering a move from Wisconsin to Utah. I am in talks with a company with offices in Orem. We are non-LDS and pretty progressive in our political views. My wife is very outgoing, has a lot of close friends, organizes community dinners and block parties, etc. We have two kids, one who is 6 and the other still a baby. From some of the other threads, it seems we might feel isolated in Orem/Provo because we are not members of the LDS church.

Is it possible to work in Orem and live in Sundance or another community outside of Orem/Provo? I'm afraid Salt Lake City would be out of consideration due to the long commute. We're not too concerned about housing prices, our current house in Wisconsin is worth about $700,000.

Perhaps I'm overreacting to some of the other threads regarding "life among the LDS." I can't speak from first-hand experience so I apologize if my perception is offensive. I have a colleague who is a Mormon and recently relocated to Orem himself; he didn't think it would be a problem but did say that the LDS church is a very big part of the culture.
As a Mormon, I would suggest you not move to Utah county. While I wouldn't exactly relish a daily commute to and from Salt Lake City to Orem, I feel very strongly that your overall life would be happier in a more diverse atmosphere. Understand that when I say "Salt Lake City," I am not talking about Salt Lake City proper (population 180,000) but metropolitan Salt Lake (population 1 million). There are a number of neighborhoods at the south end of the Salt Lake valley that would be a better fit for you and your family. In considering this move, may I suggest that you glace through this thread, and read this post in particular.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:37 AM

4,261 posts, read 3,128,753 times
Quote:

I think a starting point on trying to analyze whether you'd be happy or not is to focus on the cultural transition that you'll be making moving to Utah from Wisconsin. My sister lives in WI and I have visited her several times. I've been through Milwaukee, been through Madison, and through center part of the state. Despite the recent problems with Scott Walker/Collective bargaining Wisconsin remains a much more progressive/liberal state than Utah does. You'll likely pick up on that immediately. Utah County (where Orem is located) is one of the most culturally, socially, and politically conservative counties in the USA. I think someone making the transition you describe and moving into Orem (or the surrounding Utah County area) would likely suffer something close to cultural shock.

Quote:

Most of these questions have been answered. Living around Sundance is not a viable option. The commute from Salt Lake County is not nearly as far as you imagine it. From South Salt Lake County, I would guess the commute time might ordinarily be 30 minutes each each way. In short, I think your much more likely to find an area suitable to your family a few miles north in Salt Lake County than down in Orem.

Quote:
You aren't overreacting. Some of us who are LDS (Mormon) have stated on this forum that we would never consider living in Utah County for many of the same reasons you are concerned. Given our familiarity with the local culture, I think we'd do a better job of fitting in down there than you would--yet we still would never choose to try. That ought to tell you something.

I think you and your family can be happy here. However, I wouldn't minimize the challenges involved. The best step you can take is to find a neighborhood that is diverse and relatively progressive in thought. These neighborhoods do exist and the closer you get to Salt Lake City, the more likely you are to find one.

If you search this forum you will find posts from people who were not LDS and lived in Utah County. Most of these people express anything from unhappiness to downright depression over their move. You might look around and see if you can find an old thread I started months ago entitled "Moving to Utah County". It summarizes the pros, cons, and issues in such a move.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:24 PM

8 posts, read 15,620 times
$700,000 in Park City might get you a nice lower-end home. In this economy, you might be able to pick up some better deals. Like others have said, I definitely wouldn't want to live in Park City if you're working in Orem.

I also equal the sentiment about not living in Utah County. I too am a practicing LDS person and I'd never live down there. However, the LDS people who move there or are from there would tell you that there's no better place to raise kids and that's great. I, personally wouldn't touch it.

However, living in Draper or anywhere near the south mountain would be great.

Your kids will fit in fine if they don't sit home and play video games all day. It's human nature to like people that are any of the following: fun, out going, hard working, athletic, good looking, active... It's sad but that' s how society is no matter where you live in this world.

It won't matter what religion you or your family are as long as you're not hermits hanging out in the basement all day. You better be in to some type of sport because most people in this state are whether it's football or snowboarding. Don't move to Utah and not get into the outdoors.

I know that Wisconsin has some outdoor opportunities but I don't consider it hiking unless I am actually climbing up vertically. You'll also find that almost even more people like the deserts of Southern Utah than they do the pine forests and lakes of Northern Utah. Utah really does have it all.

Last thing, I once heard from a joke from Jay Leno back in 2008 when Obama was campaigning in Wisconsin.

He said that the people of Wisconsin were shocked to see Obama there. The reasons being that half of the people there had never seen a black person and the other half had never seen a skinny person.

I kept this stereotype in my head until last year when I was reading up on Wisconsin and realized just how progressive it really is. Now I realize that it seems like a nice place. This is why I don't hang onto stereotypes.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:57 PM

590 posts, read 954,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
As a Mormon, I would suggest you not move to Utah county.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

You aren't overreacting. Some of us who are LDS (Mormon) have stated on this forum that we would never consider living in Utah County for many of the same reasons you are concerned. Given our familiarity with the local culture, I think we'd do a better job of fitting in down there than you would--yet we still would never choose to try.

So what you are saying is Utah County is too Mormon for the Mormons?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Johnson View Post
$700,000 in Park City might get you a nice lower-end home. In this economy, you might be able to pick up some better deals.

Any home selling in Wisconsin for $700,000 in this economy is undoubtedly giong to be something very upscale, so yes comparatively the same money may not impress in Park City. But Park City is a series of neighborhoods that range in price/grandness from Upper Deer Valley to Summit Park, no disrespect to Summit Parkers, just that homes can be smaller, older, further from town and the resorts, and difficult to get to in winter.

That being said I'm looking at some very nice 2,500 to 4,500 square foot homes in Park City for $700,000, far too much square for me, but some people like lots of elbow room I suppose.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:03 PM

13,605 posts, read 8,774,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
So what you are saying is Utah County is too Mormon for the Mormons?...
Utah County is way, way, way too Mormon for me. There are times Salt Lake City is too Mormon for me. And please don't anybody accuse me of Mormon bashing. I love Mormons. Some of my best friends are Mormons.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 10,962 times
Thanks for all the great feedback. My wife and I certainly have a lot to discuss. Sounds like outside of Utah County is really the only option for us and as much as I like the idea of living in Park City that drive would kill me. Our discussions will focus on living in STL or the near south of STL.

As far as outdoors activities, I have only gone skiing once in my life and that was in Australia. But I did like Dave's joke regarding Wisconsin folks having never seen a black man or a thin person. We are the cheese state, after all!

Thanks again to everyone. I'll check back to see if there are more comments but this has been very helpful already. If I take the job I'll check back in a few months also.

Cheers!

Kenny

Old 07-21-2011, 06:17 PM

835 posts, read 924,447 times
Not sure where Dave Johnson is looking in PC but 700K will get you a nice home up there, maybe even a Starter Castle!
Kenny, my hubby did the Park City to the Airport commute, 5-6 days a week for 15 years. Each year, it became more of an issue for him-we moved down to the SL Valley a hair over 3 years ago.
His life is way better now that his commute is 10-15 minutes and so that means my life is better too!
I really can't imagine that living at the tail end of SL Valley and driving to Orem would be that hard to do as you would be going against traffic both ways.
I really, really love Utah, living where we do and I hope that you all find it to be a great change from those long cold winters-my Mom is from Sparta and tells me all kind of "back when I was a kid" stories about the winters...

Old 08-14-2011, 01:22 AM

3 posts, read 9,938 times
You might also want to consider looking outside of Park City in Heber, Midway, or along the Jordanelle in Hideout Canyon or near Stillwater.

I think $700k in Park City will get you a lot more for your money than it used to. And if you look outside of Park City along the Jordanelle, Heber, or Midway it will get you even more bang for your buck.

I've lived in Park City for two years and just recently opted to purchase in Midway. Don't get me wrong- Midway is a lot more mormon-y than Park City which is hardly Mormon-y at all, but it still has just enough diversity and open minds to keep your head above water!

For us, Midway was a nice place to settle just based on price alone. It's cheap. We were able to land a completely renovated house for well under $200k. We own two small local businesses and we just haven't been interested in investing more into our living accommodations at this time.

As for the commute... You would not be alone in commuting to Orem daily- I know 5 people off the top of my head that have commuted at one time or another to Utah County from Park City. People do it, lots of people move to Park City from big cities and are used to spending 2 hours a day in the car! One thing to consider is the snow though, it's not hard if you know what your doing but you do have to keep an eye on the idiots driving around you. The commute from PC to Orem isn't that bad, it just gets a little twisty between Deer Creek and Sundance.

I could ramble on and on and on about where to live in Utah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah