U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:10 PM

35 posts, read 149,041 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent transplant from the DC area to Utah and my advice is to take a trip out here outside of ski season and really look around and get into the city before you make a decision. This place is nothing like DC, especially Adams Morgan. My husband and I are in our early thirties and childless and feel very out of place when we go out, but we live in a suburb, not the city (however even in the No. VA suburbs we didn't feel out of place not having any kids).

I'm sure you can find places in SLC with a nightlife, probably not as exciting as you will find in DC, but you are going to have to really look for it (you probably won't find the wide food choices). Check out the numbers below, they should give you an idea of the demographics.

Also, I don't think you will find it easy to find a non-profit job around here. If you are willing to work in the private sector you probably won't have much trouble but expect a pay cut, even going from from non-profit wages to private wages (although it will also be a huge cost of living cut).

A yellowpages.com search of 'dance clubs' yields the following results:

SLC
Bars - 41
Clubs - 12
Cocktail Lounges - 13
Nightclubs - 54
Taverns - 27
Total = 147

DC
Bars - 153
Clubs - 3
Cocktail Lounges - 168
Discotheques - 1
Night Clubs - 70
Taverns - 26
Total = 421

While a search for "child care" yields:

SLC - 140 results

DC - 210 results

According to the US Census, the estimated population of SLC is 179,894 with 77,054 households and 1,666.1 people per square mile while DC is 550,521 with 248,338 households and 9,316.4 people per square mile. That is 1 bar for every 1,223 people and 1 daycare for every 550 households in SLC and 1 bar for every 1,307 people and 1 daycare for every 1,182 households in DC.

We really like it here, but we moved here with the expectation of typical suburbia and we have found it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 09:13 PM

137 posts, read 381,772 times
easternerDC,

the fact is in UT state it is against the alw for two people of teh opposite sex to live together in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. It is a felony I am told. Kinda like polygamy is a felony in UT, but a mesdemanor everywhere else! Its messed up.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:19 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,015,486 times
Talking You're getting bad advice here!

Kaiser and MagpieMagpieMagpie are both dead wrong! After lurking here for weeks, I decided to register just so I could answer this post because I couldn't believe how bad the advice was. SLC is GREAT for unmarried young couples... and NO it's not illegal, that's ridiculous!!! And offering Burt's Tiki Lounge as the prime example of SLC's nightlife shows that these people do not get out. Just within about 2 blocks of where I live are 8 clubs: W Lounge, Area 51, Vortex, Red Door, Elevate, Exchange, Sky Bar, Circle Bar. I may be missing a few, but if you want a full listing, check out SLCparty.com, Your Key to Salt Lake City Nightlife - HOME PAGE

We moved here from L.A. last year (we both actually used to be club promoters in Santa Monica for a while, so I know what I'm talking about) and we could not be happier with the restaurant choices and nightlife (and cultural events). There's nothing "foo-foo" like the Sky Bar in L.A., but so what! All that stuff was pretentious and boring.... full of wanna-bes and celebrity lookers. Here in SLC, you can literally have a conversation with ANYBODY at the clubs and no one is a poser. Dress codes are more relaxed too.

We live downtown, which is where I strongly suggest you consider. there's ALWAYS something going on (check out Downtown Alliance- Salt Lake City, Utah) Prices are still relatively cheap, especially if you're coming from D.C. And there are a bunch of new housing developments/lofts coming to downtown that are completely revitalizing this city.

If you live downtown, you also have the added benefit of living in the "free fare zone" for riding the TRAX system (light rai) which conveges in downtown SLC. It's very convenient and clean. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:14 AM

618 posts, read 2,493,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
easternerDC,

the fact is in UT state it is against the alw for two people of teh opposite sex to live together in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. It is a felony I am told. Kinda like polygamy is a felony in UT, but a mesdemanor everywhere else! Its messed up.
I don't know if this is meant to be a joke, or was said in seriousness.... but if meant in seriousness, it is incorrect. It is NOT against the law of the land, in the state of Utah, to live together as an unmarried couple.

Someone was pulling your leg.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:07 PM

51 posts, read 240,808 times
Default From the east coast

My husband and I simply moved here from the east coast for his love of skiing. We too checked out the possibility to moving to Co. but like someone else said you have to drive about 45 minutes or longer to ski. We chose Sandy for a rental home. You could rent a full 2000 sq. ft home for about 1200 a month now coming from the east coast your lucky if you can get a 2 bedroom apartment for that. I am living right against dimple dell park and my view is just so amazing that it will be hard to find a house with this view. We are in our 30's as well and we would love to live in Sugarhouse. Check it out! I bet you will love it b/c it's has older Craftsman and bungalow homes. If you want a drink you can join the private clubs you buy a membership for 8-10 bucks for the yr. worth it! Good luck.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:30 PM

550 posts, read 1,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahtornado View Post
Mormons tend to post mis-information to keep non-mormons from moving to Utah.
Please don't troll here - this isn't the place to do it

Old 04-05-2009, 04:35 PM

2,435 posts, read 5,712,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmejh View Post
Please don't troll here - this isn't the place to do it
No kidding. Us regulars get a little testy about things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or