U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:59 PM

445 posts, read 1,129,499 times

Advertisements

Ok, i posted a while ago about St. George and would like to hear from you guys, your PROS & CONS of moving/living to St. George....

We would be relocating from Southern California, we are 33 & 37, with 3 small children, 4 1/2, 3 and 6 months. We are not LDS, we are laid back, drink on occaision,(it is rare though) I have a couple visible tattoos, we are a tank top, thong type. We like to go to the river. My husband is outgoing and loud, I am a little more reserved, i am nice, but people assume i am not.

This forum has been great, we have been there several times, but just want to be completely sure and educated BEFORE we make any type of move, as we would be moving away from our family and aplace that we have lived for a very long time. We are just sick of the typical crappy cailfornia (orange county types) where we live now.

Please say where you came from, how long you have been there, kids or no kids, things you love the most/hate the most, or miss and don't miss!!!!

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!!

Old 08-21-2007, 02:59 PM

281 posts, read 802,193 times
Craven, I've writen before about small towns in Utah in general as we have lived 30 miles west of Cedar City for over a year now. I started kindergarden in West Covina went to high school in Tustin and bought my home in Riverside in 87'. As far as Orange County and Southern California "types" in general I've always kinda' looked at everyone there in two ways. One; people who moved there from somewhere else and try to adopt the image and lifestyle depicted in movie's and TV because they think that's what your supposed to do in California. And by the way, go broke doing it in many cases. Or two; people who realize they really had little choice where they're born and raised until they're 18, and get on with life the same as in Omaha, Toledo or SLC. And shake their heads at folks going broke trying to keep up with an image and lifestyle that doesn't exist except in minds of New York ad agencys and script writers. Case in point, The Beach Boys, God bless em', never surfed or knew anything about cars at all. Just like 98% of the population there today.
With all that in mind, if one of your desires is to get away from that sort of thing then St. George should do the trick. However as I think I've posted before it is a new fast growing, or at least was, tract environment and the people moving there will pretty much determine the ""lifestyle". Whatever is in place now will gradually evolve.
I've heard some folks complain they don't want it to turn into another Vegas. I don't blame them but on the other hand don't think anyone has anything to worry about. St. George will never have massive economic energy radiating from a money machine like "downtown" Vegas. It is also somewhat isolated. It has a few commuter flights out of it's airport. But because the consumer infrastruture may be percieved as limited many people make the trip to Las Vegas for their major purchases.
The discription of your husband is encouraging. He and I would get along fine it sounds. You mentioned you all drink very little. To be honest I'd say "So what?" As far as I've seen people in southern Utah drink as much or more than anywhere else regardless of any widespead impression that they don't. As far as any other preconceived notions people may have about Utah it's like California. It's really just like everyplace else only differant.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:40 PM

242 posts, read 726,383 times
Pro's:
family oriented
lower crime
slower pace of lifestyle
outdoor activity oriented
gorgous scenery
close to major atractions like Zion NP or Vegas
Close to California
helpful people
safe for kids to be out and about like kids like to be
Cons:
NOT CALIFORNIA! never will be
major shopping has to be done in larger cities at least 100 miles away.
produce (fresh) is not as good as SLC or California
Old family in control mentality
slower pace means people get to it when they feel like it (repair people)
Not a big cultural haven
No real appreciation for the arts
Hot, I mean it can really hot in the summer
If you are not outdoorsy, it has little to offer
medical that is just adequate if nothing major happens
low paying jobs
crappy made homes
extremely high real estate for what you get
lack of infastructure like California

BTW areorick, you probably went to HS with my sister in law. Hubbies family grew up in the same areas of OC.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:17 PM

281 posts, read 802,193 times
Well put Blondie. BTY Foothill HS 70'

Old 08-21-2007, 05:34 PM

12,150 posts, read 10,767,232 times
Good list Blondie.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:38 PM

26,128 posts, read 8,030,487 times
My Neice and her Mom live there and there is not much shopping wise and they are not LDS and they do drink. She came to visit in June and I asked her about not being LDS, she said she didn't see a whole lot of issue there. They drive about 45 mins to shopping and of course there is Vegas!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:49 PM

Aerorick

I could not agree with you more!!! I am a native, like you were, so i completely agree. My husband is more ready than i am, i think change is hard fo me, even though i know it is the BEST thing for us and our little ones.

I read something on another reply, i wanted to touch on.... It said something about LDS, and how the ones in Utah are different?? Anyone have any insight on that. I can't remember what post it was, but i just saw it today! and was curious!

Thanks All!!

Old 08-21-2007, 10:14 PM

That comes from the Native Utahans that are Mormon. They have always lived here, been surrounded by mostly all Mormons until recently. The Mormons in other states, ahve not been surrounded by other Mormons, and thus tend to be more accepting of new ideas. There is a saying in the church, Be in the world, but not of the world." in essence it means don't be afraid to be around other things, just don't indulge in say the drinking, or such. Which is what you find in Mormons in ohter states. Here because they had not had to deal with anything that was outside of their cozy rehlm, many found it hard to cope, and thus the idea of the bad Mormons got started. As those ideas and people have aged, and new generations have grown up more exposed to other cultures, ideas, and morays, that has started to vanish. Yes it is good to have new people here. Will the Mormons change? No. Will they be out to "Get You" if you do not conform to their ways? NO. The isolation bubble has broken, and with it the insulation that was felt has started vanishing. I understand both sides. I know enough to not push those who you know will not change. Yet there are many wonderful people who are not so hide bound.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the clear up, and i knew i could count on you for the answer!! I understand, and it does make sense.....

I know you said you have high speed internet, is it pretty much available in all areas of St. George?? along with like dish/cable??

Thanks, just wondering!

Old 08-22-2007, 10:58 AM

Yep all of that is available, just make sure your house is hooked up to the cable company for the internet. Our house was one of two in the whole subdivision that was not hooked up. The main cable going under the road from the internet ped box was broken. To fix that they would have had to tear out the road to get to it (supposedly) so when we moved in, they went to the street over from us, hooked up to the ped, which left the metal housing ajar on top of it, and ran the wires via the tops of fences to our yard. It looked like a clothesline. When it got to the fence directly across from the box on the ouside of our garage, then they dug a marvelous 1/2 inch deep trench to bury it in, it was all exposed and not even weather proof cabling. We (I did) fought with Black Rock the construction company that is subed out to the main internet provider in St. George (Baja Broadband). They kept sending these two kids out that spent more time in their truck doing who knows what than working. I stood outside one day watching them hoping it would speed things up. They had to come out every few weeks to fix their jerry rigged mess. The language they used was normal for the streets of California. I told them one day in exasperation that they were doing a "****" job. that did it. They got all offended that I used such langauage in their presence, packed up and refused to ever come back. I went to the Internet offices the day they were sold to another company. I sat in there letting every person that came in the door what had happened to me. Most of them walked out to go find another provider. Trouble is if you want high speed internet they are the onlyr eal game. You can get dial up or satellite style which has a latency problem that is unacceptabnle to hubbies employer (IBM). Dealing with subcontractors around here is a nightmare. It may get better nw that construction is starting to tank. Too many unoccupied homes and commercial space that has been recently built.

We did finally get the problem fixed. Baja sent out a new group to look at the problem, and it took them less than an hour to put a funky thing under the road and get the old cable out and a new one in to fix the orginal problem. Something Black Rock Construction could have done orginally, but preffered to send out the bobbsey twins to fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah