Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:55 AM

25,684 posts, read 18,770,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy88 View Post
Hi, we are currently in NM and looking to relocate to UT in the next few years. We have been up there several times but haven't checked out all the areas.

Can anyone tell us if any of these town/cities have an old fashioned "downtown" area. Active Mom and Pop type stores and cafes in an older part of town (not boarded up and abandoned).

The towns that interest us are:
Nephi
Provo
Orem
Pleasant Grove
Lehi
Lindon
Alpine
American Fork
Highland

Most of our exploring has been in the north and up in the mountain areas, but if we relocate that is not practical for employment. SL County does not interest us - too busy, too crowded, bad air quality. So we are focusing our next trip to areas south.

And if you have any input on any of these areas, please do tell.

Thanks!
Nope. All these are "urbanized"/"big boxized." No mom and pop downtowns.

You could check out Manti. It's very mom and pop, yet hasn't turned to a ghost town. Delta also comes to mind, along with Duchesne, Roosevelt, and maybe Vernal (although it's also "big boxizing"). Price.... eh, maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 AM

49 posts, read 131,557 times
Thanks Chrisc

Old 11-03-2011, 11:57 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times
I really like Logan's old downtown.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:18 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,320,354 times
I spent a summer in Coalville, way back in 1976. It had a nice downtown and an old-fashioned pharmacy with bar-stool counter and served phosphate sodas, something I had never seen before. I liked the feel of the town, but haven't been back since then so don't know the current state of the town.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:35 AM

We spent a day up in Coalville last year. There is still a grocery and a few small businesses there. It's on our maybe list. But I would want to work in Park City then considering the weather is probably a little more wintery.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 PM

97 posts, read 320,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Nope. All these are "urbanized"/"big boxized." No mom and pop downtowns.

You could check out Manti. It's very mom and pop, yet hasn't turned to a ghost town. Delta also comes to mind, along with Duchesne, Roosevelt, and maybe Vernal (although it's also "big boxizing"). Price.... eh, maybe.
I second the mention of Roosevelt. I served part of my mission there and one of my favorite memories of there is an old fashioned Soda Fountain/throwback to the 50s place called Marion's Variety. Great place to get away from big box stores, but it's mostly a farming and oil town. Another big downside is it's 120 miles from Provo and about 140 miles from SLC. Not to mention, I heard temperatures in Winter can drop as low as negative 30.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:02 AM

Those all sound good. I will add them to our list to check out. We plan to come back out in the spring when I have more vacation time.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:08 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,935,382 times
For a "big" city, Provo has a surprisingly old fashioned and intensely walkable downtown. I don't understand the "big box" comment about Provo because it just isn't true about its downtown. (Orem, on the other hand, is nothing but a big box nightmare--or paradise, depending on one's point of view.) While downtown Provo does have a couple of large banks and some government buildings, it's otherwise full of small, locally owned shops, restaurants, and cafés. I imagine once the old tabernacle is converted into a temple, even more life will be pumped into Provo's quaint downtown.

Check out this thread at flickr of pics of downtown Provo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/provoimages/sets/72157594523490522/detail/ (broken link)

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 11-11-2011 at 06:17 AM..

Old 11-11-2011, 08:28 AM

Thanks JMT. Yes, that sounds good also. Even if it's an old downtown that has expanded into a larger city. We have some kind of an attraction to the feel. Nostalgic I suppose. I also feel good about supporting small business. Will add Provo to our check it out list.

Note: We spent a little time up in Ogden during our last visit. Downtown Ogden. If it wasn't sooo far north and if I didn't have to drive through SLC to visit all our friends, I would seriously consider it too. I don't mind being far away (like out east or down south) if the drive is a lot less stressful. That drive - north and south through SL is not pretty .

Old 11-11-2011, 03:06 PM

97 posts, read 320,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy88 View Post
Thanks JMT. Yes, that sounds good also. Even if it's an old downtown that has expanded into a larger city. We have some kind of an attraction to the feel. Nostalgic I suppose. I also feel good about supporting small business. Will add Provo to our check it out list.

Note: We spent a little time up in Ogden during our last visit. Downtown Ogden. If it wasn't sooo far north and if I didn't have to drive through SLC to visit all our friends, I would seriously consider it too. I don't mind being far away (like out east or down south) if the drive is a lot less stressful. That drive - north and south through SL is not pretty .
It really is incredible how much of Utah's population is is the Wasatch Front(Brigham City to Nephi). I'm not terribly familiar with the area south of Utah County(although a quick look at a map shows how undeveloped it is compared to Utah/Salt Lake County), but for Duchesne/Roosevelt/Vernal, it's a great drive up Provo Canyon to Heber City. Going East from Heber, you'll pass through a very small town called Fruitland after crossing into Duchesne County, but the first real town, like with gas stations and restaurants is Duchesne, 70 miles from Heber. Roosevelt and Vernal are each about another 30 miles east respectively.

You should also add Heber City and Midway on to your check out list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: