U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,463 times
Default Moving from Hawaii to Utah...help!!!

Hello everyone,

I've been doing research on cities to live in Utah and came across this website. I read several posts similar to my topic but decided to post a thread specific to my situation. Anyhow, this is my first time posting so here goes:

My husband and I are considering on moving to Utah. We have two children, one and two; and we are LDS. Although we prefer to live here in Hawaii, we'd like to experience somewhere new which will provide an affordable cost of living and to raise our children in a safe and LDS-oriented environment. My husband has the opportunity to transfer to Utah (the job is located in Salt Lake City, I just don't know where exactly). Where are some nice communities to live? We prefer to have close access to stores, parks, and anywhere nice and safe to raise our little ones. One of our friends recommended to live in Eagle Mountain or Saratoga Springs. Are there any other places you recommend? My husband's job doesn't require him to go to the office in SLC (he pretty much works on his own), so we are open to any areas. I am thinking of St. George. I know it's far from SLC, but close to our family in Las Vegas. What is St. George like? Would you recommend St. George? Anyway, any suggestions are welcome. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:10 PM

13,623 posts, read 8,774,762 times
My recommendations (in no particular order, since I'd need to know more about your income, where your husband's job would be located, how new a home you're interested in, etc.) are:

Cottonwood Heights
Holladay
Sugar House
East Millcreek
East Sandy

Old 01-10-2012, 09:17 PM

4 posts, read 7,171 times
i asked the same question in my post. lol
My hubby is an electrician and a member of our local union in Ohio. Any idea how the building trades are doing in Utah? I am studying to be a nurse. Here in Ohio, the two of us could make a decent living with those careers provided my hubby works steady in this economy. How is it there?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 PM

THanks Katzpur. I appreciate your suggestions. I will look into it. We are wanting to rent for a bit...get the feel of Utah...and if everything works out, we'd like to buy a home there. We would like to rent at least a two bedroom apartment/townhome between $600-$1000...in a fairly new community. We are currently renting our 2 bed/1 bathroom townhome here in Hawaii for $1300. Are those communities you mentioned located in Salt Lake City? On the list you provided, which do you prefer most?

Hi kbeenj...i just read your post lol...sorry about that. I hope we both can find the answers to our questions

Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazidee View Post
THanks Katzpur. I appreciate your suggestions. I will look into it. We are wanting to rent for a bit...get the feel of Utah...and if everything works out, we'd like to buy a home there. We would like to rent at least a two bedroom apartment/townhome between $600-$1000...in a fairly new community. We are currently renting our 2 bed/1 bathroom townhome here in Hawaii for $1300. Are those communities you mentioned located in Salt Lake City? On the list you provided, which do you prefer most?
I think you could find a nice place within your budget, but you'd probably need to plan on closer to $1000 than $600 (which wouldn't get you someplace you'd want to live ).

All of the areas I mentioned are either actually part of Salt Lake City proper or just adjacent to Salt Lake City. I have lived in Cottonwood Heights for about 30 years and have been really, really happy here. There are some apartments and townhomes not too far from me, and some are relatively new. Holladay may be a bit more expensive than Cottonwood Heights, but not much. Sandy would be roughly equivalent to Cottonwood Heights, price-wise, but is a little further away from downtown Salt Lake. Just as a frame of reference, I can get from my home in Cottonwood Heights to downtown Salt Lake in 25 minutes.

Sugar House and East Millcreek are a little older... well, quite a bit older, but that's mostly with respect to homes. There are newer apartments in both areas, probably more in Sugar House than in East Millcreek. Both areas are a little closer to town than the others I've mentioned.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 AM

15,930 posts, read 27,790,964 times
Don't know the price range but the Irving Schoolhouse apartments in Sugar House are VERY well located. Across the street from a shopping center which has a Whole Foods, dollar movies, Barnes&Noble, several fast food places, 1 restaurent, PetCo, Bed BAth&Beyond, a branch of the city library, etc. On a major east-east street (2100 South) and less than 1/2 mile to I-80 (I think).

Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 AM

3,259 posts, read 4,241,679 times
Quote:
(the job is located in Salt Lake City, I just don't know where exactly)
I am thinking of St. George. I know it's far from SLC, but close to our family in Las Vegas.
Your husband works somewhere in Salt Lake City, and you would like to live in St. George ?

How often will you visit your relatives in LV ?
Not really *that far* to LV from SLC ...

If your husband does not mind commuting 100's of miles to and from his job, how about Cedar City ... about halfway SG ?

Old 01-11-2012, 11:02 AM

Thank you Katzpur. We are currently looking at available townhomes/apartments in those areas you mentioned. Are there shopping centers, grocery stores, etc nearby Cottonwood Heights?

Thanks Southern Belle....I will look into that. I appreciate your input.

Irman, my husband's office will be located in SLC, but he works on his own, so we are open to various areas. St. George is probably out of the question, my husband would prefer to live up north closer to SLC, which I don't mind at all. We probably won't be visiting LV very much. What do you think of Cedar City?

Also, do any of you know much about Farmington? Any new development as far as homes/apartments? How about Eagle Mountain/Saratoga Springs? (A friend of mine recommended those areas). I've been doing research everyday because we will need to make a decision very soon. Thank you all for your time in responding to my post. You all have been extremely helpful. Thanks again. I'm off to look at rentals now...check back later

Old 01-11-2012, 01:19 PM

3,259 posts, read 4,241,679 times
Quote:
What do you think of Cedar City?
I have been in Cedar city a few times and like the smallish feel of it. Would not mind living there if I did not have the spread I have now where I live. Seems like everything you need is all there without having to get it from a *large city with all the big box stores*. It depends on your age I think. You are a young couple without kids and like to party a lot, Cedar City will not be for you.
Older couples like we are, would like it there. I need open space, and absolutely do not care for high rise buildings all around me. I *heard* that the winter can be pretty nasty there, but since I only heard about it, I am not sure if it is *that* nasty.
Come to think of NOT in the big city ? How about Filmore or is it Fillmore ? Or even Heber City ???

Quote:
my husband's office will be located in SLC, but he works on his own, so we are open to various areas.
Aha, then it really does NOT matter where yo settle your abode.

Quote:
Also, do any of you know much about Farmington? Any new development as far as homes/apartments? How about Eagle Mountain/Saratoga Springs? (A friend of mine recommended those areas).
Farmington is an older section of the area, and pretty well settled, but there are some newer developments around. You just have to look for yourself.
Eagle mountain (kind of far out) and the Saratoga (a wee bit closer) area ? Not half bad, and it all depends on what you are looking for. Your children are not school age yet, so you could move again in the near future to be closer to schools.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Thank you Katzpur. We are currently looking at available townhomes/apartments in those areas you mentioned. Are there shopping centers, grocery stores, etc nearby Cottonwood Heights?
Uh, yeah. Can you say "Gazillion"?

You might want to check out the Cottonwood Heights Community Recreation Center.

Cottonwood Heights is also close to freeway access, and within five to ten minutes from the mouths of Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah