U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,085 times

Advertisements

MY husband and I are looking to move to Manti, UT... But aren't sure about the area. Is crime really bad there? Is it a good place to have our little family? How are the schools? What's the area like? I'm LDS so being around other church members and having my kids grow up around them seems nice, but if the area isn't very good, we will look elsewhere. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 12:58 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,509,392 times
Been through there several times myself and have spoken to a neighbor that has relatives down that way. From what you've described you want and what you have you will be like a pea in a pod. PERFECTION. There is no crime to speak of as it is definitely small town America and close knit. I would think if I were LDS and had kids that would be an idyllic place to have them grow up.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:13 PM

3,448 posts, read 4,929,993 times
Comments inserted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenKayMommy View Post
MY husband and I are looking to move to Manti, UT... But aren't sure about the area. Is crime really bad there?

You ask if it is really bad there ... There may be some but not nearly as much as in the SLC area.

Is it a good place to have our little family? How are the schools? What's the area like?

If you like small towns, then that place will fit your needs. But, where will you earn your living ? You do have to take into account the travel time for work.
I apologise for not having any info on the school system. The area is country like with a bunch of farms all around. Kind of typical for the country side in Utah. If it was not for a Temple located there, that town would not be any different from any other small town in Utah. Good thing is, that it is within a reasonable distance from SLC. So not *in the middle of nowhere*.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:56 AM

180 posts, read 229,101 times
My wife grew up in Manti, so I am very familiar with it. No crime, other than when a bunch of high school kids went and clubbed a bunch of turkeys a few years ago. It is a great place to have a family, in fact many people would love to live there if there were any work. If you aren't a farmer or a wal-mart employee (there is one in Ephraim), then you won't find work. the schools are ok, as long as you understand that this is country type area, so the teachers are all hicks. My wife told me that in elementary school they taught her that "alot" was a word (not "a lot"). As far as the LDS thing goes, there are a lot of good members down there, but about 20 or so years ago they had some members start having their own secret meetings and some weird stuff was going on, so now there is a polygamist offshoot down in Manti/Ephraim. It has really dwindled in recent years, but they are still there. All that being said, I would kill for a chance to raise my family in a place like Manti.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:29 PM

6,686 posts, read 5,552,726 times
It's a quite scenic small town. Main street has been restored and there are many homes that date back to original settlers--everything from a small log cabin to large masonry Victorian homes. There are jobs down there if you are willing to work for a lot less than in the larger cities--I guess it would depend on what kind of debt you have. If you have no debt and live frugally, you could probably make it working in a convenience store, walmart (in the next town), or something. Rentals can be found for far less than in Utah Valley or SLC. Crime is nothing even close to the SLC area. LDS culture is dominant in the area. The entire valley is beautiful as far as Utah goes--a little greener than your average Utah setting.

Anyway, Manti is one of the prettier historic towns in Utah and very friendly.

BTW, saying that everyone is a "hick" or "redneck" in Manti is like saying everyone is a "gang banger" in SLC. Silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah