Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:54 AM

242 posts, read 1,116,704 times

Advertisements

I grew up in So. Cal. until I was 10. We had Santana winds. I guess no one but me felt them or had the bad sinus headaches they caused.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:38 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
Hi Blondie-Rabbit...oh I forgot about the Santa Ana's...devil winds...guess I didn't think of them cuz those are pretty seasonal...thanks for reminding me...at least we don't have those here and the havoc they create. Same here with allergies..I am having sinus headaches here, too, though...fall is worst for me..

I stand corrected! However, this is the driest place I have ever been, my skin feels like it's aged 10 years in 2.

Have a good day!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:46 PM

157 posts, read 624,025 times
I was raised in a small Northern California town surrounded by tall towering pines, fir trees and spreading oak trees...rivers lakes and streams that flowed clear.

I moved to Southern Utah just outside of St George a little over 2 years ago.
It took me quite a while to adjust to the open, barren desert- like terrain. It does have it's own beauty and uniqueness for desert landscape, red cliffs and so forth but I am homesick for the mountains of tall green towering pines and firs.

What I don't like about Utah:

* The extreme heat of summer and how dry it is. I feel like our whole family has turned into desert geccos with scaley skin!

* Way too windy!!

* All the rivers and streams in this area flow muddy brown and it hardly ever rains here with the exception of a downpour now and again which causes flash flooding.

* Pay is lousy and does not match the higher cost of housing

* Terrible water! Very hard corrosive water. We've had to replace 2 hot water heaters in less than a year due to water corrosion! Got a softener and reverse osmosis... helps a little

* I am non-LDS and most of the people in our town is LDS so everything is closed on Sunday but it is nice to go into ST George and have Costco so empty!

* I have been socially excluded for not being LDS but that's just the way it is and I'm sure many other religions will do that although I don't agree with it...too many churches have become country clubs today instead of what their main purpose is. When you get too many of the same kind of religion concentrated in an area it tends to make people a little more narrow focused-just my personal opinion.

* I don't particularly care for the way business is done here.. someone mentioned poor customer service and I second that.
Seems we have to call and badger a little just to have service work done or something delivered...just takes forever to get something done

* Don't like Sunset Blvd Car Company in St George-they cannot be trusted. My husband purchased a main street scooter from them and it broke down on the way to work the next day..he took it back to them and exchanged it for a Royal which they charged an x-tra $250 on top of the $4376 he had paid for the 1st one. Drove it to work the next day...same thing broke down in the middle of the busiest intersection in St George! Took it back and asked for a refund but they only gave him less than half of the full refund so he took them to a small claims court and the judge ruled them as lemons and told them to refund him for the full amount but they appealed and got themselves a lawyer...had a 2nd court hearing he arrived exactly 2 minutes late and when he walked in the court room was empty so he waited for a bit then went out to talk to the judge who then told him the case was closed and ruled against him and that was that.
So Sunset Car Co. got their junky scooters back but they still have almost $2000.00 that we'll never get back. Something's wrong with this picture

Sorry didn't mean to get off track maybe this should have been posted elsewhere

* Don't like that we're taxed on food items

* Some LDS families won't let their children play with my son while others don't mind so that varies from family to family-my son was invited to a birthday party of an LDS friend so we got a gift and went we invited them to my son's birthday and they never called oe bothered to show up. We still like them though
They are great neighbors to have, quiet respectful no loud obnoxious parties at least in our neighborhood

* The way people drive here-don't get me started! I suppose this problem is everywhere.

* There is some racial discrimination that I've seen but again this seems to be everywhere to varying degrees. Everyone is equal in God's eyes skin color shouldn't matter all our blood flows red.

What I like about Utah:

Mmm-mm? Wide street curbs

Red Rock Cliffs against bright green golf courses

General overall friendliness of the people here

Clean city and neigborhoods or at least the ones I've seen

Sunny blue skies-not in July & Aug!!

Patriotism

We now have our house on the market and are hoping to sell soon so we can move up to the Pacific Northwest. We really miss the green mountains and 4 seasons. Guess we weren't meant for the desert and we really miss our folks.

For those who read this post and are thinking about a move out here check it out for yourself because some absolutely love the desert here while others... well, others just can't seem to adjust to the culture or the climate.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:29 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
I ditto Debbee - we also moved here from Northern CA..I highly suggest RENTING before you buy..it's a great place for some, and a prison for others. Not for everyone. We are also selling and moving back home, mainly due to wanting to be closer to our sons..

Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 AM

52 posts, read 165,553 times
Hi Casselli's:
We have been living in SG for almost two months. We have a "mixed" household with both LDS and non-LDS. I have lived all over the Country, both coasts and somewhere in the middle. I love SG, for all the obvious reasons. The job market is better then where I came from and the housing costs comparable with "back home". There have been a few people that snub me because I am not LDS, but they are people I wouldn't socialize with on a good day. Some days I am amused by the LDS thing, other days annoyed. But those days I just have a Margarita and feel much better about the whole deal! I would, however, like to see some kind of club for us who are not LDS. It would be nice to let the old guard down and maybe pick up some survival skills and etiquette lessons for when they come a calling.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:47 PM

91 posts, read 483,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golightlygirl View Post
Hi Casselli's:
We have been living in SG for almost two months. We have a "mixed" household with both LDS and non-LDS. I have lived all over the Country, both coasts and somewhere in the middle. I love SG, for all the obvious reasons. The job market is better then where I came from and the housing costs comparable with "back home". There have been a few people that snub me because I am not LDS, but they are people I wouldn't socialize with on a good day. Some days I am amused by the LDS thing, other days annoyed. But those days I just have a Margarita and feel much better about the whole deal! I would, however, like to see some kind of club for us who are not LDS. It would be nice to let the old guard down and maybe pick up some survival skills and etiquette lessons for when they come a calling.
I think the religion issue is just as difficult or more so for LDS from outside Utah...at least the ones who are used to associating with people of all races and religions and not being exclusionary and rude to others. Those that have an impression of Mormons from their experiences in Utah are unfortunately mislead. The LDS church is very open and inviting to others in principle, but unfortunately fails in practice when members try to create strongholds of righteousness where they think no evil will penetrate if they keep outsiders away. One of my wife's associates moved here from North Dakota because he felt his sons were going to get into trouble without more LDS members around them. They ended up in far more trouble than they were in ND and in his own divorce. Mormons will try and flee from evil in other areas and come to Utah where they feel they will be safe. This is why many are unfriendly or if friendly have no desire to make any real friendships with "outsiders". I had seen this in a small degree in high LDS populations when I had lived in Southern CA and Phoenix, but became used to the openness and genuine nature of LDS people in the Chicago and Portland areas where they try to be examples to others and integrate into the mass rather than the opposite. To come to a place where you are avoided and ostracized because you weren't initially married in the temple was a shock to me. My wife is black and has been faithfully in the church since 3 years old, but many neighbors still made comments to my parents (who live here in St. George) that it must have been a disgrace for such a marriage to happen (being that my wife is the seed of Cain). This is an unfortunate and common misinterpretation of statements made by previous leaders of the church (they think that we and our children will burn in hell for mixing races) Overall, we are still faithful, diligent members of the church, but it makes attending church uneasy when there are always three chairs between you and the nearest person, no matter where you sit. The stares and comments by many of the "saints" here in restaurants and shopping centers grow old as well. I have never lived in an area where parents allowed their children to stare at people of other races and make rude comments without reprimand. These problems are to be expected, but unfortunately I expect more out of my own religion with the great leaders and doctrine that we have.

Last edited by thompson84606; 10-04-2007 at 01:03 PM..

Old 10-04-2007, 02:31 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times
General LDS Questions/Musings have been moved to the Religion Forum

Old 10-04-2007, 06:33 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times
Our family has been in Utah for 6 years, and LOVE IT. I am still regularly amazed at this fabulous place we found! We are from the east coast, and never had been out here until we packed up and went. Our family and friends thought we were crazy...but everyone who has visited is surprised at how much they like it here too (with some complaints about the dryness...the coast is so humid!).

We are not LDS. However, we attend the church and think very highly of it. Our kids have gotten baptized. In the next year we will be adopting a black child, and everyone has very positive things to say. Yeah, I realize that there's got to be a few who disapprove, but have only heard positives.

We have lived in lots of places, but we are in Utah for good!!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:34 PM

9 posts, read 26,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerone View Post
We moved from So. California about 1 1/2 years ago, the things I dont like:

The drivers, they are very inconsiderate.
Smog, I was amazed at how smoggy it can be during the winter.
Windy and Dry, I guess its the desert so I should have known.
I agree with you that the smog is suprising. I've lived in Cache Valley most of my life and I have to admit that the smog is actually very recent as far as Logan goes. SLC has had it longer, but then they're a lot bigger. It's very sad-you'd never see this ten years ago. The winter inversions are just awful.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:59 PM

4 posts, read 27,529 times
I moved here from Wisconsin. I love it and would be happy to provide more info. I am a realtor in the Park City area.

>Advertising Links Removed<
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: