Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:04 AM

43 posts, read 133,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkarbach View Post
I moved from Redondo Beach to Southern Utah. Redondo Beach was not windy nor dry. It was humid being at the beach.
I used to live in Hermosa before living in Monterey (my husband is military) - how I miss the weather there , just not the traffic!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:42 AM

9 posts, read 26,887 times
Default just a reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by golightlygirl View Post

As far as the LDS thing. Contrary to popular sentiment, it isn't like moving to the South and dealing with the Baptists.
Can I hear an Amen? lol. That is so true.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:47 AM

7 posts, read 32,194 times
I wish I had more time as there is so much to do here, I love it.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:41 PM

95 posts, read 476,028 times
Wink Amen to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritterz78 View Post
I moved here in Sept. I am originally from CA but have also lived in MA. I hate it here!!! I have been through almost half of the US and have never been in such a judgemental place! It is beautiful here....the mountains and the snow are great! But, that's about it! I moved here for a change and am very diappointed. I grew up around people of all faiths and races and am just used to accepting people for who they are. If you have the same view I do, you will not like it here! UT has some good points but unfortunately the people are not one of them! My neighbors said hello for the first week till they realized I am not LDS and do not attend church with them. I took a huge pay cut moving here, I make about 3 to 4 times less here then I did in MA and the cost of living is not that much less here. I only pay $50 less here for rent then I did in MA and make nothing out here! If you are female and looking for a corporate position....good luck! It's a man's world here in UT. I really don't care what someone's faith or belief is, I just can't stand people who are judgemental and hypocritical and that is all I have found here in UT. I am into animals and this is not an animal friendly place. Most people have pets, but just don't properly care for them. The east coast is a little harsh, but at least the people are not judgemental and they are friendly. I am always up for trying something new and living in new places, but had I known what the people here were like, I would not have come here!

I have been posting the same thing for the last year in this forum but got nothing but deleted and called a liar! Still after going through so many job interviews with all my experience and fluent in two languages, the wages are a joke and shameful.

How can anyone survive on 10.00 an hour??? There is rent or mortgage, food, medical costs and you need a car (due to limited public transporation) plus your car payment and all other necessitates in life.

It is very beautiful here but it's not worth living here and losing your quality of life. You can't live on beauty alone at least in California where I came from if you bump into someone that is rude or get bad service your getting paid good income and could go home and forget about it but here your life is faced with a poor employment, discrimation, machismo (it's a man's world), no diversity, no culture and no acceptance. The only thing that's changed has been more restaurants, more new homes, more new business buildings, improved streets, and a brand new state liquor store.

Nice place to visit but not to live unless you like to be abused.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:12 PM

95 posts, read 476,028 times
Default The truth of the matter is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Rabbit View Post
Yes it is axes that are being ground and out right hatred in some posts that have come out in this forum. You only have to read the back posts of those who bash the Mormons to find yes it is hatred. The OP of this thread is a perfect example of this in her past posts. ALL THE PROBLEMS associated with LDS/Mormons can be found in other areas of the country. The customer service issue is rampent in all states. I found it no different than the customer service I had in San Francisco area, or Nashville TN. Those places I've lived in the past 12 years. I find it is a national trend not just Utah. Yet those who are comfortable with the service they had where they came from come here and think it is new. Out of that past comfort zone it is a change, and it smacks you in the face when you move since it is not the norm of what you were use to.

As to the thing about cosmetic surgeries and the obbsession with appearance, It is also nation wide. It's just like the false statements the OP of this thread has made many times about how every Mormon has been divorced 3-6- or more times. That perpetuates the myths that because you find one or two, then all must be so. I do not believe statistics unless I see the sampling of questions, and how the survey was conducted. News agencies are nortorious for skewing the questions and the results. This is not to say that there is truth in it, but almost every time you will find that it is not as bad as reported. It wouldn't make as good a story if it was not enhanced. CBS should do one on the use of anti depresenants and cosemtic surgeries in say San Francisco area. SLC is a small spot compared to the rest of the state. Try So. Utah and wonder why the women down here seem to let themselves go? They definately are not obsessed with appearances, and have no room to complain about what someone else looks like.

Catrinac since you seem to only associate with just Mormons in SLC, I suggest that you go out and meet the other 51% of the population that by your assumptions wouldn't care what you look like. Or could it be that it was also non Mormons that were making you in your mind feel bad about what you looked like. You also stated that you had looked into plastic surgery long before you came to Utah. I'm glad you did what you felt you needed to do before you came here. I hope that it is successful and will help with your self esteem issues. If it doesn't, I would start looking at what other causes there are for your preceieved non acceptence.

I'm alsxo one who will say that many of the LDS?Mormons do lock step in and don't think. We are taught to be humble and accepting. Yet we are also told to learn and research out the answers for ourselves. Not all Mormons are alike. I'm one of the more outspoken ones. I've lived all over the country and a couple of other countries. I've seen the Mormon's in all of those places. Being conservative is not a religion, it is the religion that is conservative. In today's society you see people who are liberal and supposedly accepting of all ideologies, being extremely non accepting of anything that does not smack of their liberal views and you must lock step into their beliefs or you are considered evil or dimwitted. Now I ask is that any different from what the Mormons are being accused of in this state? Seems the kettle is calling the pot black.
Utah is what it is. Period. Nothing that you try to explain or give excuses for will make things better. As you see there are many that have vented out their fears, frustrations and concerns about how the LDS/Mormons represent themselves. Like I have said before...St. George has become one of the fastest growing cities in the nation with Californian money and of course with other transplants across the U.S.A., but most of all from those of us from California. We all came with money and wanted to live a better life. What's wrong with that? We are good citizens and colorful chaming people with an open mind. Something that Utah and afford to learn from us.

I don't have time to fabricate about knowing the truth that I have met many mormon/LDS people that have been married more then 3 x's. Why should I enhance the truth if it's the truth?

I have traveled to many other countries and faced during my travels in France, Italy, England... all over Europe aswell as Mexico and south America that their is culture and different religions and diversity. It's so wonderful to see and experience that, but when you compare Utah to other countries, it is nothing to be proud of. Utah needs to grow up and thank us for making St. George a beautiful place for many to live (as far as cosmetic construction).

This is America and have freedom rights to live where the hell we want to live. As far as I'm concerned...there are many other places to see and experience. I am not done as of yet.

Your not the only one that has traveled and so called "lived", dear.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:13 PM

242 posts, read 1,117,090 times
Casselli's is that all you have to contribute to St. George? Seems in past posts you have stated many times that is Californian's and their money that have forced St. George to upgrade it's look. What a crock. New places get built to the vision of some architect not becasue some Californian forced them with the influx of their money. Yep the outlet mall just did a big rejuvenation project. Guess what the facade was crumbling and they redid it. It would have happened whether Californians moved in or not. Bragging that a group, (IE Californians) brought money and forced change is absurd. The locals around here before the mass influx the past few years, didn't care if the outlet mall had a new facade. You will find that those who previous were here to the influx could care less that people came in and then wanted it to change. Like you said Utah is what it is. It is also not welcoming to people who come with attitudes that where they came from was so much better and we will force this place to change into the place we left. If the place you left was so wonderful why did you leave and move to Utah? Valid question. As you say it was for a better way of life. That leads a person to assume that where you left was not so good a place to be. If that is the case, why all the work at changing this place into what you left that was not so good?

Many people moved to the St. George Utah area to play the flip game. Others moved here thinking it so wonderful due to a magazine article. Yet those that moved here forgot a cardinal rule of moving and relocating. Research out the area first. Is the prevailing culture something you want to be around? Does the place have the ammenities you want? Are there jobs to support you in the new area? If you don't do the homework, then stop complaining. A school program in music in this state will not be the same as a music program in Los Angeles connected with a large philormonic orchestra. Night life here is a movie and dinner. Jobs suck pay wise. Infrasturcture is lacking. Scenery is great. Outdoor activies are plentiful. People are friendly but not if you want them to be forced to do what they culturally won't do. That goes for the long term non mormom locals as well.

I hear lots of good things about the Seattle area, much like they use to write about So. Utah. Would I just move there without visiting and researching out what it is like? NO!!!!!! First I hate humidity. Would I overlook that to race and get in before it is priced out of the market? NO!!!! Would I go there expecting it to become conservative because I am? NO!!!! it is what it is.

I suggest that the OP previous posts be read to see the ax being ground about this state. There it can be verified in those posts the assertions she has made, and changed from one post to the next. Yes this is commenting back to her post where she riles against me. It is being pointed out the inconsistency she has, and also the hatred she has for mormons. She is one of the people who wants to start or has started a NON mormon social group. Yet she claims she is not discriminatory. So when the it comes down to it, this thread seems to start out as an inocquious question. What it hides is a chance for those who are upset that this place is not CALIFORNIA to vent. As they say, get over it and grow up.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:42 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
uh oh you said the H word..you gonna get deleted How are you my friend...yes what you say is true, no matter, no one here unless they are non mormon transplants gets it anyway...

Old 01-31-2008, 12:48 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Casselli's View Post
but when you compare Utah to other countries, it is nothing to be proud of.
ouch. that seems pretty generalized. generalizations are ususally (another generalization...) the result of either shoddy research, or a highly emotional state, although there are occasionally other reasons.

i for one am very proud of utah. we are known as one of the outdoor mecca's of the world. we have world-class skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, four-wheeling, river-rafting, rock climbing, bouldering, canyoneering, hiking, fishing, and more that i amnot currenty remembering. in a number of these categories, utah is popularely ranked number one. world wide.

in my honest opinion, that is pretty cool.

that is my immediate thought about what utah has to offer. i might be inspired to write more of them later.

anyway, hope everyone has a good day. we are neighbors after all. no need to bicker. aaron out.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:47 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
ouch. that seems pretty generalized. generalizations are ususally (another generalization...) the result of either shoddy research, or a highly emotional state, although there are occasionally other reasons.

i for one am very proud of utah. we are known as one of the outdoor mecca's of the world. we have world-class skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, four-wheeling, river-rafting, rock climbing, bouldering, canyoneering, hiking, fishing, and more that i amnot currenty remembering. in a number of these categories, utah is popularely ranked number one. world wide.

in my honest opinion, that is pretty cool.

that is my immediate thought about what utah has to offer. i might be inspired to write more of them later.

anyway, hope everyone has a good day. we are neighbors after all. no need to bicker. aaron out.
It's a wonderful state if you do all of those neat outdoor things...some of us are not physically able to do those things, in our case, disabilities...so we see it a little differently I guess...

Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 PM

21 posts, read 52,502 times
Hi, I live in Idaho and I'm not mormon. I do have women friends who are and they have never tried to influence my views on anything....and they are wonderful people. I am thinking of looking for somewhere near St. George to spend winter, I have visited there before, and I don't think they treat anyone differently than people anywhere else do.
I believe you usually get treated in the same manner as you present yourself to others. That is almost always the case and I have lived in a lot of different states. I don't see any problem with alcohol having strick laws either. I love an occasional glass of wine but as we all know too many people have problems with excess. Moderation in everything is the key. Really. Can't we all just get along? :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: