U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 01:13 PM

10,489 posts, read 8,044,295 times
Default Curious about Mormons and Romney. Do all support him?

Hello everyone. First let me say that I have absolutely nothing against the Mormon faith and I don't think it's a cult. I think it's a valid Christian religion. It's just not my own.

I am not a supporter of Mitt Romney, but that has nothing to do with his religion. I'm a moderate Democrat and he is a fairly Conservative Republican, so no matter what religion he was, he would not get my vote.

Are all LDS people intending to vote for Romney? I mean it is a first. Sort of like when JFK ran and he was the first Catholic presidential candidate. From what I have read, some fence straddling RCs voted for JFK, who might not have otherwise done so.

Would you say that the Mormon vote is monolithic - or not?

Old 06-23-2012, 02:36 PM

13,549 posts, read 8,682,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Hello everyone. First let me say that I have absolutely nothing against the Mormon faith and I don't think it's a cult. I think it's a valid Christian religion. It's just not my own.

I am not a supporter of Mitt Romney, but that has nothing to do with his religion. I'm a moderate Democrat and he is a fairly Conservative Republican, so no matter what religion he was, he would not get my vote.

Are all LDS people intending to vote for Romney? I mean it is a first. Sort of like when JFK ran and he was the first Catholic presidential candidate. From what I have read, some fence straddling RCs voted for JFK, who might not have otherwise done so.

Well, it may be almost "monolithic," but it isn't quite. As a moderate democrat myself, I'm not planning to vote for him. I do know of other Mormons who aren't voting for him either, but we are definitely in the minority. The vast majority of Mormons are Republicans and would probably be voting for Romney regardless of his religion, though.

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-23-2012 at 02:51 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 03:14 PM
mlb

1,177 posts, read 879,686 times
We live in what we thought was a pretty republican neighborhood.... but after what Bush did to the country - we were surprised to learn when our neighbors admitted to us they were Democrats.

Democrats in Utah are pretty conservative. I say that as a midwestern born liberal Democrat (non-mormon) who lived in California for 15 years before moving here.

Orrin Hatch signs are up at another neighbors house - which kindof surprises me.... they are teachers. Retired teachers. Guess he does it for them - whatever.

We are very clearly in the Obama camp. It will be interesting to see/hear if our neighbors will drop the "D" and pickup the "R" in favor of Romney.

I won't be surprised.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:04 PM

I know many LDS people are Republicans to begin with.

I have some LDS friens and acquaintances. However I was curious.

I actually have respect for Orrin Hatch. Although I seldom agreed with him. He was a good politician. Romney is more problematic for me. That thing he did with his dog? Uggghhh. It bothers me on a personal level.

I think that the way we treat other species is a good indication of character.

He just strikes me as an interfiled rich guy. His religion for me is a non issue. I wish that it were for more Americans.

Gotta say, I'm a Lutheran and we have never had a Lutheran prez. But if he were a conservative he would not get my vote.

I don't roll that way.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:09 PM

618 posts, read 1,659,012 times
I'm LDS. I am also NOT REPUBLICAN. I'm a Libertarian, and I lean toward the more liberal side of that.

Having said that.... why not post this in the religion or political forum? You would get a much bigger response. There are way more Mormons outside of Utah, then inside it

Old 06-23-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
I'm LDS. I am also NOT REPUBLICAN. I'm a Libertarian, and I lean toward the more liberal side of that.

Having said that.... why not post this in the religion or political forum? You would get a much bigger response. There are way more Mormons outside of Utah, then inside it

Because more LDS people live in Utah than any other state and it's not really about religion.

Also, I did not want to hear the fundamentalist Christians preaching against Mormonism. Most likely that would happen. I am getting better answers here and no trolls.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:55 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,457,366 times
Quote:
I am getting better answers here and no trolls.
...and let's hope it stays that way....

Old 06-24-2012, 02:05 AM

973 posts, read 1,013,754 times
Quote:

We live in utah, are catholic, and I, at least, spoke with hubby exactly of this. I do live in a very LDS (I rarely use the term Mormon, except outside of Utah) 'hood of Utah. I have not specifically heard 'Romney love', but, I have heard a lot of 'Obama bashing'. Which, would lead me to believe my neighbors are voting for Romney. I will continue to educate myself before I vote. I lean WAY 'right' on one side, and WAY 'left' on the other. Lol

Old 06-24-2012, 07:02 AM
mlb

1,177 posts, read 879,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
We live in utah, are catholic, and I, at least, spoke with hubby exactly of this. I do live in a very LDS (I rarely use the term Mormon, except outside of Utah) 'hood of Utah. I have not specifically heard 'Romney love', but, I have heard a lot of 'Obama bashing'. Which, would lead me to believe my neighbors are voting for Romney. I will continue to educate myself before I vote. I lean WAY 'right' on one side, and WAY 'left' on the other. Lol
I've actually heard the same - and wonder if people may not vote for the presidency - but all the down-ballot races.

My hubbie had a conversation with the teachers who live across the street... we have an Obama sign in our window, they have TWO Orrin Hatch yard signs...(theyare a corner house)... what he heard from them is "all of them are liars" meaning they don't trust either Romney nor Obama....

Old 06-25-2012, 11:47 PM

591 posts, read 630,617 times
Hatch saved the Hill Air Force Base and continues to do so. Without the base a whole region will be doomed. He has my voice.

Romney is not perfect but I like him. Religion doesn't matter at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah