U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 PM

607 posts, read 892,456 times

Advertisements

I've noticed people from Utah are much taller on average than those from boston, nyc, california, etc Even considering its white people, Utahns are much taller and blonder overall, Why is this? When I go to NYC,boston, Chicago or california I barely see tall (naturally) blonde girls/guys.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:35 AM

710 posts, read 620,491 times
I've not noticed a difference.

Bill

Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,106,606 times
It depends on the basic nationality of the population base. In the east you have a lot of areas, that are very concentrated with certain nationalities. Italians as an example, are shorter than Swedes, on the average. Italians have darker hair than Swedes. There are a lot of Scandinavian and English ancestry in Utah as an example, among other nationalities. If you are from an area of the East with shorter, darker skin, or darker hair as the predominate residents, then they will seem taller and fairer in Utah.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:16 PM

3,465 posts, read 2,993,945 times
^Right on

Something I've noticed about Utah is that on maps of ethnic origin it stands out as an isolated English bastion whereas the rest of the English areas are predictably New England, the Atlantic coast, and the South. I wonder why that is, what the history is. For that matter, I'm curious as to why there would be more Scandanavians in Utah.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
^Right on

Something I've noticed about Utah is that on maps of ethnic origin it stands out as an isolated English bastion whereas the rest of the English areas are predictably New England, the Atlantic coast, and the South. I wonder why that is, what the history is. For that matter, I'm curious as to why there would be more Scandanavians in Utah.

Most regions in americans are supposed being dominated by "german americans" but the fact is many of those german americans are mainly british/irish ancestry, they forgot their largely colonial stock heritage and only remember more recent ancestors.

I'd say by far the most common ancestry (predominantly) among white americans is British Isles, followed by Irish, German, French and then Polish, Italian and Scandinavian.

According to a friend who worked in anthropology area estimated that 65% of white americans are of mainly british/Irish ancestry, 20-25 of german ancestry (mainly pallantine germans) and the rest being predominantly of different ethnicities such as polish, scandinavian, italian, french and dutch.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:30 PM

3,474 posts, read 5,099,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I'm curious as to why there would be more Scandanavians in Utah.
Probably because of the LDS Church ...

Sometimes I have the feeling for instance that there are more Swiss people in Utah than in Switzerland.
No true of course but ...

Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Probably because of the LDS Church ...

Sometimes I have the feeling for instance that there are more Swiss people in Utah than in Switzerland.
No true of course but ...
You mean swedish, Utah isnt known for its large swiss population.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 AM

3,474 posts, read 5,099,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
You mean swedish, Utah isnt known for its large swiss population.
Nope, I mean Swiss.

The SLC area rates number 6 for the concentration of Swiss ancestry in the nation.
Cities with the Highest Percent Swiss People

Haven't found a source for Scandinavian ratings yet.

BTW, Don_C ... how tall are you ?
If you are like me (5-3), everybody seems tall ...

Old 01-02-2013, 02:44 PM

618 posts, read 1,805,635 times
For the tall part..... that would have to do with the ancestry of the pioneers who walked across the plains. I know mine (who settled in Wellsville) were were from Norway, and they tend to have blonder hair, etc.

Although for the blonde part.... much of it has to do with peroxide when it comes to the female population here It seems that the a-line hair cut, bleached hair, and dark eyebrow look, arrived late in Utah (compared to other places in the country), and has stayed put. It is what it is.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Nope, I mean Swiss.

The SLC area rates number 6 for the concentration of Swiss ancestry in the nation.
Cities with the Highest Percent Swiss People

Haven't found a source for Scandinavian ratings yet.

BTW, Don_C ... how tall are you ?
If you are like me (5-3), everybody seems tall ...

I'm 5'9 and everytime I've seen those typical mormons from salt lake city I feel like a midget in comparison (they all seem to be 6' to 6'4)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah