Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 02:52 PM

229 posts, read 565,207 times

Advertisements

I like the Eagle Mountain area because it's away but not too far away from the lake and the general population. However, after a brief drive through of the area, we noticed several of the communities are designed for new couples with x number of little kids. Driving through some neighborhoods, we saw toys strewn about on lawns, etc. Just a bit too chaotic for what I'm looking for.

So the question - Are there any neighborhoods in Eagle Mountain, or perhaps Saratoga Springs, houses around the $215k price range, that are more mature, or maybe have a more strict HOA that doesn't allow for clutter and mess in the neighborhood?

If not those areas, any other newer places around Utah lake that are quiet, or whose residents are more mature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 02:04 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
LOL well good luck with that. Welcome to Utah. That is the "norm" around here, unless you're in a more mature area like say Sugarhouse, Holladay or Cottonwood Hts. and such. I think the term "run amuck" is quite appropriate as the kids rule and adults take a back seat in importance. Nobody apparently taught these new parunts how to raise and organize their broods, so what can one expect. But more of the same. I wish you lots of luck in your search.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
LOL well good luck with that. Welcome to Utah. That is the "norm" around here, unless you're in a more mature area like say Sugarhouse, Holladay or Cottonwood Hts. and such. I think the term "run amuck" is quite appropriate as the kids rule and adults take a back seat in importance. Nobody apparently taught these new parunts how to raise and organize their broods, so what can one expect. But more of the same. I wish you lots of luck in your search.
Dcsive and I sometimes disagree on topics, but he hit this nail right on the head.

The last place in the world you should live if you don't want to be around a lot of little kids is the Utah County area of Utah. I would daresay the average family size is at least one or two children more than the average in the rest of the country. The birthrate in Utah is the highest in the country--largely because of religious values.

Not to be rude, but this question is sort of like "I am a drinker and a partier and I want to know where in Utah I'm likely to find the neighborhoods where there are lots of other similarly minded people". The simple answer is there are few neighborhoods like that in Utah and if your lifestyle absolutely revolves around that sort of thing, you might be happier living in another state.

If you want neighborhoods in Utah with small numbers of children, I'd first try an "over 55 community". However, if you aren't over 55, that's a bit difficult. Second choice would be skip Utah County altogether and move to a neighborhood in the Salt Lake City area, perhaps like Sugarhouse. Although, I suspect there are a fair number of small children even there.

Utah is what is. You either adapt to it or find something better. Trying to change is pretty much not an option.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 AM

762 posts, read 2,117,611 times
Yep, lots of kids and young families in Sugar House in the last five years or so. The Avenues are still mostly child-free (though you have young, urban singles and college kids to deal with in the lower aves). But both are really out of your $215k price range.

An area in your price range and with fewer children is Central City in SLC, though in a few years the families starting to move in around Liberty Park will probably creep north and east and be in that area, too. You're really not going to get away from kids in Utah, but anywhere in Utah County is BY FAR going to have the most children. Everywhere. All the time.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
One of the more interesting demographic changes is happening in Sandy. Kids are grown and now cannot afford to stay in Sandy.... so we are gearing towards a more older population.

Only one family with two small children in my neighborhood. All other homes are adults only.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
One of the more interesting demographic changes is happening in Sandy. Kids are grown and now cannot afford to stay in Sandy.... so we are gearing towards a more older population.
Only one family with two small children in my neighborhood. All other homes are adults only.
Happens in many *older* neighbourhoods, like mine for instance (our house was built about 60 years ago).
I can drive around our neighbourhood and see only two yards with *playground equipment*. Mine and another *older* couple two blocks further.
We often have our grand kids over, so I built play ground equipment in our yard (hobby now - take pics from stuff at showrooms and then built for 1/3 the cost).
The rest of the neighbourhood, no kids at all ... (at least, I do not *see* them) and that is about a 5 block square, I think. There are some *newer* homes built around us (was a huge *farm* before, and we live in the original home of the owner of the land), but we never see kids. Those homes are also kind of big and pricey (big lots, 500K and up) ... which may be why no kids ? Which brings up the question: High income level, less kids ?
In summer, the people walking by our house are in *slow motion* - most of them grey haired ... often stop by for a *chat*.
Strange thing is that we are only three blocks away from a School ...

The only drawback we have (my personal opinion !!!), is that when we lived in another area/country, and our kids were still in their teens, we knew everybody AND their kids around us. Today, I only know the neighbour to my left and across from us ... The neighbour to my right lives on another street, and he built a 6 foot high fence all around his home ...

Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM

6 posts, read 10,943 times
No, sorry. <-- is the short answer. Eagle Mountain is a developing community with developing families.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:20 PM

427 posts, read 1,304,664 times
I would consider Eagle Mountain quiet in the fact that it's around, you know, absolutely nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah