Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:03 PM

66 posts, read 281,010 times

Advertisements

Wow it sounds beautiful out there. I know idaho is also very lovely, you're so lucky to live there. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 12:59 PM

602 posts, read 1,872,379 times
We have been in Utah for almost a year now. My boyfriend works in Logan and spends5 to 6 days a week up there. He loves the people there and his employees are mostly kids from the college (he really likes his staff as well). We have not had any issues with anyone who is LDS since we've lived here. The fact is, Utah was settled by Mormons and there are still a large majority of Mormons here, so there is no way to escape the culture or the traditions because it's woven into the history, people and places of this state. I don't forsee anyone harassing you about converting, in fact we haven't even been visited by missionaries since we've been here (it used to happen all the time where I moved from). My best advice to you is to treat others how you would want to be treated. If you don't want to be treated differently because of your beliefs/outlook/culture etc, don't treat the LDS (or anyone else for that matter) differently for theirs. I know that there are some jerky people in this state that think they are superior to others because of their religious beliefs, but I found that same fact to be true of people in the state I was raised in who were all different religions as well. I think it's a personality problem more than anything. I in no way want to say there won't be difficulties here or to discount others' personal experiences because I have no doubt they happen. I think however, that you will be less likely to face these type of issues up in Logan (as compared to Utah county). Just my two cents and hope this helps

Old 08-02-2010, 03:48 PM

Default I'd also like to ask some questions! non mormon but POTENTIAL USUer

Hello ladies, and any gents that happen to answer the forum I am currently living in Northern VA. I'm not a bleeding heart liberal or anything, but I'm not religious, somewhat liberal, and certainly not lds/mormon whatever the p.c. term is,lol. I'm very down to earth and really don't care about anyone else's beliefs as long as it isn't harming/belittling another person. I have heard a LOT about this happening in this state in the form of shunning, ignorance, harassment,etc. I have also heard a lot of good things but being so far away I would love to gain some worldy wisdom from anyone that's been there..whether you attended usu as a non lds or are mormon and made some observations..(but if you are lds and answer this forum please be honest and try to be non-biased, don't just say something nice to make your religion seem righteous)..I have asked questions on other forums and all I've received are angry mormon people accusing me of pre-judging them when all I want is some guidance.. THAT SAID obviously I wouldn't move there without visiting the place but it's hard to get a good feel for an environment over a brief visit too. the main reason I want to attend usu knowing what I already know and still wanting to move, is simply that I have always wanted to live in a beautiful, outdoorsy place and experience the west, and Utah is one of the few schools out west that has a music therapy program. Thanks for reading..and uh, helllllp

Old 08-02-2010, 06:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacdeming View Post
............. I have also heard a lot of good things but being so far away I would love to gain some worldy wisdom from anyone that's been there..whether you attended usu as a non lds or are mormon and made some observations..(but if you are lds and answer this forum please be honest and try to be non-biased, don't just say something nice to make your religion seem righteous).....................
My emphasis. Do you not realize how condescending this is? I don't think you'll do well here.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:26 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Hello ladies, and any gents that happen to answer the forum I am currently living in Northern VA. I'm not a bleeding heart liberal or anything, but I'm not religious, somewhat liberal, and certainly not lds/mormon whatever the p.c. term is,lol. I'm very down to earth and really don't care about anyone else's beliefs as long as it isn't harming/belittling another person. I have heard a LOT about this happening in this state in the form of shunning, ignorance, harassment,etc. I have also heard a lot of good things but being so far away I would love to gain some worldy wisdom from anyone that's been there..whether you attended usu as a non lds or are mormon and made some observations..(but if you are lds and answer this forum please be honest and try to be non-biased, don't just say something nice to make your religion seem righteous)..I have asked questions on other forums and all I've received are angry mormon people accusing me of pre-judging them when all I want is some guidance.. THAT SAID obviously I wouldn't move there without visiting the place but it's hard to get a good feel for an environment over a brief visit too. the main reason I want to attend usu knowing what I already know and still wanting to move, is simply that I have always wanted to live in a beautiful, outdoorsy place and experience the west, and Utah is one of the few schools out west that has a music therapy program. Thanks for reading..and uh, helllllp

I am sure if I look back at some of my posts before moving here I would be embarrased at how I thought then.

I would be willing to bet if you were dropped off in the middle of a city in northern Utah you would not notice anything different about how you are treated or how people act. Other than maybe people being nice etc. To me it is a great place with great people and the only thing I notice are lot of LDS churches.

I wish people would stop worrying so much about the Mormons, they are great neighbors.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM

See?? this is EXACTLY what I am talking about!! I was not attacking the mormon faith, that's my point. Of course if you take that sentence out of context it looks bad. I was not putting mormons down but saying that a lot of religions-NOT JUST MORMONS- when asked about how they treat others different from them, will act righteous about being good people rather than ANSWERING THE QUESTION which I guess I should get used to.. even people of my dad's faith do this. I never treat people any differently than myself, but based on people I know who have lived there and what I have heard it is very conservative and people may not want to be your friend once they realize you are not interested in converting to their faith. Please stop attacking me for asking a fair question and don't take everything to heart.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:34 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
See?? this is EXACTLY what I am talking about!! I was not attacking the mormon faith, that's my point. Of course if you take that sentence out of context it looks bad. I was not putting mormons down but saying that a lot of religions-NOT JUST MORMONS- when asked about how they treat others different from them, will act righteous about being good people rather than ANSWERING THE QUESTION which I guess I should get used to.. even people of my dad's faith do this. I never treat people any differently than myself, but based on people I know who have lived there and what I have heard it is very conservative and people may not want to be your friend once they realize you are not interested in converting to their faith. Please stop attacking me for asking a fair question and don't take everything to heart.
It is more about how people on forums act then how Mormons act. It all depends on how into a church people are. I know Baptists who only want to hang with other people from their church and strong LDS that do this also. Not everyone is hard-core into their faith, just like any denomination.

If someone shuns you (I have never seen this in practice) then move on.

I will say it does help to word things correctly, if you sound attacking people will attack back, no matter what faith they are.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Well, I'm not LDS to start with. But it really sounds like you have already made up your mind.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-03-2010 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-06-2010, 06:57 PM

427 posts, read 1,304,664 times
Logan's a cool place. There's a decent amount of diversity that stems from the University. Like everywhere in Utah, there's a high LDS population. Like all people, you may get along with some, and not others. Very safe place, very pretty, and really easy access to the mountains, lakes, winter sports, hiking, etc. It's a bit small, but growing. Logan is pretty developed, and the surrounding valley is pretty rural.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:15 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoMormon View Post
The issue of discrimination is an unfortunate human tendency. ... I personally think it's mostly unintended, and a result of people naturally having more in common with folks they hang out with more.

If you're walking down the hall and two guys are walking toward you waving at you, which one do you say "Hi" to first? The one you haven't seen since last Thursday, or the one who was just playing water balloon volleyball and eating banana splits with you at FHE last night?
You mince words well.

You present discrimination as some benign phenomenon of someone being more inclined to be friendly to someone who they recognize or identity with.

Now for reality, as reflected in Merriam Webster:

a : the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually b : prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment <racial discrimination>

Thus defined, discrimination can be seen as what it actually is- done based on the category which a person falls under, e.g. outside of my religion, rather than their deeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah