U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 03:30 AM

5 posts, read 5,044 times

Advertisements

Hello and good morning to all.

I have been lurking on this site for the last few weeks and I must have read over 100 threads getting some information and alot of the regs here have been so helpful to others that I thought I'd give you some more questions about Utah.

Here is some of my info:

My girlfriend of 12 years and I lived most of our lives in Maryland. The last 7 years we have lived in Pennsylvania but worked in MD. We both work at the same job and the plant is closing. About 2 years ago, when I kinda sorta saw this coming, I started thinking that I didn't need to stay in PA. That if the plant closed I might want to go somewhere and start a new chapter in my life.

We both get a nice retention bonus for staying until the end and 2 weeks pay for every year we've worked here. (24 weeks for us) I am applying for work on line.

So I did lot's of research and, for various reasons, it seems to be Utah is a top choice for me.

I have almost 2 decades in electromechanical assmebly in the defense industry and my partner has the same in the logistics field. Her 18 year old son would be coming with us so we don't really need to be worried about schools. As far as housing goes we have decided that we don't really need to buy a house so all we are looking for is a nice 2 bedroom apartment.

Is there any where in between say South Jordan and Layton that might suit our needs better than somewhere else?

Both of us are quiet, down to earth, type of people who just want to get along with everyone and live life the best way we can.

I will be trying to talk my other half into taking a little trip out to just drive around and see the sights.
But that might be a hard sell to her unless I catch a good deal. Lol

Any questions will be answered as quick as I can as I am at work right now and there isn't one thing to do. (sad but true)

Thanx,
Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 07:51 AM

2,306 posts, read 5,092,168 times
Keep in mind that the government has it's sights on cutting back at Hill Air Force Base who is the largest employer also for people in Utah working in the defense industry, so this may NOT be the perfect switch to make here. ATK, another employer for such people might be acceptable IF they are hiring ( I know a while back they had a huge layoff) but all this should be researched and have communication with prior to a move here IMHO. Too bad you couldn't move SOUTH rather than up North. We've already had plenty of controversy over our horrific air quality from Provo to Ogden and traffic is getting slowly worse than ever as well. It's not all roses, although I'm sure some others that will chime in will paint some pretty pictures. Just do your homework before you make such a move. If I were you I'd be looking more at Boise than Salt Lake.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:54 AM

Thanx for replying dcisive.

I'm not sure either of us will be in the same business. With the sequestor and the defense industry taking a hard hit like it is.

And I am in the process of looking for work in the area before we pack up and move. But that isn't the only thing that is making Utah one of our final choices. We are trying to take into account housing, crime, weather, etc.

South is not out of the realm either. Although St. George might take some long conversations with my girlfriend. She kinda wants the four seasons thing.

Why did you recommend Boise? Better job market? Lifestyle?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 AM

2,306 posts, read 5,092,168 times
I don't know what your thing is, but if it were me I'd be looking real hard at Cedar City. Why? Not only is it very close to some of the most dramatic landscapes on the planet and for recreation, but it has MUCH lower of all types of crime compared to Northern Utah in general. Less population density overall but still with acces to the necessities. A short enough drive to a decent airport in St. George. All in all depending on the job thing which could of course be more of a challenge in Cedar City, it's a nicer place overall to live.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:12 AM

2,447 posts, read 5,902,361 times
LOL...Northern Utah really doesn't have four seasons either, however. It is SUPPOSED to be spring right now. Given the chance, I would do St. George in a heartbeat!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 AM

I will do some investigating on the St. George area.
We will use all the info we can get.
Thanx for the input.

Last edited by EastCoastKen; 04-17-2013 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-18-2013, 11:10 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,278,966 times
St. George is horrific. It's incredibly hot and it's super Mormon. It's also fairly isolated - Cedar City is about 50 minutes away, and it's a city of less than 30,000. I don't think it would be a good idea to go there unless you already have jobs lined up and/or you have family there. It doesn't make sense to limit yourself to a very small metro area. It HAD a huge growth spurt, but that ended in 2009 or something.

SLC would make more sense if you were to move to Utah. It's much larger, and you're within an easy commuting distance to places like Layton (in the north) or Provo (in the south) if you find jobs there.

There are four seasons here, but Spring and fall are pretty short. They're usually the couple weeks where you can't decide between using your heater or your air con. It's mostly Summer (hot and dry) and Winter (cold and dry and snowy).

Someone mentioned Boise - I think Boise is a great city. It's gorgeous, and I think it's growing. I know people who live there, and they love everything about it. But really, I don't know why you'd limit yourself if you have to. Look at SLC, look at Boise, look at Spokane, Denver, Eugene. Basically, look at any nice cities and apply for jobs and wherever you get a job, move to. Once you're out here, you can take three-day weekends and drive around, and maybe after a couple years, decide to move again.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:46 PM

21,888 posts, read 22,024,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
St. George is horrific. It's incredibly hot and it's super Mormon.
St. George is very hot in the summer, but very comfortable in the winter. It's a dry heat, so even though it gets hot, it doesn't feel anywhere near as hot as a more humid climate with a lower temperature would feel. And yes, it has a high population of Mormons. Anyone who hates Mormons would be advised not to move there, or anywhere in Utah, for that matter.

Quote:
It's also fairly isolated - Cedar City is about 50 minutes away, and it's a city of less than 30,000.
On the other hand, Las Vegas is quite close, and much larger than Salt Lake City.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:01 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,278,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
St. George is very hot in the summer, but very comfortable in the winter. It's a dry heat, so even though it gets hot, it doesn't feel anywhere near as hot as a more humid climate with a lower temperature would feel. And yes, it has a high population of Mormons. Anyone who hates Mormons would be advised not to move there, or anywhere in Utah, for that matter.

On the other hand, Las Vegas is quite close, and much larger than Salt Lake City.
Las Vegas isn't "quite close" - it's nearly two hours away. So why does it matter if it's bigger than SLC? My point in talking about the size of the SLC metro area, and it's proximity to other cities/metro areas like Layton and Provo, were in consideration for the fact that the OP and his partner need jobs. Why would anyone move to a small city with no other city of good size within an easy commute when they need jobs? It's extremely limiting and would be a poor choice if you don't have 1) a great job already lined up, where you feel confident it'll be long-term employment, or 2) family/friends in the area who could help you out.

to the "hate Mormons" comment. I don't hate Mormons (I grew up Mormon) and I live in SLC, but I still would find living in St. George oppressive.

Here's a general comment about Mormons: they have tons of church activities, and therefore, there is going to be some exclusionary behaivor. And that's understandable! I'm not picking on Mormons for this. It's normal that anyone who goes to church events 2-3 times a week (church on Sunday, youth activities, relief society activites, priesthood activies, scout activities, etc.) will be busy the other times of the week at home, or with their kids. And it's normal that someone who's not Mormon won't go to Mormon activities. What that means is that Mormons end up hanging out with other Mormons most of the time, which means that even at events that aren't Mormon, the Mormons who know one another (and are friends) are likely to hang out together. This makes it extremely difficult for non-Mormons to feel like they're "part of the club" (because, after all, they're not). In St. George, 92.5% of religious people are Mormons - that's a huge figure. It will be difficult for non-Mormon out-of-towners to make friends. Point blank.

Obviously, if the OP and his partner are Mormon, then they'll fit right in, in St. George. But I still wouldn't recommend it as a good place for employment, especially if they'll be starting new careers.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 PM

21,888 posts, read 22,024,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Las Vegas isn't "quite close" - it's nearly two hours away. So why does it matter if it's bigger than SLC?
I suppose it's all relative. When I was in high school (here in Salt Lake), I met a girl from St. George. I asked her, "What on earth do you do in St. George?" She said, "We go to Vegas for fun." Yeah, it's a longer drive than I'd want to take to have some fun, but a lot of people seem to be okay with living that close to a large city.

Quote:
Why would anyone move to a small city with no other city of good size within an easy commute when they need jobs?
Personally, I wouldn't, but I wouldn't move to a large city without a job either.

Quote:
to the "hate Mormons" comment. I don't hate Mormons (I grew up Mormon) and I live in SLC, but I still would find living in St. George oppressive.
Hey, calm down and take a deep breath. You don't need to roll your eyes at me. I can't recall having made any personal accusations. You said, "St. George is horrific. It's incredibly hot and it's super Mormon." Yes, it is both, and for those reasons, some people would describe it as "horrific."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or